Help Please Black Roof Rail Damage

soulsurfer

Reaction score
Website
www.xdents.co.uk
I made the mistake of having my car cleaned by someone that used a chemical, despite asking them not to use it. When I removed the roof bars I found the black roof rails were stained. Is there a way to correct this?
Many thanks
b77542ce1befa478909d57b81248fb93.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Which part were the roof bars fixed too in the image shown?

I'm trying to understand what's happened here as the area around it looks dark like the rail needs to be & it's the lighter shade where a foot pack was sat, rubber part, it's a bit hard to work out without a pic of the bars fitted.

That’s exactly it, it’s where the rubber foot was sat.
I suspect the chemical got under the rubber foot and did this damage as it wasn’t rinsed off.
Is there a way to repair this?

Ahhh ok.

You sure it's just not a case of, the cleaner did a good job on the visible area & it just needs the same attention to the now uncovered part to bring it up to spec with the rest?

Have you tried anything this far?

It may not even be the cleaners fault as it's maybe the foot pack has caused this.

I’ve only tried to clean it using the usual car shampoo, I was wondering if any other products could possibly fix it?
I took it up with Thule when it happened and they confirmed my suspicions

I honestly wouldn't believe Thule, I really don't think it's the cleaners doing, the foot pack rubber probably caused that mate, not the 1st time I've seen that happen tbh as rubber itself when hot & compressed can excrete something's.

My old S3 8L years ago did something to my paintwork also, luckily the lacquer compounded back to normal.

Back to black

Reactions: soulsurfer
Considering those roof rails are metal, I would suggest a solvent-based product like 'Koch Chemie Eulex', or if you don't want to wait, AutoGlym Tar and Glue Remover from a local Halfords. The latter isn't as strong, but it's certainly got a lot more poke than car shampoo. Pop some rubber gloves on, grab some fresh, clean microfiber cloths and apply the solution undiluted onto the cloths, and then apply light pressure back and forward over roof rail. You have rubber seals running parallel to the roof rails, which you do not want to touch with these products, so be careful. If in doubt, cover them with a towel or cloth while you do this just in case you make contact. The same applies to plastic. It's worth trying, although I fear the black pigmentation has come away from the foot pack making contact, which really can only be corrected with a respray of that small area.

Reactions: soulsurfer and NHN
I tried Autoglym tar remover, as I already had some, but it didn’t touch it. I did have reasonable success with a multi-solvent and carb cleaner. There’s still some residue, but I’m happier with it now. Next time I wash it, I’ll probably use some back to black.
Thanks for all your help.
C6D62012 FC13 48F8 9F3E AD18E567C5A8

Reactions: pelhamsdetailing