Memory mirror upgrade help required

Reaction score
I have swapped the basic electric mirror motor with three wires, to an A5 memory motor with the green connector and six wires. This is for the right mirror (drivers).

The mirror adjusts and sets to memory position with the seats, so all good.... except the following problem:

Moving the adjustment button up, moves the mirror right; moving the mirror button down, moves the mirror left - basically the mirror movement is displaced by 90 degrees, all the way round.

I have done the same job (motor swap) on the left mirror with zero problems (all functions working as expected, inc memory set/movement). As such, I followed the same pin connections for the right hand side.

Anyone know why the adjustment is off by 90 degrees?

My hypotheses:
  • Right mirror has a slightly different pin ordering for the connector to the door module.
  • The car requires the new (right) mirror motor to be defined as a right/driver's mirror
  • Car needs a scan and clearing any faults with VCDS (will be what i do first thing Sunday morning)
  • Something else...

All help appreciated, so close to finalising this memory seat/mirror retrofit!

This is how I have wired both left and right mirror connectors, going into the door modules:

20220731 18313620220731 182225

Last edited:
I'm struggling to think why this might happen. Long shot but it's not something like the base plate the mirror goes on is fixed in the wrong position? So you could turn it 90 degrees and put back in?

Sent from my LE2125 using Tapatalk

Thanks for responding.

Turns out it's far more simple - the motors themselves are sided, so i need the corresponding right side mirror...which i had ordered months ago, forgotten about and now need go through the house to locate it.

This is what happens when you spread a retrofit over many months! I had done all the hard work/research already....

It's actually totally usable as is in the meantime, but want it rectified.

Ah I see, well glad you know how to sort it. I've rarely carried out a retrofit without some issue bugging me for days. All part of the fun!

Sent from my LE2125 using Tapatalk

For sure, but this has, in the (almost) end been very satisfying. I've stripped four wing mirrors, down to de pinning and extending cables via heat shrinking - a great learning experience.

Almost there!