Q7 Problem with 2018 SQ7 Vorsprung - Engine light keeps coming up

RoyalSiam

Reaction score
I bought a 2018 SQ7 Vorsprung last year with only 29k miles on it. Absolutely in love with the car. However in the last 10 months i have had an issue with the engine management light popping up. The first time it happened i took it to Audi Finchley and after a scan they said it was 2 ecus out of 4 that needed changing which they did under warranty. There after invested in getting my own OBD2 reader just in case. While on a driving trip to Europe this Sept the engine management light came on again and i used the reader to see what the issue was. I got the reading that it was the ecu 1 and 2 again. I zeroed it and i got no further errors until a month or so ago. I assumed it was the ecus again. Didn’t do a scan but took it to Audi and now they re telling me thry need to take a look at the inlet manifolds for carbon deposit because the car us running a little rough. But it was running rough when i had the initial problem with the ecus when they changed it.

So my question is whether i should allow Audi to go on this fishing expedition to look at the inlet manifolds for carbon deposit at the cost of just over 1k and not covered by warranty…Doesn’t look right to me…your advise would be most appreciated.

Hi,
Out of interest, did you get it from Audi Finchley / main dealer?
And is it still under the used approved 1 year (or more if purchased) warranty?
If yes, I can't see how they can put this on you. You've already raised the issue multiple times and at the end of the day, it is not fixed regardless of what they have done. If anything, you've given them a chance to rectify it and I'm sure with a load of work, well within your rights of returning the car but thats another story...

Nope bought it from audi in the north. Even though there was extended warranty on the car it was not transferrable so i took out a new one and the car is still covered today - all parts. I prefer to keep the car as it is a lovely spec and the price was reasonable as i bought it prior to all the price rise. All in all i am very happy with it. I m just p**sed that audi want to go on a fishing expedition to clock up costs i believe.

Any thoughts on the inlet manifold inspection they want to do? I know it is the ecus and when those are out of wack the car will run a little rough like the initial problem when it was changed.

Hi,
Out of interest, did you get it from Audi Finchley / main dealer?
And is it still under the used approved 1 year (or more if purchased) warranty?
If yes, I can't see how they can put this on you. You've already raised the issue multiple times and at the end of the day, it is not fixed regardless of what they have done. If anything, you've given them a chance to rectify it and I'm sure with a load of work, well within your rights of returning the car but thats another story...

If you can find a good local VAG independent then it will be more cost-effective than a dealer - they usually have ex-dealer techs in them anyway. Out of factory warranty then the dealer is an expensive luxury to use for maintenance.

If you’re in warranty then I wouldn’t worry about them fishing as you’ll be covered anyway. Best to get it sorted
It depends on the dealer, I had audi reading tell me they had to clean my inlet manifold as it was coated in spot and cussing my issue, £400 as cleaning not covered by warranty, Basingstoke audi changed the valve under warranty and all sorted, no cleaning needed…