Audi A3 sportsback 2013 2.0 TDI my audi has a couple of issues the first being it is losing coolant after long journeys when parked up ?

Danmac

Reaction score
Hello
I have an Audi A3 sportsback 2013 reg about 40,000 miles in very good working order usualy but of late i am having problems with losing coolant , after a long journey when i have parked up my coolant header tank is boiling over and losing coolant ! the next time i drive it i get a message almost straight away saying check coolant , pop the bonnet and sure eenough my header tank is alomst empty ? this has been happeing only after long journeys , so i have replaced the header tank twice , replaced the header tank cap , checked everyting for leaks none found ? have a mate who is a mechanic so he has checked it out as well as running diagnosic ob his computer with no joy ? can anyone shed any light ?
also i have noticed that when its cold it sounds very tappity or loudish when drining on low revs and also sounds lumpy if you no what i mean.
any help would be much appreactied as i dont want to take it to Audi as they pull your pants down .

many thanks
Dan

Hello i have checked the coolant cant see any contamination a little discoluoration of the coolant , but no gunk around the oil cap

Hello i have checked the coolant cant see any contamination a little discoluoration of the coolant , but no gunk around the oil cap
I am going to change the Timing belt and water pump ? to see if this makes any differnce ?

In my head the coolant is getting extra pressure over what it should. This is why it’s coming out the coolant bottle. The cap and if you look to the side there’s a flap, these are pressure release valve if coolant is under too much pressure.
head gasket can cause this
Water pump but in my experience the impeller breaks and you have opposite problems
Potential bad remap
Faulty egr as coolant goes through this and potentially anything that has coolant passing it.
List goes on I’m afraid.
hope it’s not an expensive fix for you.

I had a similar problem to this with coolant, at first i thought it was being triggered when it was doing a regen and after... It went to the garage twice, kept doing it.
Third time they pin pointed the problem to being a blocked heater matrix... Other symptoms of this was heating sometimes working/ sometimes not, to the point I had no heat in the end.

In my head the coolant is getting extra pressure over what it should. This is why it’s coming out the coolant bottle. The cap and if you look to the side there’s a flap, these are pressure release valve if coolant is under too much pressure.
head gasket can cause this
Water pump but in my experience the impeller breaks and you have opposite problems
Potential bad remap
Faulty egr as coolant goes through this and potentially anything that has coolant passing it.
List goes on I’m afraid.
hope it’s not an expensive fix for you.
Hello There , thank you for your coments i cant see any eveidance that there is an issue with my Head gasket ? but i am no expert , it all just becoming a nighmare ! my car is in great condtion only done about 40,000 miles 2013. noyt sure what to do now

I had a similar problem to this with coolant, at first i thought it was being triggered when it was doing a regen and after... It went to the garage twice, kept doing it.
Third time they pin pointed the problem to being a blocked heater matrix... Other symptoms of this was heating sometimes working/ sometimes not, to the point I had no heat in the end.
Hello there , thanks for your coments - sounds intersting but from experinace my internal fan works well ? have had no reson to put heating on , but blows out cold air fine - would it still do that if the heater matrix was blocked ?

Hello there , thanks for your coments - sounds intersting but from experinace my internal fan works well ? have had no reson to put heating on , but blows out cold air fine - would it still do that if the heater matrix was blocked ?
If the heater matrix is blocked, it will only blow out cold air as there would be no coolant flowing threw it to create the warmth, hence causing pressure to build and escape from the coolant expansion tank. None of this had an effect on the fan speed.

Initially my heating would work for a few miles then go stone cold until the point it wouldn't throw out heat at all, even from the start of a trip.

Like you, I also changed the expansion tank with no luck of solving loss of coolant.

When i took it to Audi they tried changing the tank, the cap, swapped a sensor on the exhaust before finally deciding to replace the heater matrix.... after the third visit to them.

Behind the service counter there was a sign saying; "Know one knows your car better"... Seeing that repeatedly started to be rather annoying!!

Reactions: Sandra
Morning All
well the saga continues ! i had my mate change the water pump ( which has signs of wear) and a new timing belt kit and it worked fine for a day or so and now i am back to the same fault !! after a long drive my Fan in not kicking in and my car is boiling over from the coolant header tank !!
i am confident that it is soething to do with the Fan not coming on after a drive ??
does anyone have any other ideas ??
appreacite any help

Dan

If the heater matrix is blocked, it will only blow out cold air as there would be no coolant flowing threw it to create the warmth, hence causing pressure to build and escape from the coolant expansion tank. None of this had an effect on the fan speed.

