CarPlay retrofit options; anyone got any experience with these 5 options?

J0N1X303

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with these different options for CarPlay retrofit? Seems a range of prices but are the options any different?

What year car you have will dictate which option is best for you.

If you have a C7 model (pre-facelift) with the AMI interface connector, you will need 3rd Party hardware to enable Carplay/Android Auto.

if you have an early C7.5 (2015/16) with 2xUSB ports under the armrest, then you can (may…) have two options:
  • Official OEM software upgrade from your dealer - however this is VIN dependant, so needs to be checked before you book it in
  • Unofficial MIB2 software upgrade - will invalidate any remaining MMI Warranty - but provide you with full Carplay/Android Auto functionality, via USB cable to your phone. You will not be able to get further software updates to the MMI system.
    • This can be installed via a USB or SD Card software update -or-
    • Installed remotely by a competent installer.
I had my S7 updated remotely about 3 years ago, by a chap in China, and was one of the first to have this done in the UK. Been very happy with it since, and use it all the time.

There are a few forum supporters offering the software upgrade, if your in a C7.5

John :hi:

How about this one:
I've had one on my A6, worked quite well, easy to install. Uninstalled because I don't really use it...