Winter tires setup on stock wheels?

LayZ_Pz

Reaction score
Hey, winter is coming. Brace yourselves and it's time for winter tires on the RS3.

I am planning on keeping the stock wheels which as a reminder fits 265/30/19 front and 245/35/19 rear.

I am thinking of going 245 all around as I am guessing smaller on the front wouldn't even fit on the rim, what are you guys opinion/choices?

Reactions: LayZ_Pz
I’m putting these on soon
113c03608c3838b09dacd5706b32dd32.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: davc, LayZ_Pz and Southall87
Personally, unless your country dictates that you must fit winter tyres in certain months, I can come up with no reason why I need to fit winter tyres to any of my past three Audi's. We live in the countryside of Scotland and get brutal winters with lots of snow and every one of my S3s have always gone where I've pointed them on the standard 'summer' tyres in the snow, including ungritted roads as our stable road usually is and the roads surrounding it.

Personally, unless your country dictates that you must fit winter tyres in certain months, I can come up with no reason why I need to fit winter tyres to any of my past three Audi's. We live in the countryside of Scotland and get brutal winters with lots of snow and every one of my S3s have always gone where I've pointed them on the standard 'summer' tyres in the snow, including ungritted roads as our stable road usually is and the roads surrounding it.

It’s not the going that I’m worried about, it’s the turning and stopping. Had an A4 with summer tyres that never got stuck in the snow but had a few very close calls during braking or turning that prompted me to get winter tyres.

I look at them as an investment and don’t have as much risk of sliding into something. That said, I don’t think I’ll get for the RS3 and just run my other car in snowy conditions as it has all seasons on it that are pretty good.

Reactions: HulkRS3
It’s not the going that I’m worried about, it’s the turning and stopping. Had an A4 with summer tyres that never got stuck in the snow but had a few very close calls during braking or turning that prompted me to get winter tyres.

I look at them as an investment and don’t have as much risk of sliding into something. That said, I don’t think I’ll get for the RS3 and just run my other car in snowy conditions as it has all seasons on it that are pretty good.

That's a fair point for more stopping power. I'm quite anal with how close I am to things.

Reactions: Daggerit
That's a fair point for more stopping power. I'm quite anal with how close I am to things.

For me it was when my A4 slid down a hill with no control to brake or turn that made me decide winter tyres were a good idea. It was at walking pace and not even a particularly steep slope either. I’ve had them on every car since if I plan to use it through cold or snowy times of the year.

My S4 was unstoppable with them on, it would happily plough through 30-40cm of snow without breaking a sweat.

And I’ve been able to sell every set after the various cars were gone for decent money too, so the actual outlay wasn’t massive.

I’m putting these on soon
113c03608c3838b09dacd5706b32dd32.jpg

Back to this post… Have you checked the offset and that they will cover the front callipers? They look a lot flatter than the standard front wheels so worried they might clash is all.

With the ceramics there’s hardly any room at all between the back of the spokes and the calliper but don’t know what the steels are like.

Yeah I really do need winter tires we got snow over here and quite a bit. I would rather avoid buying new wheels, esp. that I have the CCB and most 18 don't even fit over CCBs. Still not sure which tires to go for though

Yeah I really do need winter tires we got snow over here and quite a bit. I would rather avoid buying new wheels, esp. that I have the CCB and most 18 don't even fit over CCBs. Still not sure which tires to go for though

I don’t know what they make in our sizes but I can vouch for the Michelin Cross Climates, my FWD car hasn’t gotten stuck in anything so far with them fitted. But if you’re going to have a summer/winter setup then might as well go full winter tyres and I don’t know if they do a lot of options for low profile setups.

I’ve had Pirelli sottozero 3, dunlop winter sport and now I’m using the cross climate 2 as winters on 3 different awd cars.
the Dunlop’s were great, stopping and cornering felt good in heavy snow. The Pirelli’s wasn’t bad but I think the feedback was lacking and when limits of grip was reached it just snapped whereas the Dunlop allowed a more progressive slip/loss of traction. The cross climates 2 are good tyres and capable in snow and all sorts of conditions but stopping distance and all out grip compared to winter tyres they were lacking a bit especially in heavy snow. Thought I try them this time round to see what the fuss was about.
for me the real cost was negligible for having a second set of wheels.
last set of winter wheels and tyres cost me just over £700 from Audi, these were 18in alloy wheels with dunlop winter tyres. I used these for 3 winters and sold them for £600 with still 5mm of tread on them. So real cost £100 but if I kept the summer tyres on and the mileage I did it would have been at least 2 new summer tyres at £3-400. If anything it saved me a few hundred quid.
only issue is Audi dealers don’t always have deals on winter wheels, I’ve been lucky twice getting cheap set of winter wheels/tyres for £700 ish. I was told they retailed at £1100-1200.
another thing to think about is diamond cut face alloys can get bad and corrode in salty gritted roads so a refurb is over a hundred per wheel. Winter wheels generally aren’t diamond cut.

