New to me B7 3.0tdi…

You need to stick as close to 235 as possible to avoid any issues, 235/35 19 is the closest you will get to 235/40 18 as an equivalent.
35 is not silly low and under normal circumstances but with our roads in such a poor state of repairs your rims will take a battering.
you could try rs4 19" tyre sizing but bearing in mind the rs4 has wider arches those tyre sizes may become an issue on the standard width body , there are a few options and it is a few.

Reactions: B7Tourer and Gmac
Need to update this… ive had the read differential off and replaced two seals. Fixed a leak on a coolant pipe. Fixed a tiny leak on a brake pipe. That was about 5 weeks ago. Today i replaced front lower control arms, febi, arb bushes and drop links, both meyle. easy ish job. Nearside is trickier as the inner bolt on the arm wont come out past the engine mount. So i got my hydraulic support ram and stuck that under the gearbox, whipped the engine mount off and then could remove the inner bolt. All back together and tightened stuff up with the hydraulic ram under the hub to simulate the wheels on the ground. All good. Oh and went through 88888miles!
934F1067 E8E7 4537 9D09 FC72BD1AF623
IMG 1915
IMG 1946
IMG 1938

Reactions: ttelracs, B7Tourer and Charlie Farley
what made you change the suspension arms/linkages chap?

You need to stick as close to 235 as possible to avoid any issues, 235/35 19 is the closest you will get to 235/40 18 as an equivalent.
35 is not silly low and under normal circumstances but with our roads in such a poor state of repairs your rims will take a battering.
Yes, I would I would not like any less profile on my S-Line 235/40 18s. They are on the border of comfort for British roads. They are also highly vulnerable to kerbing, even with modern Michelin Pilot sport rim protectors and very careful driving - this will be the third time I will be getting them done soon. Very very slight but I want to change the colour and any mark is sore to me. They always look nicer than 16" and 17" though; I personally wouldn't want to run to 19" on these cars and I wouldn't want any lower suspension either; you have to creep over some sleeping policemen as it is.

Nice car Gmac and if I had it over I would look for a 3.0TDI. You say the wings need changing? Rust on the lip? I had mine done about a year and a half ago, I think? Good quality insurance approved ones, I had them liberally stone guarded and waxoyled. They have held up very well. It wasn't too much; about 250 a side but they didn't paint the top of the offside one well and it needs buffing, which bugs me now. Will be done very soon.

@B7Tourer yeh, both wings have had a bad repair job on the original wings. They’ll need replaced at some point when family finances allow. most of the car could do with paint due to stone chips and some lacquer peel, notably on the roof. I’m concentrating on mechanical stuff atm.

Treated the old bus and myself to some shiney stuff! Bought a back box delete, and fitted yesterday. Had the car in to work today and very pleased with it, little bit more sound out back, but not too loud at all. Spot on!

IMG 2370
IMG 2369
IMG 2372
IMG 2390
IMG 2389
IMG 2391

• Love
Reactions: tr7 and Charlie Farley
Fresh MOT today, and winter wheels and tyres on too…genuine S4 b7 avus wheels.
IMG 2402
IMG 2403

******…

Not going through insurance as i think they’d maybe write it off, so will just get a quote for repares. Looking like a front wing (will get both done whilst at it, they are past their best anyway) possible bumper respray, bracket on inside of bumper connecting to the wing, and a headlight.

My dad did it, so he’s paying for it! He reversed in to it which his truck, thankfully no suspension or wheel damage. I think I’ll take the opportunity to get the bonnet resprayed whilst at it, so basically a whole new front end respray, blessing in disguise perhaps!! Well, thats the way I’m looking at it! Haha
IMG 2476

oh ****** jjust when it was looking so good in all the updates. Well at least it is family so no need to argue about who was at fault and no need to go through insurance and pay excess. Just more of a pain than anything

Reactions: Gmac
******…

Not going through insurance as i think they’d maybe write it off, so will just get a quote for repares. Looking like a front wing (will get both done whilst at it, they are past their best anyway) possible bumper respray, bracket on inside of bumper connecting to the wing, and a headlight.