Initially my heating would work for a few miles then go stone cold until the point it wouldn't throw out heat at all, even from the start of a trip.

Like you, I also changed the expansion tank with no luck of solving loss of coolant.

When i took it to Audi they tried changing the tank, the cap, swapped a sensor on the exhaust before finally deciding to replace the heater matrix.... after the third visit to them.

Behind the service counter there was a sign saying; "Know one knows your car better"... Seeing that repeatedly started to be rather annoying!!
Not really, as the diesel cars have an extra electric heater core that is used on warmup..
You can actually put it on or off from the mmi menu..

A blocked heater core is still one of the options!

Head gasket is easy to check. After a short drive, let the car go stone cold then remove the coolant filler cap. If you hear a hiss and there is pressure in the header tank when cold it's likely got in there via a leaking gasket. Or do a "sniff test". A device containing a coloured liquid that you bubble air out of the header tank through. If you have combustion products in the air, the liquid changes colour. Any mechanic, even rookies should have this kit.
If the problem creeps up on you after a long run to the point the car boils, I'd look at insufficient cooling. either a blocked rad or more likely faulty thermostat restricting the coolant flow (however that works on the diesel). The cars, especially diesels should never really need a cooling fan to run unless stuck ticking over in traffic for a long period of time.
The other possibility - is the system air locked. Has it not been fully bled and you are suffering "after-boil" when you turn the engine off? If the car boils and the fan hasn't kicked in it could be a coolant sensor.
You should be able to read coolant and oil temps yourself using a cheap OBD device such as a bluetooth ELM 327 that can be bought for around £5-10 on eBay and some free software on you phone. Or Carista for £25 if you want to play with some or the settings on your car.
Don't just pay for someone to indiscriminately change parts without diagnosing the root of the problem.

Last edited:
Afternoon
Well the next stage is i have bought a new Engine temprature sensor so when i get this instaled i will let you know ?

Afternoon
Well the next stage is i have bought a new Engine temprature sensor so when i get this instaled i will let you know ?
Hi
I was reading your problem so I decided to register because I had same or similar issue.
When it comes to coolant leak it is exactly nightmare because the number of possible faults are too to many.
I have Audi A3 tdi and had problem with coolant. But it was only happening when I decided to replace cambelt and water pump kit.
I have purchased £100 kit with modified water pump which is non-switchable and after 6 months, so now I had problems with coolant. And mechanic checked it and concluded it is water pump gone faulty. So I was arguing on ebay with the seller and they obviously don't want to send me refund or replacement.
So I have purchased second-hand OEM water pump from ebay for £25 new is like from £70 and up. I really can't spend anymore money because mine car becoming money pit !
I so much regret I was doing cambelt and water -pump replacement and didn't kept used parts mechanic said just put it in the bin.
So mechanic fitted OEM pump and showed me faulty pump how the red coolant been leaking through the small hole. Then after driving the leaking sorted but I still had leak and then I was searching on internet checking other websites.. etc and people mentioned coolant tank cap and not closed properly but when I opened it,
I spotted that something is inside. like little cushion the end or corner popping up from coolant when there was no enough. And I remember I didn't see it there before or was smaller. So I have decided to remove it and on internet I read that this is filter gel filtering coolant BUT the problem was it was blocking the bottom sink where s pipe connected.. So basically blocked circulation because it was soaked and big it didn't came out easy. It needed hard pull. So I have removed it and since then I have no problems whatsoever with coolant ! The thing is when mechanics messing with parts and doing cambelt then they put tank on side they put it up side down moving with it so that filter will move too. So this filter will block circulation and then pressure by pump will create because cannot pump and that's why coolant tanks reservoirs has safety upper bleed or leak hole if this happens otherwise it would explode by high pressure.
But I want to point out that even blocked DPF and EGR can cause trouble the temp. sensor then reading temp wrong the car will not tell you particulate filter on dash the fault is stealth , silent.. until something goes wrong.. Mine DPF pressure sensor got melted completely plastics it was crazy ! I had to cut the wires, even connector got melted .. So I have replaced new connector, purchased new on ebay pre-wired 3 wires, soldered and it is Ok I have reset the fault, but when I driving faster the error will pop up again DPF sensor intermittent.. So I will need DPF filter clean and EGR ASAP! So I suggest you too. Same guys above mentioned air blow centre flaps, if they are stuck and won't open it will make backward pressure.. and push coolant again, so sometimes pipe will not resist so will pop or will leak through the water pumps etc..
Hope this will help you sort the problem out..
Now I need to sort another problem with my AC... Yeah mine care became a nightmare this summer ! Mechanic fixed leak and refilled AC gas and the one hose pipe was moved towards the radiator and its fan, touching and melted through the hose and the whole AC gas again gone vaporised and I have paid £200 for regas !!! Ridiculous !

