Rear Quattro bumper not fitting after refitting

Jinnek444

Reaction score
HI all,
So, a while ago I removed the rear bumper to fit a tow-bar. Fitted the bar, cut the aperture on the spoiler to allow the electric socket to swing down and refitted the bumper.
I then found that the bumper, on both sides where it drops down from the rear lights, turns and marries horizontally with the quarter panel, did'nt. Or would'nt. As in the photo.
I pushed it, rubber malleted it, looked at it, dirt or something, no. Ran back the 4 mounting stud nuts, no arch end self-tappers fitted to allow it to slide. Nope. In the end I gave up and left it.
Last week, I took it off again to repair scratches and revisit this annoyance. Again no joy. When pushed, it is solid, it's not as if it will go in , but come out again when pressure is relaxed, it just won't force in. It is as if the bumper is too full there . I can get it in a bit more than in the photo, but not much.
I'm stumped, which is not often.
Posted more in hope than expectation.
Apart from that, I love this car.

Attachments

• IMG_20220830_131310.jpg
    IMG_20220830_131310.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 71
Well,
thanks to the 87 so far have looked at this post, so far. Only problem is no thoughts on the cause. Although I'm not surprised.
Just had another look at it, or them, just now. I don't have an clue what's the matter. It's as if the engaging lip of the bumper is too thick, or deep, or the slots on the plastic mouldings (each side) screwed to the rear of the quarter panels is too narrow somehow. Plainly not on though.
Cheers.

An update on this.
Today I bit the bullet, decided I would do a bit more than just look and ponder at the bumper.
I took off the plastic rear quarter panel mouldings that the bumper clips to at the sides. I ground down the end section where the bumper seemed to be being stopped by it. Just below the tail lts to run along the qtr panel. Also heated that part of the bumper, pushed it in and cooled it, both sides.
Without the mouldings the bumper fitted just as it should.
Refitted the mounting mouldings, pushed in the bumper, clicked in, and perfect.
Why me, I only took the thing off and back on again.
Anyway, to say I'm happy is an understatement, it was on my mind every time I looked at the car.
Regards to all.

Reactions: spartacus68