Xenons. Quality replacement bulb?

Rog_B

Reaction score
Hi
I had an A1 S Line with xenons and they definitely seemed brighter. My A3 8v is 6 years old so perhaps they have lost something over the years. Apart from VAG parts, can anyone recommend a good replacement bulb? Cheers and an early Happy New Year

I would go for a Philips or osram bulb.
They are expensive compare to some £20 eBay bulbs but they last longer and has the right colour temp.

Reactions: Rog_B
I would go for a Philips or osram bulb.
They are expensive compare to some £20 eBay bulbs but they last longer and has the right colour temp.
Thanks, I'll go Phillips or Osram as you suggest.
Found a useful thread for anyone else looking.

Reactions: AlS3BE
The alignment of the headlights also makes a difference. Mine were pointing down a bit too much so I manually adjusted them. That along with some new philips standard wattage bulbs and things are a tonne better.

The alignment of the headlights also makes a difference. Mine were pointing down a bit too much so I manually adjusted them. That along with some new philips standard wattage bulbs and things are a tonne better.
Haha did that on Sunday, but it's a good thing to try. I just think after 6 years the HIDs have seen better days. It's very hard choosing what to buy.

Reactions: Damo S
Hi
I had an A1 S Line with xenons and they definitely seemed brighter. My A3 8v is 6 years old so perhaps they have lost something over the years. Apart from VAG parts, can anyone recommend a good replacement bulb? Cheers and an early Happy New Year
If you have Xenon bulbs, you can fit LED bulbs in there. I bought two sets, one for my 2011 A6, a car renowned for throwing up error messages and my wife’s 2012 A1, neither car gave any error messages at all and both headlamps were far brighter with the new bulbs. I got them from www.xenonbulbs.co.uk
A set of two will be cheaper than Audi will charge you for 1 bulb. I recommend these all day long.

If you have Xenon bulbs, you can fit LED bulbs in there. I bought two sets, one for my 2011 A6, a car renowned for throwing up error messages and my wife’s 2012 A1, neither car gave any error messages at all and both headlamps were far brighter with the new bulbs. I got them from www.xenonbulbs.co.uk
A set of two will be cheaper than Audi will charge you for 1 bulb. I recommend these all day long.
I'm not sure if there are any advantages fitting LED headlight bulbs, going by my research, into projectors designed for HID. But I appreciate your suggestion.

Osram Nightbreaker D3S. Bought two yesterday, 74 euro each (via Amazon).
Did not expect Xenon to be that expensive.

OEM bulb is 250 euro at the dealer..

Osram Nightbreaker D3S. Bought two yesterday, 74 euro each (via Amazon).
Did not expect Xenon to be that expensive.

OEM bulb is 250 euro at the dealer..
I managed to order a pair of Nightbreaker Laser from ebay for £116 on offer. Pretty certain these are genuine. Also pair of white xenon H8 fog bulbs to complete the upgrade.

Final update. I fitted the Lasers which replaced the Philips Zenstart I found in there. I can't tell any difference in the output only colour temperature is slightly warmer, this may change after some burn in time, apparently. Bit of a waste of time and money, certainly not night and day difference and what a ballache going through the wheel liner especially if you have big hands lol.
Replaced the fog bulbs too and they are closer to the xenons now.
Oh well at least I have a decent spare pair of Philips bulbs... my advice is to leave well alone until a bulb goes or you can see one noticeably dimmer.

Reactions: SDB and AlS3BE
Didn’t help your cause but just found the osram bulbs at Halfords for around £20 each if you have a trade card. Was looking for my other car and thought that was cheap.

Didn’t help your cause but just found the osram bulbs at Halfords for around £20 each if you have a trade card. Was looking for my other car and thought that was cheap.
That is cheap - I've been looking at replacing my bulbs as I think they're also a bit dimmer than they used to be, and even Halfords own brand (on the right) are £40 (the prices displayed are trade card prices)

That is cheap - I've been looking at replacing my bulbs as I think they're also a bit dimmer than they used to be, and even Halfords own brand (on the right) are £40 (the prices displayed are trade card prices)

View attachment 262999
Do you really think they will fit them for £9? My sore and cut hands are asking for a friend

Do you really think they will fit them for £9? My sore and cut hands are asking for a friend
Yes, my sister has a small car and only way was to go through the wheel arch liner and stick your hands in and feel your way through it.
they did it all for 9 quid a side. Took me 45 minutes and a lot of swearing to do it first time for her so told her to take it to Halfords when both bulbs went and pay them the £9. :wink:

• Love
The question is not whether they will fit them for £9, but do you trust them to do a good job for £9...

• Haha
Hmm despite having headlights on all the time to get them burned in, they seem a nice white when switching on but after a few seconds start getting warmer/yellower. I saw a post about this somewhere.
It's very disappointing after the expense and effort of getting them in. I've written to Osram and hopefully will get a response.
My advice at the moment? Stick with Philips....

I doubt it’s anything to do with the bulbs.
You should of done more research,

firstly oem bulbs are 4300k which are not a white light, they may seem it but there not, 5500k - 5700k is about the closest to white, anything above starts appearing blue.

Secondly, how your describing your issues with them getting more yellow the longer there on would be a ballast issue not the bulbs, there also as old as the bulbs and there what create the power / output, they weaken over time

Osram night breakers
Osram xenarcs
Phillips
Etc are all good quality high end bulbs, but there only as good as the power there given

Osram xenarc 5500k with new ballasts are brilliant, night and day difference to oem bulbs on old ballasts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firstly I'm not sure you have read my posts. I fitted 4400K Nightbreaker Laser bulbs not OEM.
Secondly unless the ballast is failing, and output is flickering or cutting out, ballasts have no effect on colour temperature. It is purely a product of the bulbs chemical makeup.
Both bulbs start white and become yellower at exactly the same time, in a few seconds as they reach operating temperature. Ballasts wouldn't "wear" or indeed fail at exactly the same rate.
I've looked at those 5500K Cool Blues and really don't like that tinge, with or without new ballasts.