Illuminated door sills retrofit

pamarakos

Reaction score
Hi all
I own a sportback a3 5 door which is missing door warning and entry lights on all doors, door handle illumination, footwell and illuminated door sills:) And maybe cupholder too!!

Although finding tons of info (confusing sometimes:) ) for the warning/entry door lights, front and rear, I can t find easily info on the footwell and especially door sills and door handles. I ve found 2 videos

But they are in italian, so little hard to understand:(
Cupholder can be connected to the cigarette lighter but again I want to do it correctly, so another question mark there. All these need coding through vcds so the mmi has the corresponding options but I ll find my way there I think...
I hope it will be easy for someone who already did these to shed some light with the pins need to be connected for each of them.
Thanks for your time

Ok I can try and grab pin refences at some point today or tomorrow
You want to install
Cupholder
Footwell
Door warning/puddle
Door Handle
Door sill

you should have 3 spare pins in BCM, 1 for cupholder 1 for footwell and 1 for ambient. 3 light channels that you can code as you like.
In doors you have pins for door handle, entry/warning, ambient light. They are ticks in long coding.
From what i remember Door sill goes with same supply that supplies warning and puddlle light so might be bit tricky but let me have a look at wire diagrams

are you using all OEM parts or aftermarket kits

Sorry need to know if your car has Halogen headlights or Xenon or Led and if you got any extra or led interior lights and if you have driver door controls for child safety lock in rears

Sorry need to know if your car has Halogen headlights or Xenon or Led and if you got any extra or led interior lights and if you have driver door controls for child safety lock in rears
Thanks a lot for your time and reply.
I have xenon and yes for the child safety, I have them.
From my "research" yes the sills go together with the door puddle/warning light:)
Everything will be stock hopefully and not aftermarket if I find them, for now I ve already found door handles, warning and puddle lights, most possibly with their wiring too...For now I cant find cupholder and oem wiring for it and also stock footwell set.
Thanks a lot again

I will forward pins data shortly
You can grab all oem stuff from Rocketwires, think his name is Ruben but his website is Rocketwires. Oem wiring for cupholder is just one wire straight into BCM or if you really want to follow audi then BCM to connector in passenger footwell and then from there to cupholder. Brown for ground is the other wire for cupholder

Reactions: pamarakos
I will forward pins data shortly
You can grab all oem stuff from Rocketwires, think his name is Ruben but his website is Rocketwires. Oem wiring for cupholder is just one wire straight into BCM or if you really want to follow audi then BCM to connector in passenger footwell and then from there to cupholder. Brown for ground is the other wire for cupholder
I saw rocketwires, he has everything but he is in UK, so import duties apply:( For now I m trying allegro... thanks!!

BCM Supply:
Cupholder: T46b Pin2- 0.35mmSquare copper wire
Footwell: T73c Pin 72- 0.5mmSquare copper wire
Ambient Pin: T46b Pin 39- 0.5mmSquare

Door Module: all 0.35mmSquare copper wire
Front:
Entry/Puddle/Sill: T32 Pin 16
Door Handle: T32 Pin 3
Ambient: T32 Pin 8
Pin 5 is Ground/Brown wire in T32 Blue connector

Rear:
Entry/Puddle/Sill: T16 Pin 12
Door Handle: T16 Pin 1
Ambient: T16 Pin 3
Pin 13 is Ground/Brown wire in T16 Black connector
Pin 13 is Ground/Brown wire in T16 Black connector

So I have listed pin addresses for each light including Ambient that you didn’t ask.

The sill light is getting supply from same wire that supplies Entry/Puddle and as per wire diagrams It is being routed from door module through T27 door connector into car body. Sounds painful to me. So, if you want you could utilise Ambient Pin to power all door sills and then code it as interior light or door exit light.

