Crackle/pop/click noises from speakers

Dosko

Reaction score
Hi all!

After a long wait I finally picked up my S3 with B&O sound system in July and after about a month I started noticing the popping sound coming from the front speakers. It alternates between right->center and left->center dash speakers, like a little rock hitting the windscreen.

I started looking for a cause of this issue and found a thread on another forum which perfectly describes it in various Audi models like Q5, A4, A5 etc.
It's full of posts but unfortunately there's no fix for it yet.

I thoroughly investigated the issue in all possible cases. Here is my summary:
  1. The sound can be heard no matter of the engine state: engine off, ignition on, engine on.
  2. The sound source doesn’t matter: radio, wired/wireless phone connection.
  3. The sound is NOT present at all when MMI is muted.
  4. The sound is also NOT present when MMI volume is turned up, but the track being played is silent (I found “absolute silence” track on YouTube).
  5. The popping sound volume is irrelevant to MMI volume, hence it’s more difficult to spot when playing a loud music.
  6. It occurs in specific time spaces - randomly in 1-2 minutes, but then there’s almost always another pop after 9 seconds (this can be well spotted on my YT video).
I’ve made a recording on my phone placed on the dash in which the popping can be well heard. You can check my YouTube video here:

I've sat in another S3 and RS3 with B&O and experienced the very same popping sound. I've also sat in an A3 without B&O - heard the same sound but it was less intense (probably because of a weaker amplifier).

Has anyone of you experienced the same and already reported it to a dealer?

Mine does this as well, but I'd only ever noticed it when the volume is really low and running through wireless carplay. I figured it was distortion in the wireless connection as they run over WIFI not Bluetooth?

I've got the B&O, can't say I've heard this 'static' crakle. However I've noticed on some bass heavy tracks, the sub 'farts' and sounds as if something's loose in the sub area. Think I might need to bring that in for warranty work.

I’ve experienced a crackly sound seemingly coming from the passenger side front left dash speaker on b&o. Turns out it was a loose grille and Audi put some anti rattle tape as they called it. No problem since.

Reactions: AdamInKent