1.9tdi or 2.0tdi a4 b7?

WichAudi

Reaction score
Lads.. I have a dilemma that prob is easy to be sorted.. I’ll buy my first Audi and trying to find a nice a4 b7.
So I was reading about the engine models and heard that the 1.9tdi isn’t reliable as the 2.0tdi and also isn’t as smooth as the 2.0..
But the nicer I found is a 1.9 low mileage..
any tip?
thanks

They're that old now you will have to base your decision on service history and previous upkeep as thats what it really comes down to, the youngest B7 is now 14(?) yrs old so hard to say at that age which one is more reliable really.

Reactions: spartacus 68
I'd say the 1.9TDI is a far more reliable engine than the 2.0 TDI BLB, considering the latter has balance shaft/oil pump issues. No such thing to worry about on the 1.9TDI:

Any specific reason you are looking only at Diesel based variants?

So I was reading about the engine models and heard that the 1.9tdi isn’t reliable as the 2.0tdi and also isn’t as smooth as the 2.0.
The 1.9 is almost bullet proof, with many covering well in excess of 500K, without issue. The 2.0 has 2 main faults from inception, both of which can prove fatal: The aforementioned oil pump hex drive shaft (and chain drive on early ones) and the idler pulley camshaft. But if both are sorted, the former with a KMB Engineering modification and the latter with a helicoil insert, then the 2.0 can prove equally as robust. If you find one already sorted with these, or do it yourself, then it is a much smoother and more powerful stock engine, having balance shafts unlike the 1.9, which can sound more agricultural at times. My 2.0TDi 140 with these mods is at 240K and runs like a barely run in 5 year old. The 170 can have more issues with the injectors/turbo and has a DPF too, which is undesirable, really.

Reactions: tr7 and NM07