New member hoping to join the A6 Avant club

LostInSpace

Reaction score
Hi all,

Quick intro as I start the hunt for an A6 Avant - have spent a lot of time over the last month trawling through the forum and other online sources to familiarise myself with options, spec etc to help refine what I’m looking for - so thanks to everyone for making the forum a valuable contribution to that, and I now feel confident to start viewing cars.

A deposit was placed on a car that I was interested in this afternoon, so a frustrating start to the search, but I’m a firm believer in fate and I’m sure the right car for me will turn up in due course. I’ll keep the thread updated with the journey…

Cheers,

Ryan

I'm coming back to Audi after a 6 year stint with BMW lease cars (X3 -> 330i) and have finalised on a A6 Avant today (hopefully not the one you were looking at!). Looking forward to getting my hands on it.

Long ish story :)
10 or 11 years ago I had a A3 (8P) and loved it, my ECU unfortunately died and I had to go into Audi for a replacement. They gave me a A6 Avant as a courtesy car and I fell in love but couldn't afford it! I ended up moving from that 8P to a company lease A3 but the 8V (2.0TDI Quattro). I then spent the last 9 years in lease cars spending a fortune for a brand new car but not really much in return. I decided after the last car I would come back to Audi and placed an order!

I placed an order for a brand new A6 Vorsprung 50 TFSIe, black, all the boxes ticked, couldn't wait! But pretty much as soon as I had signed everything the world exploded and I decided it probably wasn't sensible to spend £800+ a month on a car. Luckily for me, not only the finanicial world exploded but also big delays on cars so they kept pushing it back. Dec, then Jan, then back to April. They let me cancel it and I started hunting for an older version that I could essentially run into the ground.

So to answer your question: I wanted something economical (I do a lot of motorway miles) so aimed at the 2.0TDI, and I wanted the s-line trim. I found one that ticked those boxes, plus the 19" twin spoke wheels, Bose sound, and uprated MMI; I would have specced those had I got to choose the options. I prefer the look of the pre-facelift so that's what I went for. All I need to do to it to make it perfect is tint the rear windows with the same level of tint the factory does, and remap it.

My only disappointment is that I can't code android auto into it (required facelift) and will need to look at a chinese box to enable it instead. My current car is a 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport and its essentially a computer - heads up display, large touchscreen display, voice and gesture control, everything - gonna take some getting used to not having it all!

My only disappointment is that I can't code android auto into it (required facelift) and will need to look at a chinese box to enable it instead. My current car is a 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport and its essentially a computer - heads up display, large touchscreen display, voice and gesture control, everything - gonna take some getting used to not having it all!

Facelift didn't give you the option unless you specced it so I wouldn't worry to much.

@Simonbt - That is an eventful journey. I know what you mean about tech/toys in the late model cars - Whilst trawling through forums to understand options I came across RSNAV - not cheap but looks like a very good solution to bring modern tech to the older cars.

Cheers,

Ryan

@Simonbt - That is an eventful journey. I know what you mean about tech/toys in the late model cars - Whilst trawling through forums to understand options I came across RSNAV - not cheap but looks like a very good solution to bring modern tech to the older cars.

Cheers,

Ryan
Ideally I would like to retain the standard screen and just get android auto on it but once I have the car in my possession I'll likely give it a good go and write a review on here!

The RSNAV android setups do look very smart, I think I saw someone on here who had put one in. The integrated automotive setup looks like it could give me exactly what I want, but then is it worth just plumping the extra £300 and getting the full setup and much larger/better screen too?

I think it may depend on the use case - prior to Covid I had a daily 19 mile (wach way) commute, I didn’t need Nav, there were two ways home, just wanted to enjoy some music to chill out. I now need to make regular (fortnightly) trips from West Sussex to Wales, so having genuinely usable access to modern nav to monitor traffic, music, podcasts etc is important and I think that’s were the value in RSNAV would come from.

Mine came with the Audi Connect "MMI Touch" option (about £3k extra), but it's useless compared to Waze.... so £10 for a little air vent grill-mount next to the driver's door and I get a good "balance" (discreet, cheap and I have Spotify on BT audio and the latest Waze right next to my hand).

