Q5 Q5 40TDI 2022 model - missfire

GJH0702

Reaction score
2022 TDI Q5 now has 2950 miles - had misfire a few weeks ago around 30/35 mph then engine man light- Audi assistance updated software said cylinder 3 was causing problem.
Been out today and misfire is back- dealers quoting early December for service visit and talked about a diagnostic fee !!! car is only 2.5 months old.
Anyone had similar problems?- my first Audi and my last :(

Diagnostic fee, what a load of crap, if Audi assist have diagnosed cylinder 3 was an issue & software temp cured,.now back, that's enough to not charge & check the update for another fix.

Reactions: GJH0702
2022 TDI Q5 now has 2950 miles - had misfire a few weeks ago around 30/35 mph then engine man light- Audi assistance updated software said cylinder 3 was causing problem.
Been out today and misfire is back- dealers quoting early December for service visit and talked about a diagnostic fee !!! car is only 2.5 months old.
Anyone had similar problems?- my first Audi and my last :(
If it's under warranty there should be nothing to pay. Try another dealership in the area if you can.

I had this issue with reading audi, wanted to change diagnostic fees even if it was a warranty issue…
You should be fine as that early into ownership it should be covered by warranty. If not you can use the consumer goods act within 6 months of ownership which means they fix it with no cost or inconvenience to yourself as it’s assumed the issue was there at sale. That’s how I got my sunroof replaced

Reactions: jdp1962 and GJH0702
I had this issue with reading audi, wanted to change diagnostic fees even if it was a warranty issue…
You should be fine as that early into ownership it should be covered by warranty. If not you can use the consumer goods act within 6 months of ownership which means they fix it with no cost or inconvenience to yourself as it’s assumed the issue was there at sale. That’s how I got my sunroof replaced
Yup; in the first six months, the burden of proof is reversed. It’s incumbent on the suppliers to prove the goods are of reasonable quality and fit for purpose. It’s not up to you to prove otherwise.

Did you take the car in or did you speak to them over the phone? Reading Audi is part of the Sytner Group that have a central booking team. I always try to speak to the dealership in person- get a far better service. Either way You’re covered by the Audi new car warranty even if you have bought it pre registered or from another owner rather than new. T and C s below.

New Car Warranty – Terms and Conditions
Audi UK warrants that it will rectify, free of charge, defects in materials and workmanship for a period of up to 3 years or 60,000 miles whichever occurs first. This warranty applies to Audi vehicles which were imported into the UK by Audi UK.
This warranty is subject to the following terms and conditions.
What Your Warranty Covers
The 3-year Audi warranty begins on the date of delivery to the first owner and lasts for a minimum of 2 years, with the warranty continuing for a third year or up to 60,000 miles, whichever comes sooner.
The warranty is automatically transferred to any new owner, subject to the same terms and conditions.
Audi UK warrants that your vehicle will be free from defects in manufacture and workmanship. Your warranty covers:
● The repair or replacement* of defective parts according to technical requirements determined by the Manufacturer.
● The repair of any consequential damage to standard components caused by a manufacturing defect.
● The labour costs of removing and installing parts for warranty repairs at any Audi Centre. You may be charged, at the Audi Centre’s discretion, for any extra work caused by modifications to your vehicle, such as removal and refitting of a tow-bar that has been fitted after manufacture.
● Your warranty applies to the base vehicle only. It does not cover any special fittings, conversions or additional bodywork.
Any defect must be reported to an Audi Centre as soon as it is discovered. This must of course be within the warranty period

Reactions: jdp1962
Did you take the car in or did you speak to them over the phone? Reading Audi is part of the Sytner Group that have a central booking team. I always try to speak to the dealership in person- get a far better service. Either way You’re covered by the Audi new car warranty even if you have bought it pre registered or from another owner rather than new. T and C s below.

