Advice on jumped timing repair/diagnosis please

Sedge

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 2008 A3 2.0 TFSI DSG Quattro which has done around 90k miles. I am making this post in the hopes someone can give me advice on the best course of action or possibly someone who is in the know with these cars/engines and can repair it or also give me advice. This is a long post but only because I'm trying to explain as best as I can what has happened and try to give as much info as possible.

To begin with I have had a mechanic take a look and we have determined the timing has jumped. When it is cranked over by hand the pistons move up and down but the valves aren't moving at all and the engine wont turn over for a complete 360 degrees. We can see this as I have a camera for looking through the spark plug holes.
I don't believe the timing jumped when I was driving it as I heard/felt nothing and just parked up - it was only evident there was a problem when I came to start it a few hours later and it would only turn over. Due to this I am hoping the damage is minimal but I am no expert.

With the mechanic we have taken a look through the spark plug holes to try and determine just how much damage has been done. I have attached a couple of photos and linked a video (below) which he believes shows a slight bit of damage to the piston heads (the gold coloured areas) and therefore means the valves have struck the pistons and more than likely have damaged/bent them.

I do know this mechanic quite well so don't believe he is taking me for a ride but he has quoted me £1500 worst case scenario. That is essentially to remove the head, replace all the valves, new head gasket, level the head (this one i am not sure about), new timing kit plus all ancillary parts which goes with it. With the majority of the cost coming in the form of labour unfortunately. Do you think this is all needed to be done, is it over the top or more needs to be done, with the explanation, pictures and videos i have provided? Is there anything else we might have missed or misdiagnosed?

I am very keen to fix it but I am also open to the idea of selling it as is for someone else to fix and sell/use but I am not sure what kind of price to be looking for - is this something anyone can also advise on please??

Any help and advice is much appreciated and hopefully I won't have to end up scrapping it as it is a real nice car to drive and I don't want to give up my pride and joy.

Video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m1dxk35b28870fr/Untitled Project.mp4?dl=0 (the video should be open to all and not need a dropbox account to view)

Thank you
Sedge

Attachments

• PICT0012.jpg
    PICT0012.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 67
  • PICT0013.jpg
    PICT0013.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 58
£1500 sounds like a steal tbh as that's a fair bit of work & parts, but ideally need to know why it's happened beforehand as no point replacing to find it happens again.

Head skim is pretty standard tbh, sometimes a bit of wet & dry to clean the surfaces up is ok, depends on the issue tbh but that's minor in comparison to the other things.

£1500 sounds like a steal tbh as that's a fair bit of work & parts, but ideally need to know why it's happened beforehand as no point replacing to find it happens again.

Head skim is pretty standard tbh, sometimes a bit of wet & dry to clean the surfaces up is ok, depends on the issue tbh but that's minor in comparison to the other things.
Thanks for the reply.

As im not that knowledgebale on these things.... do you mean, its best to try and find out why the timimg jumped/broke first??
Im guessing to do this the mechanic would need to inspecting the timimg chain and the various components?

thanks again