Reactions: RS03???, NevMan and Daggerit
Back to this post… Have you checked the offset and that they will cover the front callipers? They look a lot flatter than the standard front wheels so worried they might clash is all.

With the ceramics there’s hardly any room at all between the back of the spokes and the calliper but don’t know what the steels are like.

Yup they fit…….

Glad to hear you’re organised enough to check, I’m sure there are many that don’t.

Lol it ain’t my first rodeo

Glad to hear you’re organised enough to check, I’m sure there are many that don’t.

We live up quite high up, last year I was late putting the winters on both cars.
It snowed in November here, wife got stuck straight away and my 8V RS3 did fare better but I still couldn’t get it on the driveway without it shuffling all over the place.

Swapped to the winters and both cars went up the hill etc with no issues.

Winters make a big difference, which is why I’ve been using them for years now.

Reactions: davc, NevMan, AlS3BE and 1 other person
Very nice. Would you mind posting a link to where I could get a set of these please?

From here.

There are various options you just need to play around.

Reactions: LayZ_Pz and davc
Summer tyres are not as good below about 7c apparently, my R8 bit me good and hard one dry winters salt free day, just a little too much right foot and it snapped sideways so quickly

Reactions: 8YARWY
Summer tyres are not as good below about 7c apparently, my R8 bit me good and hard one dry winters salt free day, just a little too much right foot and it snapped sideways so quickly

It’s amazing how some say there’s no reason at all for fitting winters when as you say Mike, performance drops off under 7c.

It’s always been a piece of mind thing for me, last thing I want is the snow (which seems regular now in parts of the Uk) causing the car to be stranded on a incline then some bell end who couldn’t drive in normal conditions, let alone in snow / icy conditions coming along on his regular tyres and bumping into me.

It’s amazing how some say there’s no reason at all for fitting winters when as you say Mike, performance drops off under 7c.

It’s always been a piece of mind thing for me, last thing I want is the snow (which seems regular now in parts of the Uk) causing the car to be stranded on a incline then some bell end who couldn’t drive in normal conditions, let alone in snow / icy conditions coming along on his regular tyres and bumping into me.

Chap at work had a 1 series BMW, he lives a little out in the countryside, now we all know just how bad BMW's are in snow/ice etc, he said he couldnt believe the difference winter tyres made to his car

Reactions: RS03??? and Daggerit
Chap at work had a 1 series BMW, he lives a little out in the countryside, now we all know just how bad BMW's are in snow/ice etc, he said he couldnt believe the difference winter tyres made to his car

mate has an slk rwd with winters and he got around when we had that beast from the east.
uk is the only country that can grind to a halt with a flutter of snow. Don’t see this happening in places in Europe which can get much colder and snowier than us. Mate in Canada had couple of feet of snow in last winter and 40degree heat in summer and gets by cause they all use the right tyres for the conditions. I think with our climate as a bare minimum folk should be on all season here.

Reactions: 8YARWY and Daggerit
mate has an slk rwd with winters and he got around when we had that beast from the east.
uk is the only country that can grind to a halt with a flutter of snow. Don’t see this happening in places in Europe which can get much colder and snowier than us. Mate in Canada had couple of feet of snow in last winter and 40degree heat in summer and gets by cause they all use the right tyres for the conditions. I think with our climate as a bare minimum folk should be on all season here.
Believe me, the snow in Canada is different, mega DRY! Even though lots of Lakes!

Some places in Europe may be the same but for sure I've experience in Canada @ -23ºC!

We get wet, slush, stuff! But an RS3 on winter rubber, just superb! Faultless :yahoo:

BLUEY on winter rubber

A few years back now mind but just amazingly brilliant and still memorable!

Reactions: furious_iPod and AlS3BE
Believe me, the snow in Canada is different, mega DRY! Even though lots of Lakes!

Some places in Europe may be the same but for sure I've experience in Canada @ -23ºC!

We get wet, slush, stuff! But an RS3 on winter rubber, just superb! Faultless :yahoo:

View attachment 261166

A few years back now mind but just amazingly brilliant and still memorable!

I would like to drive on those frozen lakes. Just power sliding everywhere with nothing to hit :wink:
D85817A4 1BD6 45F4 B5EB 33BB839BE487

this was start of 2021. Car just kept going on the Pirelli sottozeros with snow up to the bumper in places.

Reactions: furious_iPod, RS03???, kayemill and 2 others
I went with 4x Bridgestone Blizzak LM005 in 245/35 R19 93 W XL, FR.

Seems a bit tight on the front and there isn't much rim protection but did fit like a glove!

Reactions: furious_iPod, AlS3BE, RS03??? and 1 other person
I went with 4x Bridgestone Blizzak LM005 in 245/35 R19 93 W XL, FR.

Seems a bit tight on the front and there isn't much rim protection but did fit like a glove!
I think only AO tyres have decent rim protection. Every non Ao tyre I’ve seen has very little.

I think only AO tyres have decent rim protection. Every non Ao tyre I’ve seen has very little.
Actually the 245 on the rear do offer some rim protection - at least more than on the front but I am not too worried :)

Reactions: AlS3BE and furious_iPod