Reverse camera

Rich19861111

Reaction score
Hi. I’ve currently just fitted a reverse camera to the car. I’ve used a 12v steady signal from the back of the aftermarket CarPlay unit. The trigger cable to switch my CarPlay into reverse comes from reverse light wire. I’m having an issue with it dropping in and out every 5 seconds or so while flickering. I’ve seen relays used but switching the 12v through a relay to me as an electrician will only do the same thing. Do I need to put a suppressor in line with the 12v reverse cable? Any help appreciated.

It's a common issue, relays have a tolerance for holding circuit even when it's not 12 or above, but these reverse cam circuits don't like dropped voltage & basically in most situations like this the voltage is dropping on the reverse wire momentarily enough to disturb the signal to the camera.

Just use a relay on a 12v to trigger the camera or you can also find a relay loom for very little from a reverse camera company online, can't remember there name right this minute but you'll find it easily or as a spark, make one.

Personally I've used 12v relays I've had from car jobs & wired as per above, works like a charm.

Hi… thanks for the fast response… so I’ve been looking and it looks like if I use a SPST relay… use the reverse wire to switch the coil and use 12v from the back of my aftermarket unit to supply a switch when relay switches it will be stable… it’s not camera voltage because I used the signal wire to start with to switch both camera and trigger cable on. Then I desoldered and ran a cable to the 12v at the back of my unit which is Labeled as a 12v line to go to cam. So the issue I’m having in my mind is the reverse signal. Because the light is dropping then it’s dropping the camera switch signal off momentarily

That was my point, you need to use the reverse trigger wire to a relay that switches a clean 12v over to signal the head unit to switch to the camera that has its own 12v supply to turn it on, whether you use the same clean 12v for camera power relay trigger switched is upto you, some cameras don't like instant on off power & sometimes best to have them on a the time with ignition & just the head unit switches modes to a camera that's on all the time cars running, if you get my drift.

Just test it you'll figure it out as a spark it's easy mate.

I had the same issue on my old A4. I used the reverse trigger wire to switch the relay which was an old Ford wiper relay I had laying around. I used a 12v supply from from an unused fuse in the boot.

Reactions: Rich19861111
I had the same issue on my old A4. I used the reverse trigger wire to switch the relay which was an old Ford wiper relay I had laying around. I used a 12v supply from from an unused fuse in the boot.
Trouble is now I get a steady image with only ignition switched… camera has stopped rebooting every 10 seconds but at night the image still looks unsteady like it’s flickering. I’m wondering whether this might be video cable

Hi, I hope you found a solution to your problem but I have the following issue... I ordered a carplay module from ebay 'Road top' for my audi a3 8v. But when I put the 12V from the module with the detection wire then it doesn't automatically go to the reverse camera screen, my dip switches are 1,2,5,6 and also turned 7 on to check but doesn't work either. Video works fine when I put the video cable into the 'front cam' and go into the camera on the module. I just want to avoid going into that everything I need it.