Facelift Rear view camera operating modes

Mikeso51

Reaction score
I recently retrofitted a 5Q0 980 566B rear view camera to my 2017 MY (facelift) Audi A3 Sportback. I used a kit from AliExpress. The installation went smoothly, and following the coding instructions supplied by the vendor the camera worked first time. My question relates to the 6C module which is built in to the camera. This was pre-coded by the supplier, the coding being 02 73 01 01 02 00 20 01 40 00 40. Byte 7, currently set to 01, seems to determine the operating mode of the camera. However there are 6 options described in VCDS, and I would be very interested in understanding what they all do. The descriptions in VCDS are as follows:

Bit 0 Correspondence_HMI_RV_Mode 1
Bit 1 Correspondence_HMI_RV_Mode 2
Bit 2 Correspondence_HMI_RV_Mode 3
Bit 3 Correspondence_HMI_RV_Mode 4
Bit 4 Correspondence_HMI_RV_Mode 5
Bit 5 Correspondence_HMI_RV_Mode 6

Not exactly obvious!

Maybe one for @DJAlix, but if anyone else can explain what these options do I would be very interested to hear.

I have the exact same 5Q0 980 566B retrofit but used one of DJAlix partners to install mine, VagPro in Leicester. My coding for MY17 S3 Sportback with f+r PDC & rear camera 0272060102002001400040

Regarding your question I noted this in a post here but no idea where they obtained the details from. My or may not be relevant but Googling hasn't returned much but did see your post on Ross-Tech forum but answers weren't very useful.
Byte 07 - Bit 0 to 1 = Guides across
Byte 07 - Bit 1 to 1 = Guides parallel
Byte 07 - Bit 2 on 1 = Guides Trailer
Byte 07 - Bit 3 on 1 = Guides cross
Byte 07 - Bit 4 on 1 = Guides park steering assist installed

Thanks for the reply Harvey.

That helps a bit. Trailer mode is described in the car manual, but no mention of any other modes, so maybe they aren’t relevant to A3. Like you, my camera is set for Mode 1, “guides across“ (whatever that means), and works fine. I still wonder what the other modes do. I’ll maybe try enabling them one at a time and see what the difference is.