Also in doors. Door Handle light by defaulty is On all the time from moment you unlock car, with/without ignition day and night until you lock the car. I put door handle light but ended up changing it to Ambient Pin so only comes on at Night with Auto Headlights or when door is open.

if you google up A3 8V Stemie.de you will find Stemie.de link for A3 coding, in german. Quite useful
Link below lists all functions that can be added to light channels:

000979009E are pins with 0.35mmSquare wire
000979025E are pins wirh 0.5mmSquare wire
For BCM connections you have Ground point in the floor at bottom of A pillar under carpet

sorry didnt realise you were not in Uk

you can grab harness from AliExpress. Footwell harness, cupholder harness
I even got puddle warning lights from Aliexpress with harness but i think there is variarion in connector used for oem puddle lights to that of aftermarket one

000979009E are pins with 0.35mmSquare wire
000979025E are pins wirh 0.5mmSquare wire
For BCM connections you have Ground point in the floor at bottom of A pillar under carpet

sorry didnt realise you were not in Uk

you can grab harness from AliExpress. Footwell harness, cupholder harness
I even got puddle warning lights from Aliexpress with harness but i think there is variarion in connector used for oem puddle lights to that of aftermarket one
You sounded like a life saver:) For some kore days I ll keep on trying on allegro, since everybody there is in EU and it takes almost a week to have everything here...if I wont get any results soon I ll get them from ali but it will take a month+ to be here:(
I think you resolved all my questions, I guess I ll come up with more questions when doing the "surgery", altough you are so detailed but...:)
Thank you very very very much...I owe you one!

No worries man
AliExpress Standard Shipping delivery takes 2 weeks to UK
I will tag links below. VW AG Store is a good seller on AliExpress
£11.22 | For Audi A3 8V LED Footlight

£72.83 | 1 Set For Audi A3 8V door handle with LED ambient light

£11.98 | For Audi A3 8V Cup Holder Light Wire Cable

£32.34 | For Audi A3 8V A4 B9 Q5 Q3 Door Light 1 Set

No worries man

This was faster than quick!! Unfortunately when from aliexpress public mail service here always delays the process:( I'm just one click away to order though, everything will be neat and in place:) I'll be patient just a couple of days more, just in case I find someone from allegro having the most of them if not all! also I must try to find the sills cables as well to extend them and connect to the pins, because the seller didn't have the rest of the cable coming from the car...if I don't find a set I'll make one following your pin size...

No worries man

Hi
So finally I found almost (I think) my way out:)
1) I've found a set of door entry (projector) together with the red warning light and illuminated door handles for all 4 doors, including the wiring of all these so I guess I'll be ok there, hopefully! Only note there maybe door handles as you proposed will be connected to the ambient pin just to have them on together with the auto headlights. Now how am I going to un-pin is a thing, but that's why I'll order some spare cables to have them in hand:)

2) Already ordered the footwell kit from aliexpress as you proposed, seems it has already the pins crimped, so only trouble there will be from where do the cables go to the passenger side and also under the rear seats if they are guided under the center console or from the sides under the plastic covers?

3) Just to have spare pins already crimped, I found these
with the part numbers you gave me, just to be on the safe side and have them in hands in case I need something, so are these correct?

4) Concerning the door sills, since I ll have the door already dismantled, doing it correctly, should I wire a new pin from the door warning light to the door connector and then connect it from the inside in car body? So what pin/cable do I need? Because it seems little strange finding this
in the notes section it says that footwell lights must have been already fitted?!?! Also asked them and they responded that these cables are not pinned because they don't need to be!!!! Maybe their mistake? Because if pins not needed for the sills to connect from the inside, then I've already got the female plugs together with the sills so just need to extend the cables and connect them.

5) As for the cuplholder I've found this which is with the correct "long" stock wiring pinned already, not the short one for the cigarette lighter.

Sorry for the long post and your time hassle but willing to buy you a beer or two just to guide me through if you like:) I just need everything to be as stock as it can be including codings etc
Thanks again

1) I've found a set of door entry (projector) together with the red warning light and illuminated door handles for all 4 doors, including the wiring of all these so I guess I'll be ok there, hopefully! Only note there maybe door handles as you proposed will be connected to the ambient pin just to have them on together with the auto headlights. Now how am I going to un-pin is a thing, but that's why I'll order some spare cables to have them in hand:)
Hi sorry for late reply
If you never had door handle or ambient lights before then those pin locations will be free to use. Youtube A3 8V door panel removal. Pins go into blue 32pin connector. You have to use already pinned brown wire for Grounding new lights.