Mine came with the Audi Connect "MMI Touch" option (about £3k extra), but it's useless compared to Waze.... so £10 for a little air vent grill-mount next to the driver's door and I get a good "balance" (discreet, cheap and I have Spotify on BT audio and the latest Waze right next to my hand).
Is Audi Connect MMI Touch the option that adds the SIM card? I know the Tech Pack adds the touch pad, but can’t figure out what option adds the SIM. Trying to figure out what options are must have, nice to have and what can be replaced by a mobile phone and/or software updates. It’s confusing :shrug:

The Tech Pack gave you the uprated MMI system that included the touch pad. On the facelift vehicles this also included an integrated 4g SIM. If I recall correctly prior to the facelift it relied on either using a mobile phone with rSAP functionality (not iPhones!) or the insertion of a 3G SIM into the slot between the two SD Card slots behind the flip down panel. Remember that we are entering the time when 3g will start to be turned off in the UK (Vodafone is due to start this year) meaning pre-Facelift cars will increasingly become less able to have integrated connectivity as they will not support 4g. Facelift cars only came with 3 years of Audi Connect functionality, after which it had to be extended. Initially many were able to get that done for free but now it is a chargeable item. Audi Connect gives the ability to remotely connect with the car to do things like check it is locked, locate it on a map, book services etc. It also allows the downloading of map data updates and access to real time traffic data. I think it is about £120 per annum.

If you get a 2016 or later car with the Tech Pack then it may come with Apple CarPlay/Android Auto functionality installed (it was an option) or there are those that can activate it for you. That provides a very viable alternative and is future proof

Reactions: J10NMM
If I recall correctly prior to the facelift it relied on either using a mobile phone with rSAP functionality (not iPhones!) or the insertion of a 3G SIM into the slot between the two SD Card slots behind the flip down panel. Remember that we are entering the time when 3g will start to be turned off in the UK (Vodafone is due to start this year) meaning pre-Facelift cars will increasingly become less able to have integrated connectivity as they will not support 4g. Facelift cars only came with 3 years of Audi Connect functionality, after which it had to be extended. Initially many were able to get that done for free but now it is a chargeable item. Audi Connect gives the ability to remotely connect with the car to do things like check it is locked, locate it on a map, book services etc. It also allows the downloading of map data updates and access to real time traffic data. I think it is about £120 per annum.
Mine is a 2012 - the last of the supercharged V6 petrols :) It was before the "Tech Pack" version was released, but it came with the RSAP 3G connectivity MMI "Touch" (Audi Connect) system that was included in the Tech pack from about 2013 until the facelift.

RSAP was absolutely awesome - supported by most mobile phones, going all the way back to 2G-only Nokias (and then the car would be on 3G)... but NOT iPhones at all as they removed that from their Bluetooth support and I think some of the later Samsungs also dropped it - probably went the same way as the headphone jack: if Apple can get way with cutting that cost and still charging the same, then Samsung is sure as hell gonna try!

The only downside of RSAP was that if somebody sent you an SMS, then the car received it, not your phone... so I did find the odd message in the car a few days later!! WhatsApp/Signal/Telegram were all okay though as the car would create a WiFi hotspot and your phone would reconnect back to that.

I say "was" because I don't use it any more at all:
1) Even a phone on a weak 5G signal will normally be better speed than Audi 3G, which was pretty poor, even for 3G.
2) The Audi GoogleMaps is not "Google Maps" - it is Audi's proprietary snapshot of GoogleMaps, with:
a) most of the clever features removed (no live traffic updates - it only has the highways agency RDS updates)
b) a £200+ subscription fee every 2 years... after the first two years that were free
c) out-dated maps that are at least £200 per update (the subscription does NOT give you access to this)

I did have a spare SIM card that I tried briefly - it did get online slightly faster, but once you were online, the speed was the same. If you're going with the onboard satnav, assuming your main phone has a good size data allowance, I'd still recommend RSAP over that just so you're not wasting ~£10pcm with a risk of going seriously over data limits (if the kids start streaming Netflix in the back or a tablet starts doing a major update over your pay-per-Gb SIM card).

Regarding the annual subscription: I don't know if this is to "Audi's credit" or if they just knew the product was too minimalist and outdated to actually be charging for it, but they gave me a 2yr extension on my subscription for free, but I had stopped using that WAY before the final free Audi Connect subscription ran out...

Recommendation: Mobile phone on the side, with Spotify+Waze+Bluetooth.

Regrets? I miss the Google Earth view not having the detailed aerial photos on the big SatNav screen in the centre... to show off for the kids sometimes, but other than that...

Last edited: