Whining noise on reverse?

Spinstorm

Reaction score
I remember a few people mentioned this before but I had this issue for a few days after I got the car and then it stopped. I thought maybe it was down to the car not being driven much as it was fairly new.

But over the last week, it has started doing it again. When I reverse I get a loud whining sound. It’s not every time but it’s happening enough that it is annoying.

I think it is coming from one of the front wheels but not certain about this. Anyone else has this?

The wheels/brakes and squeaking at slow speed.
I reversed the other night and had to stop halfway through and put earplugs in ( ok massive over the top, but it was not a good sound. )
I’m blaming the heat and if it doesn’t stop I’ll be going full Basil Fawlty on the car

Reactions: 8YARWY and Jassyo06
The wheels/brakes and squeaking at slow speed.
I reversed the other night and had to stop halfway through and put earplugs in ( ok massive over the top, but it was not a good sound. )
I’m blaming the heat and if it doesn’t stop I’ll be going full Basil Fawlty on the car
Heat will expand all sorts of parts in any car especially plastic

• Haha
Reactions: Mastachaz, 8YARWY and AndyVWR
@jassyo06 yes, good point. It struck me that is (hopefully) the reason behind it.
here’s hoping for cooler weather.

Reactions: 8YARWY
I don’t think this is heat related although it’s intermittent and only when reversing and I can’t feel anything. Just hear a noise which stops when I press the brakes.

It reminds me of the squeaking breaks bus noise I had on my 8V which came and went but happened when breaking not reversing!

Now I have squeaking on breaking like a ****** bus! Plus the noises when reversing.

I had Audi Assist (AA) come out to look at the car. Unfortunately, I got a young guy who didn’t even bother jacking up the car to properly look at the brakes but he said he thought it was brake dust or something rubbing but nothing serious.

I guess I need to take it to Audi.

Now I have squeaking on breaking like a ****** bus! Plus the noises when reversing.

I had Audi Assist (AA) come out to look at the car. Unfortunately, I got a young guy who didn’t even bother jacking up the car to properly look at the brakes but he said he thought it was brake dust or something rubbing but nothing serious.

I guess I need to take it to Audi.
Under certain conditions brakes will do this, dust build up, glaze, under use, overuse, air temp, humidity etc.

Won't be anything serious and will probably get fixed with a clean or copperslip.

Reactions: Mike.46