Matrix headlight thoughts?

Mike.46

Reaction score
Weird things, they (when on auto) come on like a set of curtains opening in front of you and generally seem to work quite well swithing off and on any beam that may interfere with other traffic, seem to auto turn off when street lighting is present, good saftey function on 70mph dual carraigeway etc evenb lighting up either side of a car in front of you but not the car itself, very weird at first..............but a few times when on a dual carriagway they have pi**ed off HGV drivers whose headlamps are lower and behind the central reservation armco

Reactions: Jassyo06
Weird things, they (when on auto) come on like a set of curtains opening in front of you and generally seem to work quite well swithing off and on any beam that may interfere with other traffic, seem to auto turn off when street lighting is present, good saftey function on 70mph dual carraigeway etc evenb lighting up either side of a car in front of you but not the car itself, very weird at first..............but a few times when on a dual carriagway they have pi**ed off HGV drivers whose headlamps are lower and behind the central reservation armco
Love em wouldn't have a car without them now after having them on Fl 8v and TTS they'll also intentionally light up road signs on unlit roads/motorways

Reactions: Frizzley and RichK
I was following a Skoda once that had Matrix lamps, it has this awesome curtain animation when going back out of cities, like lighting up from the center to the outer edges gradually, is that the same thing you are mentioning? Just thinking about how cool it is I had no idea the RS3 is doing the same, can't even less wait for mine :D

Reactions: Mike.46
Not sure if the modern ones work the same today but my 2018 RS4 had matrix and in the dark you could see them forming a shadow on the incoming car and that shadow moving around to match the cars location. Fog was the best though as you could see the lights dancing in front of you.

TX.

Reactions: Mike.46 and Jassyo06
Not sure if the modern ones work the same today but my 2018 RS4 had matrix and in the dark you could see them forming a shadow on the incoming car and that shadow moving around to match the cars location. Fog was the best though as you could see the lights dancing in front of you.

TX.
Yeah right now they seem to do some dances/animations, I was in awe following that Skoda :openmouth:

TX.
The RS3 8Y has less light clusters ie lighting modules than the matrix candles on the previous RS4 like you had and the 8v fl both had 3 modules not including the dipped full beam modules they also danced when the car started up

Yeah right now they seem to do some dances/animations, I was in awe following that Skoda :openmouth:
Love em wouldn't have a car without them now after having them on Fl 8v and TTS they'll also intentionally light up road signs on unlit roads/motorways
I wouldn’t be without them now either. One less thing to worry about when driving and they work really well.

This was the one time I found I had to manually turn them off in the S4. The drivers are above the dividers and their lights are below it so the car doesn't recognize they're there and blinds them. I don't fault it for that one failing though, it's a situation that would be pretty difficult to allow for I'd imagine.

Reactions: Mike.46
Lol I’ve not driven mine after dark yet, too dangerous in these parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: Frizzley, Jassyo06, Mike.46 and 2 others
I was following a Skoda once that had Matrix lamps, it has this awesome curtain animation when going back out of cities, like lighting up from the center to the outer edges gradually, is that the same thing you are mentioning? Just thinking about how cool it is I had no idea the RS3 is doing the same, can't even less wait for mine :D
Yes, thats it exactly, they are turned on (and off) from either the middle/centre or the ouside ones first (cant remember!) but reminds me of a set of curtains opening, you can even drive behind a car and they will illuminate down either side of the car but not on the car itself.

I do wonder what the driver of the car in front is thinking as they turn off and on missing iluminating cars coming towards me, or if he can even see them at all dancing around

• Love
Reactions: LayZ_Pz
I do wonder what the driver of the car in front is thinking as they turn off and on missing iluminating cars coming towards me, or if he can even see them at all dancing around
Well I can tell you that I was amazed by the way it looked, especially this curtain animation, we were driving through forests and it was an awesome light show :D

This will be my first experience of the Matrix lights and I too have never driven it in the dark.
Can't wait for the dark nights. You can get so much done under the cover of darkness.:fearscream:

• Haha
Reactions: Jassyo06 and LayZ_Pz
This will be my first experience of the Matrix lights and I too have never driven it in the dark.
Can't wait for the dark nights. You can get so much done under the cover of darkness.:fearscream:
Everyone must be tucked up in bed by 9:00 PM on here :)

Reactions: Jassyo06, kayemill and 8YARWY
I have to admit I do like my sleep.:sleeping:

I got the car in March just as the clocks were changing.

Looking forward to seeing the interior lighting and the animations in the dark also

Reactions: RSt3ve and 8YARWY

Lol after a long day at work I’m in no mood to wait until 10pm to go driving the car.
That’ll change though as the nights draw in…and darker mornings.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and kayemill
I have to admit I do like my sleep.:sleeping:

I got the car in March just as the clocks were changing.

Looking forward to seeing the interior lighting and the animations in the dark also
The Interior comes alive in the dark, it's a great place to be. Just don't let your missus choose the setting!
20220203 205736

Reactions: furious_iPod, 8YARWY, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
And we have the ambient lighting on the dash……not a lot have that feature

I'd trade it all for tpms and wireless charging though!!
Can't wait to be batting down the autobahn in 3 weeks not knowing if my tyres are going to explode!!

Reactions: 8YARWY
Can't wait to be batting down the autobahn in 3 weeks not knowing if my tyres are going to explode!!

Lol I’m glad I have it

Easy retro fit though.

66f2aecd3408844e92db73054ec424f4.jpg

And we have the ambient lighting on the dash……not a lot have that feature

Because your dashboard only has a bit of carbon wrap/wallpaper and pay more for the Vorsprung and they use almost a full roll of it lol

Because your dashboard only has a bit of carbon wrap/wallpaper and pay more for the Vorsprung and they use almost a full roll of it lol

Doesn’t interest me mate……. Only for the knuckle scrapers

The Interior comes alive in the dark, it's a great place to be. Just don't let your missus choose the setting!View attachment 257678
Or the kids! I currently have the McDonald’s yellow and red theme running through my interior which my youngest set up whilst going through a drive thru recently :—)

• Haha
Reactions: RSt3ve
They are absolutely brilliant and I find they help make driving, especially on unlit roads a lot easier. Had on a number of different cars now and are one of the first options i look for. Current S5 came with the laser option and these are even better. Once you get above about 40mph the laser element automatically activates and doubles the range of the main beam. Was a bit sceptical when I first read up about them but was really surprised when they first came on as to how far in front of the car they actually clearly illuminated.

Id have taken the aluminium dash trim with the ambient strip in it over the carbon one with none to be fair. But yeah the matrix candles are great, they can sometimes be a little slow to react to cars where their light is meeting the central barrier as someone pointed out but I’ve blinded a few people myself in other cars in the same situation, sometimes it’s hard to see em lol