New Car Warranty – Terms and Conditions
Audi UK warrants that it will rectify, free of charge, defects in materials and workmanship for a period of up to 3 years or 60,000 miles whichever occurs first. This warranty applies to Audi vehicles which were imported into the UK by Audi UK.
This warranty is subject to the following terms and conditions.
What Your Warranty Covers
The 3-year Audi warranty begins on the date of delivery to the first owner and lasts for a minimum of 2 years, with the warranty continuing for a third year or up to 60,000 miles, whichever comes sooner.
The warranty is automatically transferred to any new owner, subject to the same terms and conditions.
Audi UK warrants that your vehicle will be free from defects in manufacture and workmanship. Your warranty covers:
● The repair or replacement* of defective parts according to technical requirements determined by the Manufacturer.
● The repair of any consequential damage to standard components caused by a manufacturing defect.
● The labour costs of removing and installing parts for warranty repairs at any Audi Centre. You may be charged, at the Audi Centre’s discretion, for any extra work caused by modifications to your vehicle, such as removal and refitting of a tow-bar that has been fitted after manufacture.
● Your warranty applies to the base vehicle only. It does not cover any special fittings, conversions or additional bodywork.
Any defect must be reported to an Audi Centre as soon as it is discovered. This must of course be within the warranty period
Thanks
I phoned two dealers - both wanted 3/4 weeks to book in to look at car re misfire - both mentioned diagnostic fee.
I also have a squealing front brakes I was told I would be charged to have them stripped down and cleaned - car was 4 weeks old with 1500 miles- not prepared to pay for such.
I was ‘grateful’ when engine mgmt light came on as I just called Audi assist however had misfire again this week :(.
Just had 5 LandRovers and dealer service was much better Audi service feels like a bought a cheap car not one costing close to 50k.
Could not go back to supplying dealer as 200 miles away - bought car over phone via Audi finance .
First Audi and cannot get over how hard the ride is - it bounces all over and I have tyres on comfort pressures.

Thanks
I phoned two dealers - both wanted 3/4 weeks to book in to look at car re misfire - both mentioned diagnostic fee.
I also have a squealing front brakes I was told I would be charged to have them stripped down and cleaned - car was 4 weeks old with 1500 miles- not prepared to pay for such.
I was ‘grateful’ when engine mgmt light came on as I just called Audi assist however had misfire again this week :(.
Just had 5 LandRovers and dealer service was much better Audi service feels like a bought a cheap car not one costing close to 50k.
Could not go back to supplying dealer as 200 miles away - bought car over phone via Audi finance .
First Audi and cannot get over how hard the ride is - it bounces all over and I have tyres on comfort pressures.
Squeaky brakes aren’t that uncommon often as a result of the build up of brake dust - you could try (when it’s safe to do so) several hard braking stops to see if this clears the issue.

Re the ride have you tried adjusting the drive select setting to comfort which will set the suspension to its softest setting too

Last edited:
Squeaky brakes at that uncommon often as a result of the build up of brake dust - you could try (when it’s safe to do so) several hard braking stops to see if this clears the issue.

Re the ride have you tried adjusting the drive select setting to comfort which will set the suspension to its softest setting too
Thanks I will try suggestion re brakes:)
I don't have the adaptive suspension so will comfort setting do anything for the ride?

I bought my sq5 from wales audi remotely and reading is my closest dealer. Speaking directly to reading they wanted to charge me diag fees, but in the end when work was done for replacing broken speaker and wheel bearing (speaker was broken on delivery and wheel bearing went within a month), I didn’t get charged anything.
I spoke to wales audi and they agreed to cover diag fees with reading if necessary. Spoke to Sytner HQ and they agreed no diag fees if the issue is covered by warranty.
If you’re getting no resolution then call citizens advice as they can give you the details and even a template letter. You can give them 7-14 days to respond to your request. If no response they’ll advise you on next steps, but generally that does the job.
I had to go that route due to the severe creaking from the sunroof, not covered under warranty but wales replaced under goodwill, but only after I’d sent a recorded letter stating my rights under that act.

I think also if you have finance you can reject the car up to a certain timeframe, so you can also use that as a threat to them (I believe, but worth reading your paperwork), which is probably more hassle for them vs cleaning your brakes