Timing belt

Fatbloke

Reaction score
Hi All

I have a 2016 A3 S-line 8VF 2.0 tdi 150 quattro. It has 58,000 miles on it.

What is the timing belt interval ?

Cheers

Dave

:scared2: Huge can of worms opened !!

I think 5 years comes into it somewhere, but be prepared for many different opinions on this fella.

Hi All

Cheers

Dave

I changed our Golf 7 GTD Cuna diesel timing belt at just under 40k.
It was at around the recommended schedule specified by VW.

Did it look worn or in bad condition, no.

Do I feel it was wasted money spent, no

Am I bothered by the leave it until 100k + crowd, nope, do as you feel.

If you want to chance it fine, nothing wrong with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: A-S.N Member and JohnM100
For info - I spoke to the dealer today and its 140,000 miles or 5 years. £600+ for the timing belt and £965.62 for the timing belt and water pump. The water pump is electric so can be changed separately.

Timing belts can be funny things. My farther was was told his A3 8P was chain driven, however when I did some work on the car a couple of years back I found the cambelt. The car had done 183K miles at that point. The belt still looked OK, but I changed it regardless. My 8V 1.5TFSI has no change interval according to Audi but I'll do it in the next the next year or 2. I won't be changing the water pump. As it's not driven off the belt and it an electric pump I'll wait till it shows signs of failure.

For info - I spoke to the dealer today and its 140,000 miles or 5 years. £600+ for the timing belt and £965.62 for the timing belt and water pump. The water pump is electric so can be changed separately.

I should’ve mentioned ours was at the 5 year interval.
Cost me £350 iirc for everything including the new water pump.

Some of the 8V engines still had belt driven water pumps which are cheap to replace. For the electric driven pumps they are just over £200 on there own. I'm all for preventive maintenance, but as it's eternal and does not need the cambelt removed to change it. That job can be done when it fails, unless there is a known issue with the pump failing.

Have to say £350 is not a bad price to have the belt done, it's not the nicest of job to do on the A3/golf platform. Think you got a good deal there.

Hi All

Cheers

Dave
Leave it for another 50k if it not doing any harm or problems...

Some of the 8V engines still had belt driven water pumps which are cheap to replace. For the electric driven pumps they are just over £200 on there own. I'm all for preventive maintenance, but as it's eternal and does not need the cambelt removed to change it. That job can be done when it fails, unless there is a known issue with the pump failing.

Have to say £350 is not a bad price to have the belt done, it's not the nicest of job to do on the A3/golf platform. Think you got a good deal there.

Lol you misunderstood £350 was for all the OEM parts.
I changed it myself.

59dbc0baa3b3590a1ea3e6aa8392f112.jpg

e9f379475f9374d6471fea8ae2a35103.jpg

1bbe9395a30c5cb9f8bd558601af3190.jpg

4c9ccc4e3f2557fedd70facb1aa9786e.jpg

6e1f6e9bc6e137d1546230bb0c3b7ec5.jpg

Reactions: B5NUT
I seem to remember audi changed the belt under warranty a while back as the tensioner was slightly noisy. I will try and find out when that was as I may be able to leave it until next year.
Also, I just got the Skoda VRS timing belt and water pump and a small rubber hose that they discovered was perished for £456 at a local indy. Picked it up today and all seems fine. They are going to quote me for doing the Audi.

Lol you misunderstood £350 was for all the OEM parts.
I changed it myself.

59dbc0baa3b3590a1ea3e6aa8392f112.jpg

e9f379475f9374d6471fea8ae2a35103.jpg

1bbe9395a30c5cb9f8bd558601af3190.jpg

4c9ccc4e3f2557fedd70facb1aa9786e.jpg

6e1f6e9bc6e137d1546230bb0c3b7ec5.jpg

expensive I have purchased gates kit just for £100 paid £150 friend mechanik to replace

expensive I have purchased gates kit just for £100 paid £150 friend mechanik to replace

I always buy OEM on things of this nature.

Could’ve gone down the pattern parts route but chose not too.

I always buy OEM on things of this nature.

Could’ve gone down the pattern parts route but chose not too.

You still believe on "oem" which ia all mass produced in china ? ‍ No difference ..

Wouldn't rate Gates to be honest. Always stuck with SKF, INA or Contitech but thats just me :)
And I tell you my friend all these gates skf ina dayco etc are noothing just companies ordering from china and slapping their logo.
All the same man. We compared kits and all same

You still believe on "oem" which ia all mass produced in china ? ‍ No difference ..

Honestly……I couldn’t give a monkeys.

Really don’t want this thread to turn into an argument about who makes what where and when.

You like the aftermarket parts, I get that and have no issue.
Personally I prefer sourcing from OEM suppliers like TPS etc.

But that’s just my preference……..

Reactions: AJB
Honestly……I couldn’t give a monkeys.

Really don’t want this thread to turn into an argument about who makes what where and when.

You like the aftermarket parts, I get that and have no issue.
Personally I prefer sourcing from OEM suppliers like TPS etc.

But that’s just my preference……..

Never heard of TPS
if you want original then best is directly from wolkswagen, exactly same part what was installed when manufactured.
I don't want to spend tons of monies as car getting a money pit for me.
Replaced after market parts like many others and nothing wrong ..
Why suddenly after market parts are bad ? Mechanics installing them for people every day , blue print , pagit, etc ..if everyone would go with original ,then everyone would get skinned and broke ..

Never heard of TPS
if you want original then best is directly from wolkswagen, exactly same part what was installed when manufactured.
I don't want to spend tons of monies as car getting a money pit for me.
Replaced after market parts like many others and nothing wrong ..
Why suddenly after market parts are bad ? Mechanics installing them for people every day , blue print , pagit, etc ..if everyone would go with original ,then everyone would get skinned and broke ..

TPS are VAG OEM parts suppliers.

Reactions: A-S.N Member