Facelift Tyre Time

Mr Freeze

Reaction score
Hi all

Nearly new tyre time again for me :rolleyes: just seeing what people recommend for the S3
I have had P zero's on it from new but with the PZ4 tyre not being updated I thought I'd see what else is out there .
Currently looking at Good year Asymmetric 6's the reviews seem decent and are £326 a set fitted which isn't bad at all .
Michelin pilot sport 5's £435 fitted
P zero's £404 fitted
All have similar peformance and rating's

I've got Michelin CrossClimate+ on my S3 as that's what it came with, they have been fantastic so far but have since been replaced with the CrossClimate2. Might be worth a look if that floats your boat. Personally I'd go for the MPS5 and if you know someone with Costco membership they currently have a Michelin promotion running until Sep 18th with £100 (19")/£80 (18") off 4x tyres fitted https://www.costco.co.uk/michelin-promotion

Reactions: Mr Freeze
Bit pricey at nearly £200 a corner for me .
Its on used as a grocery getter :laughing: and the occasional blast down slip road
4x 235/35 R19 are under £600 fitted at black circles today using code FLASH15

I don’t think that’s bad for THE best tyre.

Weirdly the PS5s are slightly more expensive there. If you’ve found them for £435 fitted that’s a pretty good price.

IIRC PS4S is not available in 18 inch

PS5 good but the difference isn’t really enough to justify the price premium over the PS4

Have heard good things about the Goodyear Asymmetric but never used them.

Hi all

Nearly new tyre time again for me :rolleyes: just seeing what people recommend for the S3
I have had P zero's on it from new but with the PZ4 tyre not being updated I thought I'd see what else is out there .
Currently looking at Good year Asymmetric 6's the reviews seem decent and are £326 a set fitted which isn't bad at all .
Michelin pilot sport 5's £435 fitted
P zero's £404 fitted
All have similar peformance and rating's

4e42c134abc534d7b1e7117aec17b2c4.jpg

We just put these on the GTD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IIRC PS4S is not available in 18 inch

PS5 good but the difference isn’t really enough to justify the price premium over the PS4

Have heard good things about the Goodyear Asymmetric but never used them.
They are available online in 18 inch

All depends what you care about.
I’m on my 3rd set of pzeros courtesy of Pirelli and as an all rounder it’s a very good tyre. Main thing is it’s the only tyre with a decent rim/wife protector on the AO version.
my winter set currently is running the cross climate 2 and they are very good in the cold/wet and light snow, not had a chance to use them in heavy snow due to global warming :wink: but for most part they work as well as my old winter tyres only noticeable difference is braking distance compared to proper winter tyres when hard on the brakes. They are very quiet tyre too. I had these on throughout may this year as I was waiting for my summer wheels to come back and it was pretty decent in the hotter weather. rim protector is non existent though. Wife managed to kerb 2 wheels in less than 24 hours of fitting to newly refurbished wheels.
All seasons are generally good but still a compromise and the cc2 I found when it got hot the grip was starting to go and tyre squeal compared to summer but that could be my driving style.
Previous experience with other Michelins ps3/4 and good years asymmetric 3/4 on my a6’s they wear very well and managed 20-30k miles a set and that was a big barge. Don’t think the pzero will last that long.
hope this helps.

I just use the regular Michelin PS4 on my S3. They’re cheaper than the PS4S model and as my car does long motorway cruises plus the odd blast I figured the value for money wasn’t there for the PS4S. Just my two cents though.

Reactions: rvtb101 and Mr Freeze
I have Pilot Sport 4 all round on my 18" wheels, the grip is spot on. If you buy through BlackCircles with code PSDEAL you can get 4 for £374 fitted.

Reactions: rvtb101 and Mr Freeze
All depends what you care about.
I’m on my 3rd set of pzeros courtesy of Pirelli and as an all rounder it’s a very good tyre. Main thing is it’s the only tyre with a decent rim/wife protector on the AO version.
my winter set currently is running the cross climate 2 and they are very good in the cold/wet and light snow, not had a chance to use them in heavy snow due to global warming :wink: but for most part they work as well as my old winter tyres only noticeable difference is braking distance compared to proper winter tyres when hard on the brakes. They are very quiet tyre too. I had these on throughout may this year as I was waiting for my summer wheels to come back and it was pretty decent in the hotter weather. rim protector is non existent though. Wife managed to kerb 2 wheels in less than 24 hours of fitting to newly refurbished wheels.
All seasons are generally good but still a compromise and the cc2 I found when it got hot the grip was starting to go and tyre squeal compared to summer but that could be my driving style.
Previous experience with other Michelins ps3/4 and good years asymmetric 3/4 on my a6’s they wear very well and managed 20-30k miles a set and that was a big barge. Don’t think the pzero will last that long.
hope this helps.
The rim protector on the AO p zero's are great and that is my concern about moving to another brand without a chunky rim protector . The
wife drives the car most of the time so I'd rather be safe than sorry . Also looking at the Good year Asymmetric 6 which have good reviews
and do have rim protection but I have seen them in person to get an idea .

Thinking about it the rim protection on the P4 is pretty useless. I kerbed my wheel on the lowest park of a drop kerb.
Tears were shed...

The rim protector on the AO p zero's are great and that is my concern about moving to another brand without a chunky rim protector . The
wife drives the car most of the time so I'd rather be safe than sorry . Also looking at the Good year Asymmetric 6 which have good reviews
and do have rim protection but I have seen them in person to get an idea .

I would say stick with the pzero if your are happy with them especially the rim protection. Never seen another tyre with anything close to the rim protection that’s on the pzero. realistically the performance difference is minimal between these top premium UHP tyres when used as a daily driver. how often do you brake from 70-0 on the grocery run, commute school run? Or time yourself to the shop and back? I’m 99% kids free taxi and 1% driving like a nutter on B roads :wink:
It’s really only measurable on track at extremes. Those 0.xx seconds per lap and 1 or 2m less braking distance will be lost by different reaction times and conditions of road surface.

Reactions: Mr Freeze, Alex.S3, Phutters and 1 other person
I would say stick with the pzero if your are happy with them especially the rim protection. Never seen another tyre with anything close to the rim protection that’s on the pzero. realistically the performance difference is minimal between these top premium UHP tyres when used as a daily driver. how often do you brake from 70-0 on the grocery run, commute school run? Or time yourself to the shop and back? I’m 99% kids free taxi and 1% driving like a nutter on B roads :wink:
It’s really only measurable on track at extremes. Those 0.xx seconds per lap and 1 or 2m less braking distance will be lost by different reaction times and conditions of road surface.
Yeah totally agree not much in it when it comes to the top brand tyres .
I will probably stick with the P zero's purely for the rim protection .

Reactions: AlS3BE
Do these (AO) have exactly the same rim protection as the standard (AO) PZeros?

Ive always wondered that. Is part of the ao rating means big chunky rim protector?
I know the pzero without ao has a much smaller rim protector but is that the case for them all?

Thought I revive an old thread as it’s still relevant.
just put a set of good year asymmetric 6 on my mini project car and the rim protection is on par with the Pzero ao tyres. These were 205/45/17 so not sure if it will be the same on 225/40/18s on the s3.
tyres are good, quiet and give lots of confidence cornering hard. Overall I would highly recommend. Totally transformed the mini compared to the ditch finders that was on it.
will try and get some pictures of the rim when it’s not pouring with rain.

Reactions: Mr Freeze and JohnM100
I’ve got the Michelin PS4S on mine in 19” size and I’m impressed with the rim protection, I was thinking of changing to the PS5 for better mileage but it doesn’t have this much rim protection.