2) Already ordered the footwell kit from aliexpress as you proposed, seems it has already the pins crimped, so only trouble there will be from where do the cables go to the passenger side and also under the rear seats if they are guided under the center console or from the sides under the plastic covers?
You need to assess wire length. Pinned into body control module on left. You should be able to wire to back seat for driver side and go round the front footwell area to cover passenger front and seat, under side plastic panels and under carpet. You will need to unscrew seats for those.

4) Concerning the door sills, since I ll have the door already dismantled, doing it correctly, should I wire a new pin from the door warning light to the door connector and then connect it from the inside in car body? So what pin/cable do I need? Because it seems little strange finding this
in the notes section it says that footwell lights must have been already fitted?!?! Also asked them and they responded that these cables are not pinned because they don't need to be!!!! Maybe their mistake? Because if pins not needed for the sills to connect from the inside, then I've already got the female plugs together with the sills so just need to extend the cables and connect them.
Seems their kit uses footwell light for supply and ultimately function. As factory footwell comes on whenever door is opended.. from factory they are meant to be wired into door modules which is a pain i think.
i dont know what pin in door supply connector. You will have to open and check on of the doors to get idea. I suspect pin size will be same as you using in door modules but certainly wont be all same size pins going from body into doors so better check. I dont think you are planning to use ambient pin in body control module so I would say pin that with a short wire length and test if coding that channel as interior lights does the job. Audi puddle warning and sill lights are controlled well by door module as they only come on for the door that has opened but some other german cars trigger lights in all doors if one door is opened.

Seems their kit uses footwell light for supply and ultimately function. As factory footwell comes on whenever door is opended.. from factory they are meant to be wired into door modules which is a pain i think.
i dont know what pin in door supply connector. You will have to open and check on of the doors to get idea. I suspect pin size will be same as you using in door modules but certainly wont be all same size pins going from body into doors so better check. I dont think you are planning to use ambient pin in body control module so I would say pin that with a short wire length and test if coding that channel as interior lights does the job. Audi puddle warning and sill lights are controlled well by door module as they only come on for the door that has opened but some other german cars trigger lights in all doors if one door is opened.
Thanks a lot for the long and detailed replies...as soon as I have all in hands I'll go ahead step by step and coding/adaptaion step by step too so as to have everything correctly wired and tested ok to move to the next one! I'll be in touch..for now tomorrow I'm receiving the RS3 complete all 4 doors used set with the warning/entry projector lights with the wires, also receiving the kufatec spare wires and waiting for k-electronic cupholder set together with the sills cables. I'll be in touch, again thanks a lot for the support, I owe you:) We ll be in touch!

Reactions: ZeA38VSport
Hi sorry for late reply
If you never had door handle or ambient lights before then those pin locations will be free to use. Youtube A3 8V door panel removal. Pins go into blue 32pin connector. You have to use already pinned brown wire for Grounding new lights.
Hi my friend
Today's job was semi successful!! I managed to add pins male and female to both sides in the door connector for the sill!! Also coded just fine through vcds and lights turned on and door handle too although too low, didnt check mmi for now if some kind of menu appeared. This was only on passengers door. Next tried to wire and connect a rear door too BUT check my photos...
20221118 185209

Activated through 19-can gateway the rear modules BUT following msg appears
20221118 185139

As soon as I click long coding helper and every byte is blank
20221118 185152

Didnt have time for footwell kit and cupholder so didnt mess with bcm for now.
So can you help with rear module coding?

Hi my friend
Today's job was semi successful!! I managed to add pins male and female to both sides in the door connector for the sill!! Also coded just fine through vcds and lights turned on and door handle too although too low, didnt check mmi for now if some kind of menu appeared. This was only on passengers door. Next tried to wire and connect a rear door too BUT check my photos...View attachment 261322
Activated through 19-can gateway the rear modules BUT following msg appears
View attachment 261323

As soon as I click long coding helper and every byte is blank
View attachment 261324

Didnt have time for footwell kit and cupholder so didnt mess with bcm for now.
So can you help with rear module coding?
Did you not have rear modules showing originally?
Unfortunately I will not be able to help you on this. I have seen some method listed on audi-sport for adding rear door modules if they are physically on the car and not showing on VCDS but I dont remember it. Coding for door lights is in the long coding as tick boxes to activate.