Attachments

• coolant_3.png
    coolant_3.png
    852.5 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Any signs of moisture in the cabin in the passenger side footwell (assuming rhd car)?
I recently changed the matrix on my mates 2014 8v tdi after it was, like yours, losing coolant. She didnt have it boiling up tho. Also dont the same on my mk7 GTD Golf. I would also change the header tank for the "non silica" version like i did, so theres no risk of the bag failing in future again

Where abouts are you based?

I had exact same symptons, changed the heater matrix and all good for over a year since. First issue I noticed was that heating would only blow hot on the passenger side.
Done the job myself and its not difficult, the new matrix was about £120 off the top of my head.

Reactions: AJK and rvtb101
I had exact same symptons, changed the heater matrix and all good for over a year since. First issue I noticed was that heating would only blow hot on the passenger side.
Done the job myself and its not difficult, the new matrix was about £120 off the top of my head.
Thanks for the advice & help , the thing is my heater works fine ?

Any signs of moisture in the cabin in the passenger side footwell (assuming rhd car)?
I recently changed the matrix on my mates 2014 8v tdi after it was, like yours, losing coolant. She didnt have it boiling up tho. Also dont the same on my mk7 GTD Golf. I would also change the header tank for the "non silica" version like i did, so theres no risk of the bag failing in future again

Where abouts are you based?
No sings of moisture in the cabin ? my heating works fine ? cheneged the header twice allready ?? ****** Cars

Hi
I was reading your problem so I decided to register because I had same or similar issue.
When it comes to coolant leak it is exactly nightmare because the number of possible faults are too to many.
I have Audi A3 tdi and had problem with coolant. But it was only happening when I decided to replace cambelt and water pump kit.
I have purchased £100 kit with modified water pump which is non-switchable and after 6 months, so now I had problems with coolant. And mechanic checked it and concluded it is water pump gone faulty. So I was arguing on ebay with the seller and they obviously don't want to send me refund or replacement.
So I have purchased second-hand OEM water pump from ebay for £25 new is like from £70 and up. I really can't spend anymore money because mine car becoming money pit !
I so much regret I was doing cambelt and water -pump replacement and didn't kept used parts mechanic said just put it in the bin.
So mechanic fitted OEM pump and showed me faulty pump how the red coolant been leaking through the small hole. Then after driving the leaking sorted but I still had leak and then I was searching on internet checking other websites.. etc and people mentioned coolant tank cap and not closed properly but when I opened it,
I spotted that something is inside. like little cushion the end or corner popping up from coolant when there was no enough. And I remember I didn't see it there before or was smaller. So I have decided to remove it and on internet I read that this is filter gel filtering coolant BUT the problem was it was blocking the bottom sink where s pipe connected.. So basically blocked circulation because it was soaked and big it didn't came out easy. It needed hard pull. So I have removed it and since then I have no problems whatsoever with coolant ! The thing is when mechanics messing with parts and doing cambelt then they put tank on side they put it up side down moving with it so that filter will move too. So this filter will block circulation and then pressure by pump will create because cannot pump and that's why coolant tanks reservoirs has safety upper bleed or leak hole if this happens otherwise it would explode by high pressure.
But I want to point out that even blocked DPF and EGR can cause trouble the temp. sensor then reading temp wrong the car will not tell you particulate filter on dash the fault is stealth , silent.. until something goes wrong.. Mine DPF pressure sensor got melted completely plastics it was crazy ! I had to cut the wires, even connector got melted .. So I have replaced new connector, purchased new on ebay pre-wired 3 wires, soldered and it is Ok I have reset the fault, but when I driving faster the error will pop up again DPF sensor intermittent.. So I will need DPF filter clean and EGR ASAP! So I suggest you too. Same guys above mentioned air blow centre flaps, if they are stuck and won't open it will make backward pressure.. and push coolant again, so sometimes pipe will not resist so will pop or will leak through the water pumps etc..
Hope this will help you sort the problem out..
Now I need to sort another problem with my AC... Yeah mine care became a nightmare this summer ! Mechanic fixed leak and refilled AC gas and the one hose pipe was moved towards the radiator and its fan, touching and melted through the hose and the whole AC gas again gone vaporised and I have paid £200 for regas !!! Ridiculous !
Thank you for the message ! sounds like you have been through it too ! when i repleced the coolant header tank the first time there was no desicant pack in it so did not have this problem , ??

