Snap on v VCDS

Reaction score
Hi all,
A mate of mine reckons the Snap on diagnostic tool can sort all the same problems a Rosstech VCDS can do.
Is this correct?
Thanks Mark.

Ask him if it can do everything that PoCom can do. The Porsche specific diagnostics tool. Or the other manufacturer tools like BimCom for BMW or LDAS for Lambo etc.

Any tool "designed" for everything, will be very unlikely to surpass anything solely designed for the purpose for one manufacturer.

There's a reason there are specific diagnostics. They all can't do it all.

Reactions: B7Tourer
The only other device I know of, besides VCDS (and VAG's own VagCom), that can reach all the control modules (there are 25!, for example on my basic S-line) and code them, is OBDEleven . Though as far as I know it is not quite as extensive as VCDS. I have coded some things with it such as Nordic DRLs, locking beep etc. but nothing major. It's well worth having IMO, for any VAG owner as opposed to professional mechanic, since it is simpler, cheaper and less complicated to use than VCDS. I doubt the Snap On is any better since, VAG has to approve access to these modules and OBDEleven is officially supported by them.

Last edited:
The only other device I know of, besides VCDS (and VAG's own VagCom), that can reach all the control modules (there are 25!, for example on my basic S-line) and code them, is OBDEleven . Though as far as I know it is not quite as extensive as VCDS. I have coded some things with it such as Nordic DRLs, locking beep etc. but nothing major. It's well worth having IMO, for any VAG owner as opposed to professional mechanic, since it is simpler, cheaper and less complicated to use than VCDS. I doubt the Snap On is any better since, VAG has to approve access to these modules and OBDEleven is officially supported by them.

The latest Snap On device is a pro tool. It's superb.

OBDeleven is a DIY tool. It's superb for what it is.

They're not comparable, but if it's for home use, you likely won't need the Snap On kit.