Unfortunately I will not be able to help you on this. I have seen some method listed on audi-sport for adding rear door modules if they are physically on the car and not showing on VCDS but I dont remember it. Coding for door lights is in the long coding as tick boxes to activate.
I ve found this through 19 can gateway and coding, they appeared on the main menu but I cant get them to show the tick boxes in their own codings after this...

Found this post
Screenshot 20221119 174935 Gallery

And did the trick for the rear
Everything else went nice except the bcm cupholder pin which was not even 0.5 but something bigger...anyways I pushed and clipped somehow and it stayed there after putting the plug back to the bcm since the cupholder went. Now everything is turned in but very dark...not so bright...I ve done every adaptation and coding needed but mmi has only this menu
20221119 172819

With only these options
20221119 172822

Front one controls the cupholder but all zones controls nothing, no difference in any light anywhere, footwell or door light...bad thing is that if you lower all zones then cupholder dims too, it's like it's included in both zones.
I ve followed this guide

For the lighting also followed this
But I didnt get any option in the mmi...:(

Hi sorry for late reply
Can you please help with the coding or have any idea who can help?

Coding for ambient footwell cupholder MMI menu you can fins on stemie.de
If you google stemie.de A3 8V You will find link for Ambient Lights coding. That brings up mmi menu and activates ambient cupholder and footwell pins for supply.
As far as coding in doors. It is under Long Coding as TickBoxes. If you have issues seeing data in Long Coding for rear door modules then I cannot help I don’t know how to make data appear there. Maybe post another thread with specific query to see if someone else can help. Can also try posting in Ross Tech forums or reading through those.

Coding for ambient footwell cupholder MMI menu you can fins on stemie.de
If you google stemie.de A3 8V You will find link for Ambient Lights coding. That brings up mmi menu and activates ambient cupholder and footwell pins for supply.
As far as coding in doors. It is under Long Coding as TickBoxes. If you have issues seeing data in Long Coding for rear door modules then I cannot help I don’t know how to make data appear there. Maybe post another thread with specific query to see if someone else can help. Can also try posting in Ross Tech forums or reading through those.
Thanks for your response...the thing is menu doesnt appear on the mmi although coding done from all the posts mentioned in my previous post. Rear door modules programmed successfully with simple long coding straight input...in fact only the the first digits chaned and warning and puddle lights together with the handle light went on...door handle lights were too dark though, as the front ones and even after all codings and adaptations done they remain the same without any menu on the mmi...door handle lights even went off after the codings:( stemie.de just had the ambient activation coding, done but still no menu appeared, only "all zones" and "front"...already opened another thread asking for help on the coding...do you maybe have a3 8v pfl with all these lights programmed?

Thanks for your response...the thing is menu doesnt appear on the mmi although coding done from all the posts mentioned in my previous post. Rear door modules programmed successfully with simple long coding straight input...in fact only the the first digits chaned and warning and puddle lights together with the handle light went on...door handle lights were too dark though, as the front ones and even after all codings and adaptations done they remain the same without any menu on the mmi...door handle lights even went off after the codings:( stemie.de just had the ambient activation coding, done but still no menu appeared, only "all zones" and "front"...already opened another thread asking for help on the coding...do you maybe have a3 8v pfl with all these lights programmed?
So you have menu then. Menu only shows Front that covers Ambient and Cupholder supply, Footwell for footwell and Doors for Door ambient supply. Puddle warning lights, door sill and door handle are not part of that menu or control.
I used stemie.de link to activate mmi menu and activate the pins for footwell cupholder and ambient. Door ambient doorHandle etc are through long coding in door modules.
The door handle light is low power and there is no way to make it brighter unless you change the led yourself. Light supply in door modules cannot be adjusted It can only be turned On or Off

Check through Adaptations in Module 09 Central Electrics for adaptations related to Ambient Lights and change one thing at a time to see how that changes things

Door handle light brightness might be linked to Dimmer control on Headlight switch that controls brightness on buttons. But definitely no control of it through mmi menu or even mention of it Unless you use ambient supply pin for the door handle light Then if you manage to activate Doors on mmi menu you have brightness control.
And that reminds me that in Module 09 Central Electrics adaptations list There are some ambient light parameters that allow you to set default brightness for footwell, ambient and cupholder I think so even if U dont have menu U can set defaults.

So you have menu then. Menu only shows Front that covers Ambient and Cupholder supply, Footwell for footwell and Doors for Door ambient supply. Puddle warning lights, door sill and door handle are not part of that menu or control.
I used stemie.de link to activate mmi menu and activate the pins for footwell cupholder and ambient. Door ambient doorHandle etc are through long coding in door modules.
The door handle light is low power and there is no way to make it brighter unless you change the led yourself. Light supply in door modules cannot be adjusted It can only be turned On or Off
Menu appeared but only with "front" as an option that controlled the cupholder..not footwell or door appears. Door handle were activated successfully together with puddle and warning lights through manual long coding with 004D..... starting digits change but after following @DJAlix post to activate rest of the lighting menu options(footwell and door) all door handles went off. I m very curious if I connect a door handle to the ambient pin of the door module, will it be brighter? All door handles were so dark that you need to bend over to see with your eyes that are just on. Cant be so dark normally in any case I think.

You checking brightness in day or night? unless its dimmer switch that controls brightness on door handle light There is no option to change brightness on it

Menu appeared but only with "front" as an option that controlled the cupholder..not footwell or door appears. Door handle were activated successfully together with puddle and warning lights through manual long coding with 004D..... starting digits change but after following @DJAlix post to activate rest of the lighting menu options(footwell and door) all door handles went off. I m very curious if I connect a door handle to the ambient pin of the door module, will it be brighter? All door handles were so dark that you need to bend over to see with your eyes that are just on. Cant be so dark normally in any case I think.
Menu door light control is for Ambient Supply in doors Not Door Handle light supply

Door handle light brightness might be linked to Dimmer control on Headlight switch that controls brightness on buttons. But definitely no control of it through mmi menu or even mention of it Unless you use ambient supply pin for the door handle light Then if you manage to activate Doors on mmi menu you have brightness control.
And that reminds me that in Module 09 Central Electrics adaptations list There are some ambient light parameters that allow you to set default brightness for footwell, ambient and cupholder I think so even if U dont have menu U can set defaults.
Where are all these?? There are tons of adaptations there...think that door handles were on (just so dark in the beginning) and after some kind of adaptions they all went off...I ve just followed activation tip for footwell and door ambient and they went off...also how can I set footwell lights to be on all the time or only on door opening (this is how it is now, just so dark again)...

You checking brightness in day or night? unless its dimmer switch that controls brightness on door handle light There is no option to change brightness on it
Night, day you can t even see its there on...night you need to bend over and see it with your eyes...

Menu door light control is for Ambient Supply in doors Not Door Handle light supply
Ok got that, still not normal door handle lights to be so dark by default...I ll take a chance and find some time to change the pins from door handle to ambient in the door module just to check if its brighter...in any case I must undo last codings since all door handle lights went off...also need to have all menu option in the mmi to check also footwell lights that are so dark too:( It's like I did nothing...so little light is not normal for sure...

Before trying the ambient pin and dismantling the doors again, have you got the same a3 8v so as to compare codings and adaptations between us maybe and get to the bottom of it?

Hi my friend
Just bought the illuminated door trims to make use of your ambient pins:)))
Managed to get them on at the front doors, can you please share your rear bc modules long coding so as to get them on there too?
Thanks

Hi all
I own a sportback a3 5 door which is missing door warning and entry lights on all doors, door handle illumination, footwell and illuminated door sills:) And maybe cupholder too!!

Although finding tons of info (confusing sometimes:) ) for the warning/entry door lights, front and rear, I can t find easily info on the footwell and especially door sills and door handles. I ve found 2 videos

But they are in italian, so little hard to understand:(
Cupholder can be connected to the cigarette lighter but again I want to do it correctly, so another question mark there. All these need coding through vcds so the mmi has the corresponding options but I ll find my way there I think...
I hope it will be easy for someone who already did these to shed some light with the pins need to be connected for each of them.
Thanks for your time

can you give me your facebook or instagram to ask you about the illuminated door trims?