Timing belt change on A6 (C8)

A6 Avant

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone’s looked into having their A6’s cam belt changed yet?

Thought it would be good to start a thread about this as many C8 owners (like me) will probably be thinking about it as their car approaches 5 years old.

Any advice on pricing and recommendations for places to get it done in the South East would also be appreciated.

Last edited:
May not sway your decision that much but Audi give you free MoTs for life (transferrable) if you have the cam belt changed by them. Would also get the water pump done at the same time

Interesting update on this - I've spoken to a dealership today and they told me that Audi have updated the recommended intervals for cambelt changes so it's now based on mileage only (every 140k miles) and they've entirely removed the 5 year recommendation.

This makes sense as I remember reading that in Europe this has always been the recommendation (140k and no age limit) and I've had mine checked and it's apparently in perfectly good condition so doesn't need changing. Has anyone else heard about this change to the recommendations?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rab.
Interesting update on this - I've spoken to a dealership today and they told me that Audi have updated the recommended intervals for cambelt changes so it's now based on mileage only (every 140k miles) and they've entirely removed the 5 year recommendation.

This makes sense as I remember reading that in Europe this has always been the recommendation (140k and no age limit) and I've had mine checked and it's apparently in perfectly good condition so doesn't need changing. Has anyone else heard about this change to the recommendations?
I'd be very weary around this. VW group (including Audi) are notorious for changing their minds about service intervals and some of which I believe from experience working in the trade is more likely to do with intentional part/model obsolescence.

I'd be very weary around this. VW group (including Audi) are notorious for changing their minds about service intervals and some of which I believe from experience working in the trade is more likely to do with intentional part/model obsolescence.
I get what you mean - Audi UK aren't going to have made this change out of the goodness of their hearts. But I wonder if it was a job that simply doesn't need doing at this interval and was perhaps just being recommended to make money for dealerships (given that Germany and most of Europe have always had the 140k miles guidance only with no age recommendation). My theory is they've changed the recommendation as it's become a much less profitable job (with dealerships facing staff shortages and rising costs) - it frees them up to do more oil changes where they can charge £200 for ten minutes work.

if you check "additional work for your Audi" in the my Audi app or desktop, it does say that now is at 140.000 miles
Additional Work Audi A6

How this interval for cam belt can be good is beyond me. So if someone only doing 10k miles a year then he will replace the cambelt for the first time when the car is 14 yrs old ? on diesel engine with start stop system ? good luck

How this interval for cam belt can be good is beyond me. So if someone only doing 10k miles a year then he will replace the cambelt for the first time when the car is 14 yrs old ? on diesel engine with start stop system ? good luck
I agree leaving it 14 years would probably not be a good idea but it also seems unnecessary to do it every 5 years when the recommendation from Audi has always only been 140k miles for Germany and the rest of Europe (and they've now updated the recommendation here to match). Personally I always turn start/stop off.