Anyone replaced their BKD VNT nozzle base plate?

Nessy

VW + Audi mad
Reaction score
364C464C 8880 4B30 92EE C42C976B0C6F
I need to replace the VNT nozzle ring & base plate on my BKD but can’t any info.
The nozzle ring ( with vanes) itself is very easy to remove/ replace but despite searching for ages can’t find any info about the base plate ( see pic).
Does it drift out or is it held in place by that metal collar that appears in the pic?
Can anyone advise me?
Thanks!

What's wrong with your ring as looks fine to me, I've had these turbos apart more times than I can remember & apart from a good Dremel wire brush clean on all parts, they're usually fairly reliable tbh.

It's only the gases that make them go wrong, but a clean every 20-40k helps allot

Thanks for your reply NHN.
The turbo in question is a Genuine VAG unit fitted in 2014 with under 90K miles on it.
I’ve cleaned up the nozzle ring and it cleaned up very well, however the issue comes when putting it all back together again.
When I tighten the 3 torx screws holding the nozzle ring down (and they’re not being done up very tight either) I find that 2 of the vanes become really tight, which causes the ring to jam.
The only way to stop the rotating ring from jamming is to slacken one of the screws.
I’m really not happy putting the turbo back on the car where I have any doubts that it won’t jam again.
To that end I’ve bought a new VNT nozzle ring with base plate and will try fitting just the upper half and see if this will fix things.
If however it still binds then I’d have to replace the base plate as well, hence the post……
Cheers

Did you refit the 3 metal spacer washers?

I also experienced this & just adjusted some areas with a Dremel &, or sandpaper.

Hi,
Yes the 3 spacers are in there.
I’ve done a lot of cleaning with the Dremel, no matter what I do it’s just the 2 vanes that bind…unless I have the torx screw nearest it too loose for my liking…
The turbo is all put back together at the moment , and moves fine, but am not convinced it won’t jam again once it’s all hot and everything’s expanded.
The turbo was removed because of P2034 overboost and I’d just assumed it was down to carbon build-up.
I’m now thinking as well as sooting
up it was these jamming vanes that was an issue…

Nah it was carbon build up & the build up has probably slightly disfigured those vanes when it gets stuck, just sand the edges a little to make them move normally when tightened, I had the same issue & did exactly that & never had an issue.

Thanks, I’ll try it again, have nothing to lose.
I’ve had the turbo apart 3 times now so can strip it in minutes!
If that fails then the new nozzle ring arrives tomorrow, just wish I knew for sure how to get that base ring out!
Cheers

That base ring in your 1st pic, just falls out iirc, just give it a knock on the side with a mallet, probably stuck due to build up.

Reactions: ch1z64
That base ring in your 1st pic, just falls out iirc, just give it a knock on the side with a mallet, probably stuck due to build up.
Thanks!
I hope it does just fall out , everything else had to be prised apart on this turbo!
That’s perhaps why I couldn’t find any info on the net about it!
Cheers

I would use a tap & die on the screws, holes as the screws can snap, I've had one snap before due to being stuck in there for years, managed to drill out & rebore so to speak.

Success!!!
Thank you NHN, it does indeed just pull out!
Didn’t have to apply much force at all, a little hook was invaluable, it would have been almost impossible with a screwdriver!
A gentle twist with the hook was enough to dislodge the base plate and happy days .

Attachments

• 769081E1-0220-4FEC-AEB5-EC701F6F3701.jpeg
    769081E1-0220-4FEC-AEB5-EC701F6F3701.jpeg
    754.2 KB · Views: 57
  • A3A8A6BA-95B5-4894-AEBF-8B0B9BBD317D.jpeg
    A3A8A6BA-95B5-4894-AEBF-8B0B9BBD317D.jpeg
    669.9 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: ch1z64
Success!!!
Thank you NHN, it does indeed just pull out!
Didn’t have to apply much force at all, a little hook was invaluable, it would have been almost impossible with a screwdriver!
A gentle twist with the hook was enough to dislodge the base plate and happy days .
Good to see the old BKD is still rolling

Just an update, fitted the new nozzle ring assembly and fully tightened down the 3 screws nicely.
No binding or jamming at all, despite being a repro part it looked every bit as good as the Genuine item , suppose only time will tell if it is……..

Attachments

• 8C448A13-D179-4C9C-AB74-20ED01884BE7.jpeg
    8C448A13-D179-4C9C-AB74-20ED01884BE7.jpeg
    767.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 681957EF-7DF3-484C-BC6B-A04F5828E04C.jpeg
    681957EF-7DF3-484C-BC6B-A04F5828E04C.jpeg
    595.3 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: NHN
Just an update, fitted the new nozzle ring assembly and fully tightened down the 3 screws nicely.
No binding or jamming at all, despite being a repro part it looked every bit as good as the Genuine item , suppose only time will tell if it is……..
Who was the seller?

Reactions: NHN
NOOOOO!!! .
Mines not healthy as well, turbo wearing out and stronic clutchpack wearing, probably new S3 or A class A35 on the cards.

NOOOOO!!! .
Mines not healthy as well, turbo wearing out and stronic clutchpack wearing, probably new S3 or A class A35 on the cards.
Mine’s officially a goner :cry::cry:.
Being replaced with a Mythos Black 2018 8V 2.0 TDI Black Edition.
I don’t think they’re making them like they used to, as much as I’d have liked an S-tronic worries about future repairs have made me go manual again.
Hope you get yours sorted, I was looking at the A class too but I’m not convinced that they’re any better than Audi for build quality these days…..

Audi are better than Mercedes these days, especially the interiors. I'm just looking for a 4wd hatchback that has a bit of power and can legally tow. Only ones I can think of are The A35 and S3 although I'm not to sure if the new S3's can legally tow in the UK.

Well, the A3 has gone and an A 35 AMG collected today, bit glitzy on the inside but has every option in the A class catalogue, just too much to comprehend. First thing to turn off was the Lane assist, scared me to death when the steering wheel vibrated and tried to turn left on its own.
what finally killed the old BKD?