Yet to be impressed by Audi A4 Avant

ang12el

Reaction score
After having my old Seat Cordoba for many years and it doing in excess of 150K without it ever costing me anything except MOT and normal servicing a few tyres which were at most £20 a pop I was given some money to buy a "decent car" I had a budget and was always impressed by the sleek lines and popularity of the Audi.. so took the plung and bought one .. only ever wanted a VAG engine would have bought another Seat but thought I would go for some extra "quality" in the build ...

My findings so far are a nightmare I have had the car now 5 mths its a 1.9td Sport and I cant understand what the 1st gear is for by the time you tap it .. it has gone up past the 3K rev mark and only gone to about 10 mils per hour before you have to get into 2nd < is this normal .. even poxy cars like p and r reg cars are blitzing me! you might well say well put it in 2nd but I am loath to do that as what is the point of the car having a 1st if it never gets used! Yes there is a bit of a spring in the tourqe in 2nd and 3rd but that dies away once you get into 4th and 5th < bog all there.. its a 02 reg not the 6 speed gearbox.. Engine is quite and seems to have a bucket full of power under it but doesnt seem to go anywhere maybe its just me I wasnt expecting a turbo charged super car .. but it is quite dissapointing when I constanly blown away at lights ...not a boy racer I am 43 and a LGV driver so I am not looking to race out of lights like a bat out of hell, just a little power would be nice

I tend to do a lot of motorway and urban driving the fuel consumption is no more than at best average. Having looked the potential cost in repairs and replacments eg Tyres and servicing I feel that even if i was to do it myself it aint exactly cheap , and if the engine managment system goes well thats it!

If I had my time again I think I would stay well clear .. whilst build quality and comfort is unquestionable.. I feel that you are paying and has been said many times before , for the name and not the product..
One not overly impressed owner who will probably hope to get rid in the near future. Whilst I appreciate this is an Audi forum I wonder if anyone else is dissapointed with there B6

Hmm you must have a FWD sport 100, you need to find the power curve or get it chipped,

Im More than happy with my B6, but i have the 6 speed box, the quattro and 170horses to play with, its my second one and i love it!

You buy a **** model from any manufacturer then you'll be disappointed.
I love my B6 1.9TDi 130, but I made damn sure I got the 130 model. It averages 48mpg, and can get 550-600 miles from a tank so no complaits there. 1st gear is a bit short but that's the same for any 4cylinder diesel. Looks like you just bought the wrong car, not necessarily the wrong make.
I think it's a bit naive to think you're getting anything other than a Seat/VW when you buy an Audi, the main difference being the beautiful interiors (if you went for leather), and general improvement in the materials used. Ultimately it's the same car, why would you think you're paying for the name? You're paying for the same car but with an overall better finish.
I'd suggest maybe you test drive a car before you buy it in future.

AndyMac said:
You buy a **** model from any manufacturer then you'll be disappointed.
I love my B6 1.9TDi 130, but I made damn sure I got the 130 model. It averages 48mpg, and can get 550-600 miles from a tank so no complaits there. 1st gear is a bit short but that's the same for any 4cylinder diesel. Looks like you just bought the wrong car, not necessarily the wrong make.
I think it's a bit naive to think you're getting anything other than a Seat/VW when you buy an Audi, the main difference being the beautiful interiors (if you went for leather), and general improvement in the materials used. Ultimately it's the same car, why would you think you're paying for the name? You're paying for the same car but with an overall better finish.
I'd suggest maybe you test drive a car before you buy it in future.

