Facelift Fitted a leather airbag cover to the S3.

s3mad_dude

Noggies ruuuule!
Reaction score
With the recent addition of swanky “extended leather” armrests on the front doors of my 3dr facelift Noggy S3 (rears still to do but haven’t had time yet) I thought I’d see about fitting a leather airbag cover that the TTRS has. It’s not possible to fit the TT airbag over to the S3 wheel so I had a custom airbag cover made online. It took about 4 weeks from point of order to delivery. I was impressed with the quality and the leather really smells good!!

I wasn’t particularly looking forward to this job but I found a really helpful tutorial for the smaller facelift airbag cover on YouTube.

Overall I’d say the most difficult part is releasing the tabs for the original airbag cover. For me I could release one side easier than the other. I just kept going and eventually after about 30mins I got it off :yahoo:

Once the airbag cover was removed it was a simple case of swapping over with the leather replacement and re-fitting. Not difficult but take your time and sit down at a table and swap over carefully.

After refitting and admiring my work, I reconnected the battery negative lead and turned on the vehicle. Well…..I must have had about 10 errors pop up on the dash! I’ll be honest I really thought I’d broken something!! I went through the list of failures, “steering fault - you can continue driving” didn’t inspire me with confidence, but when I saw things like “park assist: unavailable” I thought this must be to do with the battery being disconnected as I hadn’t touched anything to do with that. So, I took the car for a short drive and all of the faults disappeared except for “cruise control unavailable.” I stopped the car, restarted the engine, and then that was gone too. I cleared all the error logs when I returned home with VCDS and the car is now back to normal.

I disconnect the battery and reconnect it all the time on my old 2002 8L S3 and it doesn’t complain about anything but these days, modern cars are clearly very sensitive about disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.

Anyway, here is a before and after pic. I’m really happy with it. What do you all think?

DD6-EB70-E-6230-4-A16-90-EC-4353-ACCF0-CF6.jpg

0428-CE05-6-E1-A-4-EE9-BA5-C-E218-ABEE1-A50.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MPH, Harvey and GGP
Surely that's a pretty big safety issue as the original splits in half should the airbag deploy?

Yeah I had that concern before I bought it, but the new cover is the same as the original so it should behave no different. It had all the same markings on the underside as the cover that was removed.

Yeah I had that concern before I bought it, but the new cover is the same as the original so it should behave no different. It had all the same markings on the underside as the cover that was removed.
Ahh ok so it's just the outer part that's leather. The centre looks different with the embossed letters that's all.
Safety issues put aside it does look nice

Thanks, yes the outer leather is really quite thin but I still asked for the “airbag” and horn logo to be embossed for a more “authentic” look. I’ll be keeping the original cover anyway so I can always revert back should I wish to, or if the leather doesn’t wear well.

Last edited:
I like this. It’s the small little touches that makes it’s your own and puts a smile on your face

Reactions: MPH
Great work ,looks good , I have the leather airbag on my tt but it's only made with black stitch, would love the silver to match the rest of the extended leather

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

@s3mad_dude Like the airbag cover. I saw your post for the 40w speakers, if still available please could you send me a message