rear folding seats -project starts again (ish)

swisstony

Reaction score
So I discussed this idea a while back when I was talking about mods/retrofits I would like to do. I gave it up as it seemed to much hassle but I have got the itch once again and now after scouring forums etc, it could be back on the cards but I need your advice and help
So orginally this was done by some guys on the audi Holland forum which I have linked below . To view the thread you do need to register ( which is quick) and then use Google translate. Luckily on my mac and safari it is built in and although the translation is a bit hit and miss I think I get the gist of it .
https://www.audiforum.nl/forum/mode...achterbank-ombouw-airbag-overgebouwd-enz.html

Now I have translated it and then saved the thread as a PDF which is attached . Now a while back it was said the easiest rear folding set ( and fronts ) to swap is the S4 B7 version as less faffing with bolsters etc so I have found a set on ebay. Not cheap but are leather recaro and full set.
Where I am stuck on ( as described in the PDF ) is the parts I need from a dealer or online. Loads of bolts, screws, clips and other fastening/metal things. This is where I need your help guys on how to source them and exactly what I need as I cant seem to understand the parts section.

Obviously I am trying to avoid as much cutting as possible but drilling and tapping I can do if needed as I am fairly handy with that sort of thing.
Any obvious pitfalls to avoid and of course feel free to say I am a numpty for even trying . and yes I should have bought an Avant :)
But interested if it is possible . thanks

Attachments

• Interieur & uitrusting: Elec leren interieur ingebouwd, neerklapbare achterbank ombouw, airbag...pdf
    633.8 KB · Views: 642
If you have a fixed single back rest the you will need all the parts that control the movement and securing of split folding rear seats.

easy to see on this diagram.

It is for the B8 platform but maybe a little of investigation may show these holes.

In this instance, the parts listing has listed it all and the correct parts and quantity for the locking top plate etc.

whether the fixed back version has the mounting holes is another thing though, I would have thought they did but you never know with Audi.
worth having a good look at yours to see exactly whats what and where.

I think before I go any further, the best bet is to investigate the back seat, rear bench and see if these holes exist. If they do then maybe it is a start. If not I shall abandon :) you just read my mind :)

Just something to update you on, you may already know but here goes anyway.

Both the folding rear seat backrest's are the same layout in Avant or Saloon from a fixing point of view, the only difference being with Avants is that the backrest has a mounting bracket for the rear loadspace cover and retractable mesh net.
Also, Avants can have different side bolsters, some have airbags too such as fitted to my old bus, but the seat backrest are the same with regards to fixing and folding mechanisms.
If you have the opportunity to get your hands on a good set of fully working Recaro's, I would be inclined to buy them and work the rest out later, good ones are like hen's teeth theses days, moreso B7 ones as they are the ones to get from a straight retro fit standpoint.

Here you go, these are all you need to fit the rear folding backrests.
Top retainers, you need 2 sets L/R they are both the same
Bottom , also two off .
The middle pivot mount and top latch.

I would suspect your car has the mounting holes which are possibly plugged, a quick snoop under the bench seat will confirm, if they are not there then neither will any of the other mounting holes etc.

SEAT4
SEAT5
SEAT6
SEAT7

Last edited:
You maynot need this part , I think thats part of the folding centre armrest mechanism, i'll double check on my old bus.

parts 57 -66

Hi Rob
Wow so informative and really very helpful. Thank you for all the photos , it gives me something to start with and I think ( once the rain stops ) I will investigate by just taking the rear bench out. If I can see those mounting holes ( blanked or not blanked) then that will be the green light for me to proceed.
If on the other hand the car does not have those mounting holes then I think it would be a non starter. Also that way I am only removing the rear bench without going deep into the back and taking half the car apart.
I shall now reply to your PM
thanks once again

Well on investigation I fear it is a non starter as I took the rear bench out today and after having a decent look around I cant see any holes/blanked that would be where the mechanisms go. All that is shown is just to hold the seat belts.
So it looks like I will just have to shelve this idea ...boo

IMG 1713

IMG 1712

IMG 1711

Look further up behind the yellow arrows chap, the bracket is fitted up near the top so any holes will be almost out of view , that ISO bracket in red is removeable aswell .

I have no need for a child seat so ISO mounts are history in my old bus.

Reactions: tr7
Yes from memory of swapping my interior those bolts for the rear seat backs feel unusally high up and awkward.
Was a pain in the .... to remove

Did you get those bolts that the rear seat backs lock into yet?

I think I have an extra set. Let me know and I'll take a look

Look further up behind the yellow arrows chap, the bracket is fitted up near the top so any holes will be almost out of view , that ISO bracket in red is removeable aswell .View attachment 263089
Ah well you see that is me being a noob, I only removed the bench and didnt go any further. So what you are saying is I need to remove the back seat and look for those holes . If that is the case I will do that when I get the chance

Yes from memory of swapping my interior those bolts for the rear seat backs feel unusally high up and awkward.
Was a pain in the .... to remove

Did you get those bolts that the rear seat backs lock into yet?

View attachment 263093

I think I have an extra set. Let me know and I'll take a look
I have held off ordering any parts yet or indeed the interior until I had investigated the mounting holes and as you saw yesterday I kind of gave up as I couldnt see anything but now realise I was looking in the wrong place ..doh ! So yes please to your offer however dont worry just yet as I need to have the time to take the back off to see if those holes exist.

