Intermittent rear parking sensor issue

itf

Reaction score
I noticed on Sunday night that the parking sensors weren't doing their job - no errors on dash but 'system unavailable' or similar when I go to the volume settings for them on the MMI. Restarted car on drive and they came back on, but on school run again this morning, not working until car restarted. Anyone got any clues what it might be? Without an error (and so I guess no fault code) I can't imagine dealership will have much to go on. Only have rear sensors not full pack.

My Wife's 8Y has started doing something similar. On a couple of occasions over the last two months, one day it's working and the radio volume dips when in reverse, and beeps as nears any obstacles as expected .. but then suddenly, the next time, no warnings, nothing, the radio stays at normal volume and no beeping when reversing. Then suddenly it works again!

My Wife's 8Y has started doing something similar. On a couple of occasions over the last two months, one day it's working and the radio volume dips when in reverse, and beeps as nears any obstacles as expected .. but then suddenly, the next time, no warnings, nothing, the radio stays at normal volume and no beeping when reversing. Then suddenly it works again!
If you check settings, you'll see they're listed as "system unavailable" or something. I have to check every time I set off now which is a yet another pain with this car.
I've got a week off in a couple of weeks so will take it in then.

If you check settings, you'll see they're listed as "system unavailable" or something. I have to check every time I set off now which is a yet another pain with this car.
I've got a week off in a couple of weeks so will take it in then.
Didn't see that, we have to go into Car > Parking Aid and change the setting from Low / Medium / High to something else, then set it back to Medium and then it works again, until the next time it decides to crap out (usually when reversing into a tight spot when you need it most!)

Even though this has now been into Audi under warranty (essentially - no fault found) I'm still having the same problem. Sometimes when I turn the engine on the parking sensors simply don't exist as far as the car is concerned, but it's not storing a fault or giving a warning. The "Parking Aid" icon is greyed out and the MMI says "The selected system is currently unavailable" if I click the button. Restarting the car clears the fault.

Anyone got any clues, because the garage doesn't.

It does make me laugh. Audi are currently advertising on TV a Concept Car of the future, self driving, full of electronics that make life easier (with a caveat that the car is a concept and you can't buy it, nor is it on the horizon).
I would rather Audi spend their money fixing fault on cars that you can actually buy, and that haven't worked properly from the day they were delivered from the factory. How can you rely on a car with so much software, that simply, clearly does not work !!!

Reactions: itf
Agreed - it's back for another look but the master tech who came out to me essentially said it wasn't ready to launch when it did and that newer 8Ys have far fewer issues.

They did a software update, didn't solve, escalated to Audi. :(

They did a software update, didn't solve, escalated to Audi. :(
It is a joke isn't it. You couldn't make it up. My wifes A3 she's had since May 2021. It's been back to the workshop five times for software related issues and updates and none of those have fixed the reversing sensor. If you can't write the software for your hardware, then don't say it has a feature, when it clearly, doesn't! Or pay engineers who actually know what they are doing.

It is a joke isn't it. You couldn't make it up. My wifes A3 she's had since May 2021. It's been back to the workshop five times for software related issues and updates and none of those have fixed the reversing sensor. If you can't write the software for your hardware, then don't say it has a feature, when it clearly, doesn't! Or pay engineers who actually know what they are doing.
Made a complaint in the end today to Audi UK given the sheer number of issues I've had (New SOS Aerial, New battery, drivers door seal, number plate not properly attached (!), child lock issues, stop/start errors, parking sensors) in the hope someone gets hold of the problem and deals with it once and for all so I can trade it in with a clear conscience.