Continuous rattling noise A3 8Y Sportback (dashboard rattle?)

G86

Reaction score
Hi everyone, since December 2021 I have a new Audi A3 8Y Sportback Advanced 35 TFSI S-Tronic MHEV and since March/April 2022 (so since a few months) I have a very disturbing rattling noise that presumably comes from the passenger side of the dashboard.
I also have the feeling that the rattling noise is more persistent when it is hot outside. Also, I only hear this when I drive straight or when I steer to the right. When I steer to the left, the rattling noise is completely gone.
I have attached a sound clip: you hear the rattle noise continuously for 30 seconds. Is there anyone who has an idea of the reason and the solution?
Because I first find out before going to the dealer who may prefer to be deaf to solve the problem.
The Audi currently has 15,000 km on the odometer.
Thank you!
Downloadlink (.mov audiofile coming from other forum - sorry): https://www.audiworld.com/forums/at...board-rattle-audi-a3-ratelgeluid-20220718.mov

I heard similar sounds on my two previous cars so cannot comment which it is. The sound is like trim pressing on trim. On a Seat Leon, they solved it by removing and re-tightening the A-pillar trim. On the Volvo V40, it was the ticket holder rubbing against the windscreen, more noticeable on warmer days or after the car has been parked in the sun, I put some white-tac for that one. Guessing you are not based in UK (where it's very cold now), plus we do not have Advance trim level here (only Technik, Sport, S-Line, Edition 1, Vorsprung). Either that, perhaps re-arrange what's in the glove box, and see if it solves? I once drove and listened with my glove box open just to rule that out.

I heard similar sounds on my two previous cars so cannot comment which it is. The sound is like trim pressing on trim. On a Seat Leon, they solved it by removing and re-tightening the A-pillar trim. On the Volvo V40, it was the ticket holder rubbing against the windscreen, more noticeable on warmer days or after the car has been parked in the sun, I put some white-tac for that one. Guessing you are not based in UK (where it's very cold now), plus we do not have Advance trim level here (only Technik, Sport, S-Line, Edition 1, Vorsprung). Either that, perhaps re-arrange what's in the glove box, and see if it solves? I once drove and listened with my glove box open just to rule that out.
Thanks for your feedback! :)
I live in Belgium and it is also cold here at the moment. So at the moment I hardly hear the rattling sound.
I myself think it comes from the front right, but my girlfriend (passenger in front) says she hears it from the back left. That is very strange.
I've driven around without luggage several times, so nothing in my glove box (also open) or in the boot. The car as it comes from the factory with me as the only extra in the car.

I live in Belgium and it is also cold here at the moment. So at the moment I hardly hear the rattling sound.
I myself think it comes from the front right, but my girlfriend (passenger in front) says she hears it from the back left. That is very strange.
I've driven around without luggage several times, so nothing in my glove box (also open) or in the boot. The car as it comes from the factory with me as the only extra in the car.
Location of sound in a car can be misleading. Maybe when the sound is back, try driving with rear armrest down, seats folded, sealtbelts (in rear) stowed or any combination. Else get your GF (now I know this i tricky, I've spent a while to convince mine to) sit in the back and press parts of the seats or area to see if the sound stops when pressed. Sometimes in the heat when trim or fabric expands it does so just enough to rub against something. My previous Seat Leon (a while back) was the rattle master. Been to the workshop 4 times to fix, A pillar rattle, instrument panel rattle, door rattle. The latter they decided it was best to take the entire door trim off, and put a expanding foam noodle thingi, and that really stopped the rattle and even made the sound system better! All under warranty.

Hi everyone, since December 2021 I have a new Audi A3 8Y Sportback Advanced 35 TFSI S-Tronic MHEV and since March/April 2022 (so since a few months) I have a very disturbing rattling noise that presumably comes from the passenger side of the dashboard.
I also have the feeling that the rattling noise is more persistent when it is hot outside. Also, I only hear this when I drive straight or when I steer to the right. When I steer to the left, the rattling noise is completely gone.
I have attached a sound clip: you hear the rattle noise continuously for 30 seconds. Is there anyone who has an idea of the reason and the solution?
Because I first find out before going to the dealer who may prefer to be deaf to solve the problem.
The Audi currently has 15,000 km on the odometer.
Thank you!
Downloadlink (.mov audiofile coming from other forum - sorry): https://www.audiworld.com/forums/at...board-rattle-audi-a3-ratelgeluid-20220718.mov
Hey!
Ever find any resolution to the rattle?
I have an 8Y S3 and my rattle is IDENTICAL. Unable to pinpoint but it does sound like its coming from the passenger side dashboard.
Thank you!

I had same issue with my Passat. Got it solved with removing the "lids" from both ends of the dash and added some black felt on the parts which touch the dash.
Marked red on the picture.

Attachments

• xxx.JPG
    xxx.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 167
Reactions: yippitykip
I had same issue with my Passat. Got it solved with removing the "lids" from both ends of the dash and added some black felt on the parts which touch the dash.
Thank you for the idea. I did try exactly that yet the rattle remains. BUT, I think I may be closer to the source. As I was listening to the rattle this morning during my commute, I pushed in the ceiling panel and the rattle went away. Wonder if I put any felt in there that we may solve the issue.

Reactions: makelja
Hello, did you manage to solve the problem? I have an audi a3 8y 35 tfsi there is the same sound when going through holes

BREAKTHROUGH:
My wife was able to pinpoint the noise as I was driving the other day!

When I very lightly tap on the left side of the panel above the mirror, I can recreate the noise. Not sure how I can resolve this though, afraid to take anything apart lol.

I’ve attached a link to my video. If you listen to this and then listen to the audio clip posted by G86, you can absolutely hear the similarities. It’s more of a creaking sound than a rattle.
Let me know any thoughts!

Hey everyone, the sound has not disappeared for me yet. It was not heard for a long time, but yesterday the sound was suddenly there again. And very loud. And only when driving straight ahead or steering to the right. Turning to the left stops the sound. I'm going to listen if it's coming from the top panel in the roof or from the sides of the dashboard. To date, I have not spoken to the dealer about this. Because they don't have time for that and they laugh at you anyway.

BREAKTHROUGH:
My wife was able to pinpoint the noise as I was driving the other day!

When I very lightly tap on the left side of the panel above the mirror, I can recreate the noise. Not sure how I can resolve this though, afraid to take anything apart lol.

I’ve attached a link to my video. If you listen to this and then listen to the audio clip posted by G86, you can absolutely hear the similarities. It’s more of a creaking sound than a rattle.
Let me know any thoughts!

Thanks for the tip. But for me this is not the reason of the problem/sound. Indeed, it is exactly the same sound.

I will probably have to look for it here too because I always think it comes from the bottom right of the dashboard.
How do you get that side panel open without damaging it?

Now I have that kind of rattle too. I didn't link it to steering, it rather comes up when driving straight on semi-rough tarmac. I tried to push the grey plastic trim piece that goes under the screen and vents, can't say if that made the rattle go away since it wasn't that continuous, but at least it didn't come up while I was pushing the piece. I left the car to Audi today for another fix and also complained about this so hopefully they get it fixed too. It's become even more irritating than the trunk ehm... boot rattle which they should be now fixing in the first place.

Did anyone try repositioning the steering height/reach to see if that sound goes away?