Flywheel chatter? In P and not in D.

LayZ_Pz

Reaction score
Hey,

Got my RS3 and currently have around 1000miles on it.

I have noticed that when the car is warm and in P I got a lot of chatter from the front end, from a quick research it could be the flywheel. Also the engine is quite lumpy after driving it hard (guess more fuel to cool down the cylinders?)

It didn't seem to do it when it was brand new but after breaking in and pushing it a bit it does sound quite loud.

Is that normal or should I book it for an appointement? The car runs and drives perfectly although a bit clunky in Performance when going down from 2nd to 1st.

My MK7 GTI DSG didn't have that noise at all - don't want to be that guy that is looking for issues when there are none, just looking for some re-assurance.

Reactions: DangerMouseUK
Damn seriously? :(

This is what your Dealer/Warranty is for.

Are you sure your not just hearing the noisy 2.5 which is normal at idle ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what your Dealer/Warranty is for.

Are you sure your not just hearing the noisy 2.5 which is normal at idle ?

Nah the noise really does goes away whenever I am in D, Ill try to record it but it seems in line with what I have read :/

If in doubt with anything under warranty, just take it full stop, dont mess about with maybe's , just get at back and looked at.

Reactions: DangerMouseUK and LayZ_Pz
Nah the noise really does goes away whenever I am in D, Ill try to record it but it seems in line with what I have read :/

Best take it into Audi if your concerned.

Reactions: DangerMouseUK and LayZ_Pz
I have noticed that when the car is warm and in P I got a lot of chatter from the front end, from a quick research it could be the flywheel. Also the engine is quite lumpy after driving it hard (guess more fuel to cool down the cylinders?)

It didn't seem to do it when it was brand new but after breaking in and pushing it a bit it does sound quite loud.
When I first got my RS3 I was concerned about a lot of the noises, its quite a loud car mechanically overall.

Have ticking and other small noises from the front engine bay, the drivetrain is quite clunky noise wise, the exhaust flaps rattle sometimes and the brakes squeal a lot of the time + all the wipers judder at random.

Just put it down to the character of the car as others have posted, with that being said you said it didn't do it from brand new and has now started - if that's the case then yeah get it checked like others have mentioned.

I didn't initially notice a lot of these sounds as I was still taking in the whole new car thing but then you start to notice them bit by bit.

The gearbox is a bit jumpy but I put mine in efficiency mode when Im in the middle of town and thats super smooth - not an ideal solution but thats the tradeoff for the power I guess!

Reactions: LayZ_Pz
When I first got my RS3 I was concerned about a lot of the noises, its quite a loud car mechanically overall.

Have ticking and other small noises from the front engine bay, the drivetrain is quite clunky noise wise, the exhaust flaps rattle sometimes and the brakes squeal a lot of the time + all the wipers judder at random.

Just put it down to the character of the car as others have posted, with that being said you said it didn't do it from brand new and has now started - if that's the case then yeah get it checked like others have mentioned.

I didn't initially notice a lot of these sounds as I was still taking in the whole new car thing but then you start to notice them bit by bit.

The gearbox is a bit jumpy but I put mine in efficiency mode when Im in the middle of town and thats super smooth - not an ideal solution but thats the tradeoff for the power I guess!
Appreciate the thorough reply!

I am starting to wonder if maybe it was just not there at the beginning or if I didn't hear it due to excitement. I don't have any symptoms beside that sound, I will try to record it next time and get y'all opinion, would hate to be that guy that always thinks the car has an issue when it just doesn't!

It might actually be something but it might be nothing . . .

I had an issue with my steering rack clicking/whining so whilst I was in the dealership for that I asked the master tech who was on hand to help me and he basically went through all the noises and said they’re all normal.

He put it on his report and the service manager emailed me saying all ok so I guess im covered if it goes bang later? Lol

If you’re not far from the dealership why not try and pass by and see the master tech for a bit and just get them to put it all on a job card and OK it at least that way you’ve reported it and they’ve said all ok?