Head gasket is easy to check. After a short drive, let the car go stone cold then remove the coolant filler cap. If you hear a hiss and there is pressure in the header tank when cold it's likely got in there via a leaking gasket. Or do a "sniff test". A device containing a coloured liquid that you bubble air out of the header tank through. If you have combustion products in the air, the liquid changes colour. Any mechanic, even rookies should have this kit.
If the problem creeps up on you after a long run to the point the car boils, I'd look at insufficient cooling. either a blocked rad or more likely faulty thermostat restricting the coolant flow (however that works on the diesel). The cars, especially diesels should never really need a cooling fan to run unless stuck ticking over in traffic for a long period of time.
The other possibility - is the system air locked. Has it not been fully bled and you are suffering "after-boil" when you turn the engine off? If the car boils and the fan hasn't kicked in it could be a coolant sensor.
You should be able to read coolant and oil temps yourself using a cheap OBD device such as a bluetooth ELM 327 that can be bought for around £5-10 on eBay and some free software on you phone. Or Carista for £25 if you want to play with some or the settings on your car.
Don't just pay for someone to indiscriminately change parts without diagnosing the root of the problem.
Good Morning Matt , thank you for your meassge , i have replacyed the enegine temp sensor as well now but still losing coolant after a long drive ? i am really getting to my wits end with thisa car now :( i might see if i can get what you suggest done bubble or sniff test and see where that leasd
cheers
Dan

Thank you all for your help and advice !
My Bloddy Audi is getting on my nerves now - Replaced coolant header tank twice, and cap once , new water pump and timing belt kit (good one- not from ebay) replaced engine temprature sensor , gallons of coolant , and yet my car still loses coolant after long drive ? my heaters work fine , no gunk on engine oil cap ? i am not sure what to do now ?? my fan deos not come on as much as it used to ??

Thank you all for your help and advice !
My Bloddy Audi is getting on my nerves now - Replaced coolant header tank twice, and cap once , new water pump and timing belt kit (good one- not from ebay) replaced engine temprature sensor , gallons of coolant , and yet my car still loses coolant after long drive ? my heaters work fine , no gunk on engine oil cap ? i am not sure what to do now ?? my fan deos not come on as much as it used to ??
It is not leak but over pressured.. you would have to strip the whole car engine and probably check all rubber hose pipes which are connected to colant circulation radiaors. Or radiator can be blocked too. There are tons of reasons.
I have still colant leak only when I floor the peadal, so sudden fast accelerate and fast driving. It squirting out from reservoir tank .
I am going for proper DPF and EGR carbon clean which can cause packward pressure back to engine and pushing then colant out. They will remove exhaust and properly will clean DPF and remove EGR and clean it .
I noticed weird like small motor running sound somewhere near engine like it is struggling to pass or circulate colant even I park and turn engine off.

Hello Audi sport net
well the saga continues , have done a sniff test and after the third time engine a little warmer colour changed indiacting combustion gases in the coolant ! so after my MOT spoke to the mechanic told him whats been happening he sugested i try Kseal whic i did and after a couple of runs no coolant leakage , which i think may well indicate the head gasket ( which everyone sugested ) ****
does anyone know of a garage to trust ?

Morning all!
Sorry to jump on this thread but I’m at my wits end with the same issue!
Audi A3 Sport tdi 2013 also - I’ve had issues with my heating for just over a year and a small coolant leak to start. And not heating at all. It progressed to the point my car never had coolant. Took it to 4 garages including Audi who all done test and couldn’t find the solution. I eventually made the decision to have a new head gasket as I thought this would help the issue. The engine light was on too.l eventually. I’ve had a new head gasket, had the head pressure tested and levelled. A new water pump, thermostats and timing chain. The issue seemed resolved until I hit 60 miles after the repair and all the lights came flooding back on. My coolant is back to being empty. I have no idea what to do. It’s been in and out the garage since I got it. Seems like it’s a common issue with these cars. Please help! There is no leaks. And I’ve exhausted every option. The heating still doesn’t work and now my aircon which did work now won’t. The light won’t stay on.

Last edited: