Rear Tail light bulbs

vdt

Reaction score
Anyone know what the bulb types for all the Rear tails? (Brake, Reverse, Indicator, Fog etc)
I don't mined Halogen ones, but if there is any possibility of fitting leds bulbs with resistors then that would be even better.

Looking at these currently, any good? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361589085459

Thanks

Last edited:
I've noticed the indicator bulb on the facelift lights have a different fitting, the prongs on the base are off-axis.

Hi vdt,

my A3 is a 2006 but I replaced my original tail lights with facelift tail lights. Tail lights here in North America are configured a bit different way as they use red lenses for turn signals as well as brakes.
I bought my facelift tail lights from an aftermarket parts company in Germany - BKS Tuning (they no longer exist) and I believe they are same as the original euro facelift tail lights - with a clear lenses for amber/yellow coloured turn signal bulbs.

Here are my facelift tail lights:

IMG 5491

These were light bulbs in there:

IMG 9744
IMG 9745

IMG 9750
IMG 9751

Note 1:
The turn signal bulbs have asymmetric pins (150 degrees) and are amber/yellow in colour. I believe this pin configuration is labeled as "BAU".
Brake bulbs are straight 180 degrees configuration that I believe is just labeled "BA". Both turn and brake bulbs originally come as 21 Watt.
There are 3 brake light bulbs on each side, 2 in the outer part (rear fender) and 1 in the inner (hatch) part of the tail lights, total 6 for your tails. Those inner brake lights are also used as rear fog lights, either left or both, depends how it's configured via VagCom.

I have replaced my turn signal and brake light bulbs with LED bulbs, bought them at AliExpress, not sure if these are exactly what I bought but I think these would work, you need to choose correct type (BA vs. BAU) and colour:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255...tewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=US

These bulbs give me no errors and don't need resistors. I am not sure how long they will last but for that price it doesn't matter much. Just buy some spares.

Note 2:
If you decide buying LED bulbs for your brake lights, make sure you choose red colour; white would look pink and not red.

Sorry I don't any info on back up (reverse) bulbs but they should be pretty straightforward.

Hope this helps,

Last edited:
Reactions: vdt
Hi vdt,

my A3 is a 2006 but I replaced my original tail lights with facelift tail lights. Tail lights here in North America are configured a bit different way as they use red lenses for turn signals as well as brakes.
I bought my facelift tail lights from an aftermarket parts company in Germany - BKS Tuning (they no longer exist) and I believe they are same as the original euro facelift tail lights - with a clear lenses for amber/yellow coloured turn signal bulbs.

Here are my facelift tail lights:

View attachment 260279

These were light bulbs in there:

View attachment 260280View attachment 260281

View attachment 260282View attachment 260283

Note 1:
The turn signal bulbs have asymmetric pins (150 degrees) and are amber/yellow in colour. I believe this pin configuration is labeled as "BAU".
Brake bulbs are straight 180 degrees configuration that I believe is just labeled "BA". Both turn and brake bulbs originally come as 21 Watt.
There are 3 brake light bulbs on each side, 2 in the outer part (rear fender) and 1 in the inner (hatch) part of the tail lights, total 6 for your tails. Those inner brake lights are also used as rear fog lights, either left or both, depends how it's configured via VagCom.

I have replaced my turn signal and brake light bulbs with LED bulbs, bought them at AliExpress, not sure if these are exactly what I bought but I think these would work, you need to choose correct type (BA vs. BAU) and colour:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255...tewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=US

These bulbs give me no errors and don't need resistors. I am not sure how long they will last but for that price it doesn't matter much. Just buy some spares.

Note 2:
If you decide buying LED bulbs for your brake lights, make sure you choose red colour; white would look pink and not red.

Sorry I don't any info on back up (reverse) bulbs but they should be pretty straightforward.

Hope this helps,
Amazing thanks, very helpful indeed appreciate the write-up! :)

Reactions: bronco