a4 b8 abs eps parking brake malfunction

155limit

Reaction score
Hello ,
I just yesterday purchased a 2010 a4 3.0 tdi quattro , test drive was fine although the car had been sitting for a couple months prior as lots of rust buid up on all 4 discs ,, there was no lights on dash and the car was restarted several times was fine just inital grating of breaks.

The car was then driven over 200 miles back to my home , everthing was fine , handled excellent , brakes excellent , the car was parked up overnight and the next day i had a look ad break discs they were all shiny and clear of rust , on starting the car the dashboard lit up like a christmas tree ABS malfunction EPS faliure and parking brake malfunction .

Me previous audi had abs/eps warning on dash , this started every now and then , sometimes code be there other days it wasn't , as time went on stayed permanent , after diagnostic driver rear abs sensor open loop , and rust on rear hub had destroyer the sensor , shredded it over time - i have also see similar posts where water in ecu has caused these warnings.

In this case , i think given what has happened , all the rust from the discs on the journey back has came off and one or more of the abs sensors has got covered (as i belive they are magnetic) then on restart its picked up fault.

Sorry its been quite long , but i felt important to mention the lead up , my question is should i get a diagnostic done , then if it is faulty abs sensor will it be more likey the sensor will not be damaged and just need cleaning ,

thanks for reading and appreciate any suggestions

Welcome. This sounds like a battery issue. Strange things happen when the battery is past its best and power management kicks in. Scan the car for fault codes and post the scan here. In the mean time have a read through the battery threads.

Reactions: spartacus 68, 155limit and NHN
As John advises, get it on a ctek, then clear the errors, see how you go.

Could always take the wheels of, clear the brake dust & maybe remove the sensors & check for any damage, refit after diagnostics.

Assuming you have a diag tool to hand.

Reactions: spartacus 68 and 155limit
thanks, i am planning on sunday to read codes then clear codes , i am suspecting its going to flag up a abs sensor because we looked over the car for good hour , 30 min test drive then 3.5 hours on motorway and got no faults on dash until next day , however i will also check battery as i forgot to mention "audi headlight range control system fault" was also on dash as well as eps/abs/parking break which shouldnt be related so it very well could also be battery - thanks guys

Check the reported battery levels with VCDS, if you have the original battery from 2010, it will be knackered. The available battery capacity, can gateway 19, measure block 20, will be very low and the voltage, measure block 18, will be far lower than the 14.8 that it should be (I know been there and bought a new battery)

Reactions: 155limit
Start with the battery and work from there. Headlight range control could be a broken self-level adjustor on the passenger side front and rear.

Just had a look at B8 sensors - so just an allan key bolt to hold in place and sensor is plastic, so no ball-ache from siezing in the hub.

Hi thanks for help and advice , i ordered back/right abs sensor , but got sent wrong side ! But anyway this is what computer showing , i check battery and it is the origional so that will definitely need changed

Attachments

• IMG_9863.JPEG
    IMG_9863.JPEG
    950.2 KB · Views: 110
Reactions: spartacus 68
That's strange, I only have two wheel speed sensors that are diagonal (front left / rear right). Do some have four?

Just a quick update on this one , eventually after trying replacing both rear sensors (then i waited a month to get booked in to a "garage" who then didn't want to face replacing 2 rear wheel bearing because quattro lol ) then after a few more month i eventually got to a local garage who seemed to know what they were talking about , said it was a common fault on these , i got both rear wheel bearings done (in the back of my head i thought i hope it was not battery like a few mentioned on here - but to me it made no sense given the circumstances leading up to faults and just them annoying faults came up on dash as regular as clockwork after ignition ) and its fixed ! was best £460 i spent , the cars i different animal with abs / stability control and whatever else came back to life , i must of drove 200 miles in 2 days just enjoying the car and countryside :blackrs4:

Reactions: jdp1962 and spartacus 68