Selling My S3 - Options?

jaypers777

Reaction score
So after over 7 years from new, I am saying goodbye to my beloved S3 and hello to an RS3. New car is still in Ingolstadt and waiting to be allocated a boat.

Big question is the best way to sell on my S3. Whoever has it will be getting an amazing car……..absolutely mint condition, completely original, garaged from new and cherished. Only done 23k and high spec (see my signature).

Trade in is book price of £15,800. Audi say that issue is the age for them as they don’t generally sell second hand cars more than 5 years old, although he did concede that they may make an exception with mine as it’s so good.
Purchase site such as WBAC maxing out at £16,055.
Local prestige trader has offered me £17,500 which I am considering.

A little nervous of advertising privately for obvious reasons so interested in anyones thoughts on this. Many thanks.
B39E68FB D1FD 40E1 B0C3 41A54FD1323C

Last edited:
The local guy sounds like the way forward. Decent return for a seven year old car. Private sale has a number of drawbacks , time wasters etc . Depends how quickly you want to sell I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jaypers777
Hi mate looking at your age spec and the low mileage, it’s worth a lot more than £17,500 at today’s used car prices. On Autotrader for a start, lesser spec models are starting at just under £20k, I’d definitely stick to your guns and advertise it for more. The cheapest white one DSG on there at the mo is £21k with less spec and almost 16000 more miles.

Dealers are awash with overpriced stock and with petrol at £9 a gallon, demand for cars that do less than 30mpg will suffer. Many people may be a bit more careful with their disposable income in the immediate future to pay for gas, electric, food and a jump in rent or mortgage payments.
The car price bubble has burst and values will soon be falling fast.
You could try asking advice on an Audi forum with the hope that someone reading it may be interested in buying a 7 year old PFL white S3 for top money with no warranty or comeback. Or, in your shoes, and with a new car arrival imminent, I'd be thinking "I've lost less than £2k a year on an S3 I've had from new", take the £17.5k on offer and run.

Reactions: Jassyo06, jaypers777 and Scotty75
I always used to trade my cars in with the dealer I'm buying the new car from. Some of it was for the convenience of not having to front the financial overlap and the rest out of laziness.
My last 2 cars I've sold privately after buying the new one.
When I sold my S3 8V I made an extra £2.5k in 4 days and my SQ5 8R I got an extra £3.5k. It honestly was the easiest £6k I've ever earnt
I think it's easier now to do this with the likes of WBAC, Cazoo and Motorway giving better deals than the dealers as its still a guaranteed win if you don't sell privately.
My son's just bought a 19 plate Golf GTi and he's doing the same with his Ibiza Fr as he's been offered £1k more already.
If its a decent spec .......it will sell!

If you don’t want to deal with tyre kickers and general idiots coming for a test drive then take the £17.5k locally. That’s a good price on a 7 year old car. It’s a pain selling privately even though you could get a grand or 2 more.
I remember last time I tried to sell a car and had loads of idiots coming offering peanuts even though the ad said wbac offered £x and they were offering much less then there’s the idiot who said they will take it and be back with money next day somehow came back next day with a grand less saying wbac says it’s worth that much so told him to **** off.
last time I checked my s3 8v motorway was over a grand better than wbac which i was very tempted but I needed a car and nowt to buy. Also wasn’t waiting a year or more a car so decided to keep mine.

Reactions: Matt Titanium and jaypers777
I have always sold my cars privately, except for my Focus RS back in Oct as Cazoo paid me silly money. If you write a decent advert and price it sensibly on Autotrader you will find a buyer. If someone is actively looking for an S3 then yours is ideal as it’s history will be more appealing than whether it’s come from a shiny dealership. Whether I’m lucky or I can just tell if someone is a time waster during their first telephone contact I don’t know, but I’ve never had any dodgy buyers or tyre kickers turn up. Bank transfers are the safest but if they have cash then go to your bank with them and get them to pay it in so you don’t even handle it, that way if it’s dodgy the bank will know.
Part ex is very easy but that ease will cost you £000’s. Try your luck privately and if no good then take the middle ground of £17.5k at local trader (if that’s a firm price after appraisal and not a chat over the phone).
Good luck!!

Mate, I bought my A3 S-Line 1.4 35 TFSI (2017) last year with 110.xxx KM's for €24.500,- so your S3 is well alot more worth then your 17,5 you talking about.
Atleast, on the Dutch market it is.. (if your steeringwheel was on the proper side of the car :D )

Exciting upgrade to the RS3! Selling your S3, though bittersweet, is a journey. I sold my car privately last year and had a smooth experience. Check out enthusiast forums or local listings, as well as sites like https://www.sgcarmart.com/sell-car/. You might connect with someone who'll appreciate the mint condition and high spec. Best of luck!