Ah well you see that is me being a noob, I only removed the bench and didnt go any further. So what you are saying is I need to remove the back seat and look for those holes . If that is the case I will do that when I get the chance
no need to remove the backrest at this stage, it is possible to see but you really need to get down low and look up, it is the same with the child seat bolts , not visible until you either push the seat foam up or crawl under and look up.

no need to remove the backrest at this stage, it is possible to see but you really need to get down low and look up, it is the same with the child seat bolts , not visible until you either push the seat foam up or crawl under and look up.
I will try but given my back issues I may need to either get the missus to do it or send in my daughter...:) That is once she has woken up so maybe around 3pm

• Haha
Reactions: Gmac
keep in mind that the bracket is not mounted in the middle, the seats are split 60/40 i think with the 40 being on the nearside , so you need to look more to the left than in the centre.

Reactions: swisstony
I have had another look but cant see much else so I will remove the back seats . Just wanted to check is this the correct method as seen in this video

I will try but given my back issues I may need to either get the missus to do it or send in my daughter...:) That is once she has woken up so maybe around 3pm
Photo 2023 01 26 185753

Ok, I didn't have a set like a thought I did some how there is just the one.
Apologies, if the set was there with the cups like I thought I'd happily sent them your way

How did you get on with the search for the mounts?

wow never realised I had let this thread go But back with the itch to do this as it happens a set has come up. Not S4 recaros but still an upgrade for me.
Only thing its the old question of how to fit the rear seats again....mmmm
Anyway I may just grab them anyway as they are dirt cheap
these are the photos ...what do people think, worth it for £180 ?
387957002 24814077591516507 5319570099472391047 n

391916058 24363949353218854 3785244550622326970 n

392132341 7398940313468673 7672128592084628672 n

Its been so long ive forgotten too..lol
my fault entirely, i didnt even reply to your message about that bolt you had lol.. my thinking and please correct me if I am wrong, is that the interior from an S4 b7 or this interior I found is the same in terms of the rear bench etc, i.e you will always come against the backing plate on a non folding seat setup. So even if I waited for a set to come up, say from an S4 I would still have the same issue . Therefore I could get this set, change the fronts until and I work out how to do the rears.. ? also I assume the rears seats like this set will technicaly fit without any bolster issues i.e I could just plonk them in . Obviously not doing that long term :)

The seat bench part is the same so will fit ,shapes can differ a bit depending on what variant it was fitted too but otherwise just fits in.
The back rest is the part of the equation that is the stumbling block also avant and saloons can have different side bolster infills some have air bags some dont.

Well as I have held off this long I may as well take a gamble, its a pretty cheap interior so instead of paying big money for an S4 interior, I will try this route and tackle the rear bench/backrest later. Gives me time to source the correct parts I need and also see how I am going to get over the backrest factory plate.
If it all looks like too much effort or wont work I can always revert back to standard and sell this interior. Nothing lost .

Reactions: Gmac
And now Mr bond ve wait , haha.

Last edited:
wow never realised I had let this thread go But back with the itch to do this as it happens a set has come up. Not S4 recaros but still an upgrade for me.
Only thing its the old question of how to fit the rear seats again....mmmm
Anyway I may just grab them anyway as they are dirt cheap
these are the photos ...what do people think, worth it for £180 ?
View attachment 271826

View attachment 271827

View attachment 271828

I have this interior in my own Avant. It's softer nappa leather and much nicer than the standard Special Edition Leather (or optional leather on S-Lines)

I'm big fan of it and it transforms the interior to be completely black too which I love

Is this going into a saloon or avant?

I have this interior in my own Avant. It's softer nappa leather and much nicer than the standard Special Edition Leather (or optional leather on S-Lines)

I'm big fan of it and it transforms the interior to be completely black too which I love

Is this going into a saloon or avant?
going into a saloon with non folding rear seats...yes I am a pauper and got the wrong car as rob likes to point out :) But the plan of action is grab this set and swap the front seats first from two tone to these. Once that is out the way, now I know how to remove the rear backest, I am going to remove that and the bench and do alittle investigation in terms of pins and holes to see if they exist. i.e they are there just not used.
If they do exist then the next question is how much cost, effort will it be to turn a non folding setup into a folding setup using the seats I buy.
If the question is , a lot then that may mean I go option 2 which is remove them and dye/spray paint the existing two tone ones. Yes I dont get the folding option but at least it matches and I will just have to fit a roof bar when I want to transport long stuff.

we shall see

Reactions: Charlie Farley
nice... find those seats, I'v been looking and looking for them as those are the ones that always have the S-line logo embossed hard to find in decent condition... but as i said a 2-tone set won't put me off I'll just dye them lol and make them look new, but they have to be embossed with the S-line logo.

nice... find those seats, I'v been looking and looking for them as those are the ones that always have the S-line logo embossed hard to find in decent condition... but as i said a 2-tone set won't put me off I'll just dye them lol and make them look new, but they have to be embossed with the S-line logo.
mine are... must check on the backs now I think about it

Reactions: Charlie Farley and northpole
yeah but they need to be folding ones lol i got an avant

• Haha
That’s the point
My fronts have s line stamped in them
The rears I am getting are folding
Not sure if rears have s line stamped in them as standard

Reactions: Charlie Farley and northpole
My factory sline seats had the logo embossed but rears were plain if that helps

Reactions: northpole