My dad did it, so he’s paying for it! He reversed in to it which his truck, thankfully no suspension or wheel damage. I think I’ll take the opportunity to get the bonnet resprayed whilst at it, so basically a whole new front end respray, blessing in disguise perhaps!! Well, thats the way I’m looking at it! Haha
View attachment 272847
Ouch, not ideal chap, not the best Xmas gift.

Went to a guy today who I’ve used previously, to get two new wings, painted, bumper painted, bonnet painted and roof and spoiler painted £2k, (so basically front end and roof). If i supply the wings, (I’m thinking from Lothian Autoparts on eBay, who have had decent feedback on here) He’ll do it for £1500. I’ll still have to get the headlight myself and the inner brackets for the bumper/wing. Thought that sounded not too bad, maybe a tad pricey, but going to try and get another price tomorrow from someone else. He did say if it went through insurance (ie headlight wing and bumper) it’d be £2.5k+

Ouch, not ideal chap, not the best Xmas gift.
Yeh, bit of a hassle, but will definitely work out in the long run, front end respray sounds nice, and hoping to sort out the lacquer peel on the roof at the same time!

Reactions: swisstony
Well that’s the car booked in for 15th Jan, for full front end, roof and tailgate spoiler. Should be looking a whole lot better!

Reactions: NM07 and Charlie Farley
Nice start to a new year too, shinny paintwork :thumbs up: :yes:

Reactions: Gmac and NM07
Sorry to hear, but as you say think of the upside. You'll have a freshly painted frontend and be better off by the end of it!

BTW. The exact Wings Lothian supply you can buy in primer from Eurocarparts for £39 each.

I've bought wings from Lothian painted a pair and was extremely happy with them. But if you're getting the rest of the car paint, it seems a sin to buy them painted for 250 ish when you can buy the pair for £80 and just get them painted by your guy doing the rest of it

Sorry to hear, but as you say think of the upside. You'll have a freshly painted frontend and be better off by the end of it!

BTW. The exact Wings Lothian supply you can buy in primer from Eurocarparts for £39 each.

I've bought wings from Lothian painted a pair and was extremely happy with them. But if you're getting the rest of the car paint, it seems a sin to buy them painted for 250 ish when you can buy the pair for £80 and just get them painted by your guy doing the rest of it
Thanks for the info! Unfortunately its come a week too late.. I’ve ordered and had delivered the wings from Lothian. I know euros did the cheap pair, so was of the thinking buy cheap buy twice, and when i asked them about the better set they do, they said they do do a better quality set but they were something like £240 per wing!

Reactions: tr7
Thanks for the info! Unfortunately its come a week too late.. I’ve ordered and had delivered the wings from Lothian. I know euros did the cheap pair, so was of the thinking buy cheap buy twice, and when i asked them about the better set they do, they said they do do a better quality set but they were something like £240 per wing!
How the colour match?

Yeah they’re the identical brand and part

I’d post photos but on my phone atm

Lothian is very good value for money

So i’ve split the headlights whilst the bumper is off to get painted, so I’ve got these home and will be replacing the lenses and painting insides… some progress so far.. managed to get the amber lenses off in one piece too, very fiddly getting to the hidden T20 screw but got there.
IMG 2688
IMG 2687
IMG 2698

yep, can be a bit fiddly but well worth the effort. :yes:

And is that a car lift I see hiding in the backround.
Haha, it is indeed! Soooooo handy, one of the best things, if not thee best thing ive ever bought! Had it in since 2015, the vice on the work bench is a close second! Lol

• Love
Reactions: Charlie Farley
I'd love one too, not sure about buying a used one though, quite a few factors to consider too about 2 or 4 post etc...any advise chap.

I'd love one too, not sure about buying a used one though, quite a few factors to consider too about 2 or 4 post etc...any advise chap.
Yeh, 2-poster, new from automotech. I went for 3 tonne. It was about £1300 from memory so not ridiculous at all. That was 8 years ago now. Never had any problems with it, runs off 240v. Delivery on top, but they are manoeuvrable. Just make sure the concrete base is deep enough and then just bolted in to the floor with special type of bolt that i can’t remember off the top of my head. Go for it!

