S3 mechanical door and whining noise issue

missviper

Reaction score
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been on here. Happy new year all.
So now to my mechanical issue. I have a 2009 S3 with 130k on the clock. My problems started when I started to get a intermittent whinning noise. Almost like a Hamster on a wheel the faster I driver the quicker the noise goes. But, it's not all the time, doesn't start on start up and happens during a drive and can last anything from 5mins to 15mins then just stops. I've driven 300miles down to Cornwall and it didn't make the noise once. But most days it does. 2nd issue around the same time my rear door locks are not working. One is permanently locked and can't open from either inside or out., the other I can't lock at all. The rear windows also do not work. They hardly get used to be honest and randomly have gone. Is this related to the whining or not any ideas?? Please help

Check front door hinge rubbers for broken wires 1st.

Reactions: missviper
I was thinking potential wires broken. Just odd both doors have gone. Also the noise could that be related to the door electrics, if it's the alternator going potentially?

Mines the same regarding the rear locks. I know the lock mechs do go faulty but also like above all sorts of strange things happen from broken wires on front doors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So now to my mechanical issue. I have a 2009 S3 with 130k on the clock. My problems started when I started to get a intermittent whinning noise. Almost like a Hamster on a wheel the faster I driver the quicker the noise goes. But, it's not all the time, doesn't start on start up and happens during a drive and can last anything from 5mins to 15mins then just stops. I've driven 300miles down to Cornwall and it didn't make the noise once. But most days it does. 2nd issue around the same time my rear door locks are not working. One is permanently locked and can't open from either inside or out., the other I can't lock at all. The rear windows also do not work. They hardly get used to be honest and randomly have gone. Is this related to the whining or not any ideas?? Please help
Got a sound clip of the noise?

Have you isolated a general area that the noise is coming from?

I had a whining/humming noise on my S3 a while back and initially suspected it was my wheel bearings giving up the ghost. Turns out it was my rear diff, due to a lack of oil in the diff itself (not the haldex coupling). I foolishly left it too long and one day the crown bearing seized and blew up the diff:sorrow:

Mine was also speed-related and the volume was dependent on the speed I was traveling... but yeah it could be anything, my advice would be to get it diagnosed sooner than later.

I can't see the whining noise and ur door locks & window issue being related .
1) windows work on the electric telling a part to open ( so mabe broken wires within bungs or looms.( based on 3dr) check driver door bung for corroded or broken wires.
If all ok electrics are fine for operating.
2) Then next thing it could be Regulator ( part within outer and inner door skin) cable could be snapped so not allowing window to adjust hence it is needing replaced .
3rdly it could be the door module .
As to the locks i hear alot about these malfunctioning on 5dr cars ( could be micro switch ) so best just to replace new as 2nd hand ones from scrap yard ur never going to be able to try 1st.
Whining noise , cars make strange noises at times and sometime u suspect its coming from somewhere and it ain't ( example little rattle noise i thought was coming from passengers side off AC unit ) turned out to be my cam chain was slack so had to replace and Tensioner now sound all away

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I can't see the whining noise and ur door locks & window issue being related .
1) windows work on the electric telling a part to open ( so mabe broken wires within bungs or looms.( based on 3dr) check driver door bung for corroded or broken wires.
If all ok electrics are fine for operating.
2) Then next thing it could be Regulator ( part within outer and inner door skin) cable could be snapped so not allowing window to adjust hence it is needing replaced .
3rdly it could be the door module .
As to the locks i hear alot about these malfunctioning on 5dr cars ( could be micro switch ) so best just to replace new as 2nd hand ones from scrap yard ur never going to be able to try 1st.
Whining noise , cars make strange noises at times and sometime u suspect its coming from somewhere and it ain't ( example little rattle noise i thought was coming from passengers side off AC unit ) turned out to be my cam chain was slack so had to replace and Tensioner now sound all away

So I couldn't see any broken wires etc
.. My cars been looked at today and the Mechanic discovered its the door latch that needs replacing. Though he needs to order the part and warned he's got to get the door open carefully and trying to avoid damaging the interior trim. Stating replacing the door trim would cost £600. He's checked all the other doors, boot etc and the faulty door is showing code for door latch. No faults shown with anything else and randomly the other passenger door is now working fine.

