Boot won't lock

owenjt

Reaction score
The boot on my 2010 Audi A3 won't lock. I was out earlier and noticed that when I locked the car the lights weren't coming on when I pressed the keyfob multiple times (which it normally does). Then when I came back to the car to drive home the dash warned that the boot was unlocked and I haven't been able to lock it since. Also the boot light isn't coming on.

I took off the trim and noticed that the rear washer is leaking a little when the tailgate is open which could be the cause. Can anyone help advise what I should do? Will it work again if it dries out? If not what do I need to replace? The boot open mechanism works fine when I press the boot open button on the keyfob but it just won't lock.

Update: Had another look this morning and looks like the lock might be the problem. When I push the latch up it does not lock into position. Also ran some diagnostics and it came up with the below error. Assuming this is just because the lock won't close?

Raw code: 040E
ECU: 09. Onboard supply control unit[Archive (inactive)]
Audi: Central lock thermal fuse; Central locking thermal protection

It's a common problem, you'll need a new bootlock and a wiper motor.

Reactions: owenjt
Update: It was indeed the boot lock. Managed to get a new one off ebay for £39. Just fitted it and everything is working fine again. Can't see the leak from the rear washing anymore but will keep an eye on it.