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Forgot to take a completed photo of the headlights, but they are done and back down to the painters so that he can refit them before the car is reassembled for collection tomorrow. Cars always look meaty with the wings off!
IMG 2707

Mad max style, just need some spikes on the wheels ..:yes:

• Haha
Need to update this… ive had the read differential off and replaced two seals. Fixed a leak on a coolant pipe. Fixed a tiny leak on a brake pipe. That was about 5 weeks ago. Today i replaced front lower control arms, febi, arb bushes and drop links, both meyle. easy ish job. Nearside is trickier as the inner bolt on the arm wont come out past the engine mount. So i got my hydraulic support ram and stuck that under the gearbox, whipped the engine mount off and then could remove the inner bolt. All back together and tightened stuff up with the hydraulic ram under the hub to simulate the wheels on the ground. All good. Oh and went through 88888miles!View attachment 269702View attachment 269703View attachment 269704View attachment 269705
Mine needs these replacing. Did you notice a difference or is it in your mind it feels more solid ( in the nicest possible way).

Mine needs these replacing. Did you notice a difference or is it in your mind it feels more solid ( in the nicest possible way).
Didn’t notice any difference at all tbh. But its not leaking anymore, which is nice.

Well, the car is back from paint! Looks so much fresher! Got the bonnet bumper roof and rear spoiler all done along with new wings done. I stripped the headlights whilst it was getting paint, painted the insides gloss black. Removed the orange indicator lenses. Changed the side lights for leds. Tried chrome finish but flashing orange indicator bulbs, but they were terrible, almost oink in colour! So put orange bulbs in. Hence the slight orange tint to the lights in the outdoor pic. Put the roof rails and interior trim all back together this morning. Cleared some codes with vcds, which got my auto levelling xenons working properly again, happy days. All back together and gave it a wash. Lovely Job.

77DD7885 ADA7 4879 8CE2 5E99AE6CAA10
IMG 2741
IMG 2750
IMG 2749

• Love
Reactions: tr7, Rob Avant, ttelracs and 1 other person
I was going to suggest those very items. :yahoo:

Need to get an update on here…. Ive had the turbo off and cleaned the VNT mechanism and got it all back together fine. Bit of a job getting it off, but only because I couldn’t find a decent how to video, in english, on YouTube. Will be much easier next time if a need to. Went back on pretty easily though.

Whilst car was the ramp I changed out the grill for a honeycomb style one. Bit of work involved cutting up new eBay one (A6 C6) and then cutting original s-line one. Not helped by the dremmel 3000 packing up half way through lol (DIY fix on that and it’s up and running again!). I need to get the bumper off again though, as I wasn’t happy with the 2pac epoxy glue that i used, just goes a bit brittle so I’ve got myself a tube of tiger seal and will use that to secure it better. It seems fine atm on the car, but will get it off and make sure. Also need to change out the orange indicator bulbs with a set of chrome Philips ones, which hopefully will work better. Whilst the headlights are off I’m going to make sure the boost pressure sensor/IAT sensor - combined sensor on the 3.0tdi for some reason, which is located as part of the intercooler intake, is nice and clean as I’m experie a slight boost hesitation/drop around 1800-2000rpm.
Alos got as set of honeycomb fog light surrounds coming from aliexpress. Should be with me in about a weeks time. Will get the red part behind the main grill painted black too so that it doesn’t show through the grill. And the car itself has just gone through 100k miles! Didn’t get a photo unfortunately as the wife was driving it at the time.
IMG 3008
IMG 3009
9C8F780E 8ADC 4608 B5B8 DA82A5612320
IMG 3010
IMG 3013
IMG 3017
IMG 3020
IMG 3056
IMG 3057

The grill is a ****** to get right, so fiddly but looks like you have managed it .

I was going to suggest when you have the lights out to do the orange indicators into silvertec ones as it makes a cleaner look and gets rid of the fried egg look which I hate. Also was going to suggest change of lens but yours look mint so maybe you did that already ?

Still haven’t recovered from missing the 111111 photo op a few weeks ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The grill is a ****** to get right, so fiddly but looks like you have managed it .

I was going to suggest when you have the lights out to do the orange indicators into silvertec ones as it makes a cleaner look and gets rid of the fried egg look which I hate. Also was going to suggest change of lens but yours look mint so maybe you did that already ?
Yeh bought two new lenses.