In relation to the noise it's sod law that it didn't make it for the Mechanic. He's checked the engine amd nothing obvious. He did mention the gear box is a little notch and recommends changing the gear box oil. This jas never been done. He did say there is no signs of any leaking. Though can't figure out where the whining noise is coming from ....

Maybe it's one of those things where I need to drive it for longer until it gets worse. I did say before I dropped it in that the car seems to be making the noise less and he suggested is it since its got colder. Whether or not temperature is making a difference
So not much further forward, apart from the other door is locking now and window is working.

expand...
So I couldn't see any broken wires etc
.. My cars been looked at today and the Mechanic discovered its the door latch that needs replacing. Though he needs to order the part and warned he's got to get the door open carefully and trying to avoid damaging the interior trim. Stating replacing the door trim would cost £600. He's checked all the other doors, boot etc and the faulty door is showing code for door latch. No faults shown with anything else and randomly the other passenger door is now working fine.

In relation to the noise it's sod law that it didn't make it for the Mechanic. He's checked the engine amd nothing obvious. He did mention the gear box is a little notch and recommends changing the gear box oil. This has never been done. He did say there is no signs of any leaking. Though can't figure out where the whining noise is coming from ....

Maybe it's one of those things where I need to drive it for longer until it gets worse. I did say before I dropped it in that the car seems to be making the noise less and he suggested is it since its got colder. Whether or not temperature is making a difference
So not much further forward, apart from the other door is locking now and window is working.

Have you isolated a general area that the noise is coming from?

I had a whining/humming noise on my S3 a while back and initially suspected it was my wheel bearings giving up the ghost. Turns out it was my rear diff, due to a lack of oil in the diff itself (not the haldex coupling). I foolishly left it too long and one day the crown bearing seized and blew up the diff:sorrow:

Mine was also speed-related and the volume was dependent on the speed I was traveling... but yeah it could be anything, my advice would be to get it diagnosed sooner than later.
Was the humming noise all the time or intermittent?

Though he needs to order the part and warned he's got to get the door open carefully and trying to avoid damaging the interior trim. Stating replacing the door trim would cost £600.
What does he mean by interior trim, cause the door panel inside removes easily so am scratching my head to figure out why he has said £600 , u could buy a 2nd hand door and have it all sprayed and fitted for that price i would have thought

Because the door won't open, it's locked shut. He might have to remove the inside trim from the door in a closed position. But he will try taking the outer seal and get in from there with a long rod. The trim is the red S3 leather interior door card etc....

Because the door won't open, it's locked shut. He might have to remove the inside trim from the door in a closed position. But he will try taking the outer seal and get in from there with a long rod. The trim is the red S3 leather interior door card etc....
Ok dokie got you now , as u will need door opened to remove inner panel , it is really only 3 torx #20 iirc to remove interior panel .

Ok dokie got you now , as u will need door opened to remove inner panel , it is really only 3 torx #20 iirc to remove interior panel .

Sent from my SM-G970F using

Hence why, it may break. Because the door is locked and won't unlock. To be honest I've been considering whether it worth doing or not spending anymore money and trade it in for a newer car.

Any chance u can update so other members might learn .Thanks

Was the humming noise all the time or intermittent?
I assume it was all the time, but it was only really audible at lower rpm/speed. When on the highway etc at higher speed it was harder to hear it.

In my experience it got louder as the wear on the bearing increased. So in my case it became louder and louder over time; until it eventually popped.

Any chance u can update so other members might learn .Thanks

I'm still waiting to get my car in to be be fixed. That's not till later on this month, due to them needing it for two days.

I assume it was all the time, but it was only really audible at lower rpm/speed. When on the highway etc at higher speed it was harder to hear it.

In my experience it got louder as the wear on the bearing increased. So in my case it became louder and louder over time; until it eventually popped.
The noise on mine seems to not be happening as much now. Very odd.....

I never found out what the noise was. Its seems to have not got worse and the mechanic cannot locate where its coming from...