Audi A5 2014 2.0 tfsi Quattro

Jakewedwards1

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Apologies if this is asked too much.
I am looking at an Audi A5 2.0 tfsi Quattro black edition.
Reading up on it there is some slight conflicting information.
What issues are on this model year, are the timing chain and oil consumption issues resolved on this model year?
Is there a cam follower issue?
Anything else that I should be concerned about. I am going to be spending some money on this and hope to keep it for at least 5 years.
It has 60000 miles on it and is a manual 6 speed.

thanks In advance
Jake

You want to be looking at engine codes as well as model year and manufacturing date of said engine.

Broadly B8.5s don't suffer, and some late B8s. My A4 B8.5, registered 2012, engine code CDNC, dosent burn oil in quite the way that would indicate serious issues.

The other point is that an engine may have had the work done by Audi (piston rings?), which may not be known by the current seller.

Apparently, Audi might keep that on record, so if you have a friendly at main dealer, that's an option.

You want to be looking at engine codes as well as model year and manufacturing date of said engine.

Broadly B8.5s don't suffer, and some late B8s. My A4 B8.5, registered 2012, engine code CDNC, dosent burn oil in quite the way that would indicate serious issues.

The other point is that an engine may have had the work done by Audi (piston rings?), which may not be known by the current seller.

Apparently, Audi might keep that on record, so if you have a friendly at main dealer, that's an option.
Thanks for your reply!

I have done a vin check online at car vertical and it has come back as having the CNCD engine if that means anything? I don’t know if that means it is a gen 3 ea888 or a revisted gen 2. I called my main dealer and the lady on the phone informed me there is nothing needed on the car, recalls and such.

I see in the title that this A5 is 2014. In which case, it's highly unlikely to be suffering that issue.

However, keep researching and find out as much info as you can -there is plenty of info of this subject online across the various Audi forums.

Also, a stage one tune gives you great ROI for C.£500 or so; significant power increase and a serious increase in torque, right across the rev range.

Good luck!

Hello Jake
Your A5 has exactly the same engine as mine.It is the Gen3 EA888 as you mentioned, and this generation doesn't have the chocolate piston rings/oil burning issues of the previous gen.
As mentioned above a stage 1 remap should be mandatory on these as it brings significant increase's in performance/drivability.
Mine went from 230 hp to 298 and as for the torque increase thats where it makes a massive difference to the drivability.
Regards Paul

To add, reliability is solid - i can't say i have had any issues. It's certainly a good idea service every 6k miles and use premium fuel, either always or regularly.

Reactions: Dadar