Will these fit my S3?!

Hardsy

Hardsy_S3
Reaction score
Hey people have seen some wheels i like, wanted to know if these will fit and what spacers/adators will i need?

front 8.5x18
rear 9 x 18

both are 5x112 and have an offset of ET36.

Spacers?!

Help us out! i need some new shoes for her!

Nick

They will with adaptors i think, i just want to know how this effects the width etc, do i need longer bolts!?

Help please!

There are some adaptors in classifieds which will also act as spacers - I reckon they would fit no problem

Aky said:
There are some adaptors in classifieds which will also act as spacers - I reckon they would fit no problem

My only initial thought is the fact that the wheels at the back will 9" wide, by adding the spacer kit will this effect their width (they are also et36) if this helps.

Cheers

I think you will be pushing it to get these to fit. The adapters will take at least 15mm off the offset of the wheel, leading to an effective ET of 21. Given the wheels are 9 inches wide (or 228mm), that means you will have half that distance, plus the 21mm effective offset - so 135mm in total - projecting out from the face of the hub (and conversely 93mm projecting into the car).

IIRC, for hub adaptors you would probably want a larger initial offset (to negate the adaptors), and a narrower rim profile. Hope that helps?

jcs356 said:
I think you will be pushing it to get these to fit. The adapters will take at least 15mm off the offset of the wheel, leading to an effective ET of 21. Given the wheels are 9 inches wide (or 228mm), that means you will have half that distance, plus the 21mm effective offset - so 135mm in total - projecting out from the face of the hub (and conversely 93mm projecting into the car).

IIRC, for hub adaptors you would probably want a larger initial offset (to negate the adaptors), and a narrower rim profile. Hope that helps?

Thanks mate, is it worth finding out the internal and external depths a standard wheel sticks in and out from the hub?! do you know these?

Thanks again!
Nick

Hmm, thinking about this more, I think I've got the numbers the wrong way around in my previous post. Doh! Looking here:
http://www.raceandroad.com/offset.asp
and here:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=21785

So try again, you will be reducing the offset if the adaptors are 15mm to an equivalent ET of 21. Your rim is 228mm wide, so the face of the rim will be 93mm from the hub and back side of the wheel will be 135mm beyond the hub face into the car.

Standard S3 wheels are I think ET 33 (or maybe 35?), and are 7.5inches or 190.5mm wide. So using the same calculations, the centre line of the wheel is at 95.25mm, less the 33mm for the offset, giving 62.25mm projection from the face of the hub.

Based upon the AS.net post linked above, the general concensus is you can get away with 20mm spacers on the rear with normal S3 wheels and just avoid rubbing. However, if you have 18 inch rims or lowered, 15 or 10mm are the max you can go for.

So continuing to use the Avus wheel as an example on a non-lowered car, you can use 20mm spacers so that pushes the outer edge of the rim to a dimension of 82.25mm from the hub.

So on that basis, I think your proposed setup will be too wide by roughly 10mm. But I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Note that this is a rough and ready calculation and doesn't take any sort of negative camber, lowering or the 'bulging' effect of the tyre beyond the rim into account, and is purely based upon some 'back of fag packet' calculations based upon a guestimate of the hub adapter thickness and the offset of a standard Avus wheel.

Hardsy said:
Hey people have seen some wheels i like, wanted to know if these will fit and what spacers/adators will i need?

front 8.5x18
rear 9 x 18

both are 5x112 and have an offset of ET36.

Spacers?!

Help us out! i need some new shoes for her!

Nick

9" rears will rub if you're a keen driver. But if you're putting 9" wide wheels on the back, I'm guessing that handling isn't your priority? As Jason pointed out, most adaptors are 15-20mm so there's almost no way of avoiding rear rub. Just stick to straight smooth roads and aviod bumpbs and corners.

i went with 20mm H&R adapters to fit my monoblocks they were et48 now obviously et28 and front and rear both have room left even with a 25mm drop.
what wheels are you on about or are they top secret??? took me over a bag sand (grand) to fit my monoblocks (including the wheels of course) i do love them dearly though!