Put 3 cars in a yard and one is vw one is seat and one audi ... you say to them they are basically the same car but this audi I want you to pay an extra £3k for it joe blogs in the street rightly and wrongly believes that Audi are more upmarket better car.. when in fact as you have stated they are not .. albeit better trim so what are you paying the extra money can not be justified by the materials used so its the name Audi.. just look at the Garages they are works of art alone its an Image and for that you pay dont tell me you dont .Why pay for a Dyson and not a Hoover .. both do the same job but Dyson have an image :) and as such are more expensive its the same in all walks

Oh and I did take it for a test drive got it for a good price and was happy with it but now its just begining to p me off. I dont think even a 130 will make me double take, my mate has a 2.5 quatro turbo yes its ok but even then its nothing special. think he averages 48mpg on motorways. should have stuck with the Octavia VRS.

my Fabia vRS has the 130 TDI engine, and it's got stacks of power. Never really felt like it was lacking (of course, all cars could do with more ;))

Dyson are far superior to any Hoover, so very very bad analogy.
£3k for better materials is not a lot of money and that's all it is.
Why pay £3k extra for a VW over a Skoda/Seat?
And there's a huge difference between a 100 and a 130. Bit like saying there's little difference between a 1.8 and a 1.8T. It's massive, do your homework.

Im with andymac on this one, you bought the wrong car not the wrong badge, and if its peeing you off you never test drove it for long enough, also ok mechanically these cars are no different from VW and suchlike, but come on there streets ahead on build, fit and finish, you only need to get as far as opening and closing a door to see your not paying for a name. Think you need to take yourself into a corner and have a word with yourself. (LOL), or get it remapped itll make hell of a difference, i know you say a 130 wont swing you but its nearly a 30% increase over a 100, which is not just performance alone, fuel economy is better also for generel driving.:yes:

@Angel - as mentioned above, a simple re-map will give you more poke off the line, and will also give you better fuel economy.

In hindsight (which is a wonderful thing), perhaps you could have looked for the higher powered 1.9tdis (those with the red "I" on the badge) from the outset, (or gone the whole hog and got the 2.5TDi) and also gone for a quattro model which would have helped get your diesel turbo torque down on the tarmac.

For my money, if you're buying an Audi, you buy a quattro -it's Audi's USP.

hi andy i have the 130 sport on an 02 and i find it goes really well infact i would say it is quicker than my previous car a E56 bmw 323 convertible. also my frined with a 100 was shocked at how fast mine accelerated after 60mph in 4th. Go to a dealer and test drive a 130 bhp and if you like it get yours chipped. Quite simply the 100 is to get you from A to B a 130 is for having fun doing it.

ang12el said:
.Why pay for a Dyson and not a Hoover .. both do the same job but Dyson have an image :) and as such are more expensive its the same in all walks.

If you think this why did you buy it :uhm:

I've been running a 1.9TDI 130 Avant for just over two years, 90k miles. Its's never missed a beat apart from a faulty tyre giving a bit of rumble and the fact that the AC smells like a tramp for the first minute or so since last week. Sufficiently impressed with looks (best estate on the market), economy 50mpg on a good run 46mpg average over last 16k, together with good performance (granted its not a S4 but hey I get 50mpg) to say that when its changed it will be for another A4 Avant Diesel.

Think your in the minority here fella !!

I'd have to agreee with everyone else. I've got a 2001 1.9tdi Sport 130 and it's fine. These cars weren't designed to shoot from lights, they come into their own once on the move. 3rd and 4th are superb and the torque is really noticable. I've been in Seats and VWs and the build quality is no where near an Audi. In fact, I was alarmed at the rattles. Mines 6 years old and doesn't have a rattle or squeek and have no plans to get rid soon. Mind you it's only done 33500 miles!! :)

ang12el is yours a 100 or 130?
My old chipped A4 130 was easily a match for my chipped golf gti-t.
Golf was better off the line but apart from that the diesel wins all the way upto silly speeds.
Have you checked your MAF,my 130 went down to 105 when it went,boy did that feel slow.

My Avant is superb, great build quality, came from a Passat, which is not in the same league.
Mine is a 130, is abit lacking down low, but same as other people same once on the move, enough power there, was thinking of getting it chipped still saving the &#163;475 needed.

I want mine done by Jabba though, had my last car done by simon of CCtech, but really looking for a custon remap this time round, just to keep me going until I can afford a three litre tdi quattro avant.