LED or Xenon headlights?

Nessy

VW + Audi mad
Reaction score
Apologies if this sounds like a really dumb question, but are the headlights of a 2018 model A3 Black Edition ( UK car) definitely LED?
( Don’t mean DRLs am referring to the main/dipped beam
aspects)
I didn’t think that cars with full LED headlights need headlamp washers so the fact that the A3 has them leads me to think that the main headlight part is xenon….or have I got it totally wrong?
Thanks!

They're standard LED headlamps for dipped/main beam
Thanks for confirming.
Any idea why the headlight washers are fitted?
My mum had a 2016 C Class with LED headlights and that had no headlamp washers…..
Do I also take it then that my
mums 2018 A1 S-line (with headlamp washers) which for the last 5 years I had assumed were xenon are LED too?

Not sure on the headlamp washers and I wouldn't use them as an indication of the car having Xenon or LED, at least not on an Audi.

The best way to confirm is to check the PR codes. There is a website where you can put them all in and it tells you what the car has.

Google tells me that cars with headlamps which output more than 2000 lumens need headlamp washers by law which would explain why the C Class doesn't have them

Thanks!
I think the A1 has xenons…
Hadn’t realised that headlight washers were Lumens-dependent.
Had assumed that washers always equalled xenon , now I know better…
Cheers

Have you actually seen them working? I have headlamp washer covers but no actual headlamp washers.

I have the LED headlights too on an A3 sline 2016.

Have you actually seen them working? I have headlamp washer covers but no actual headlamp washers.

Interesting you say this as i've seen them work on my 2017 S3 but my Dads 2018 Q2, he has the covers but never seen them work

Yes have seen the A1 washers in action, haven’t yet seen the A3 washers as I haven’t viewed the car yet, LOL.
Based on your experience I’ll be trying out the washers when I test drive it, cheers!

The S3 does have the headlight washers but the same LED headlights, probably just a not-required gimmick. Audi would have been better equipping all S3's with something else like folding mirrors. :p

Thanks!
I think the A1 has xenons…
Hadn’t realised that headlight washers were Lumens-dependent.
Had assumed that washers always equalled xenon , now I know better…
Cheers
If it's above a certain lumens, then it has to have headlight washers. When that rule was first around, LED lights didn't exist and everything xenon was above that brightness. Since then, there are plenty of LEDs and a few xenons which don't need washers.

But headlight washers being there doesn't mean anything at all about the lights. My dad had optional factory headlight washers 1979 Ford Cortina and a 1982 Mercedes. Both had 60/55W halogen H4 bulbs.

Reactions: Nessy
I have A3 8VA Sportback 2019 with LED headlights. Code: PX2 LED headlight (no washers).
Headlight washing system is available only as an option for Xenon and LED headlights.
With Matrix headlights its included.
As I received additional info from Audi, there are three types of headlights in the A3 8VA facelift:

*Xenon headlights:
Low beam (gas discharge lamp D5s HID) 25 watts
All-weather light (h8) 35 watts

*LED headlights:
Low beam (11 LEDs) 20 watts
All-weather light (3 LEDs) 10 watts

*Matrix LED headlights:
All-weather light (dimmed cornering light and low beam)

I have A3 8VA Sportback 2019 with LED headlights. Code: PX2 LED headlight (no washers).
Headlight washing system is available only as an option for Xenon and LED headlights.
With Matrix headlights its included.
As I received additional info from Audi, there are three types of headlights in the A3 8VA facelift:

*Xenon headlights:
Low beam (gas discharge lamp D5s HID) 25 watts
All-weather light (h8) 35 watts

*LED headlights:
All-weather light (3 LEDs) 10 watts

*Matrix LED headlights:
All-weather light (dimmed cornering light and low beam)
Thanks.
I’ve now got the print out from Audi of my potential purchase and it’s got :
PX2 LED headlights
under this banner seemingly
8IT LED headlamps
8Q3 Automatic headlight adjustment
8WM Cornering and poor weather light
Can’t really find a much info about these last 3 items, are they just standard features of the LED headlights?
The old Audi brochures (eg 2013) were really informative listing all the codes and descriptions etc, the 2018 brochure I’ve just bought looks fantastic but tells you hardly anything!

Thanks.
I’ve now got the print out from Audi of my potential purchase and it’s got :
PX2 LED headlights
under this banner seemingly
8IT LED headlamps
8Q3 Automatic headlight adjustment
8WM Cornering and poor weather light
Can’t really find a much info about these last 3 items, are they just standard features of the LED headlights?
The old Audi brochures (eg 2013) were really informative listing all the codes and descriptions etc, the 2018 brochure I’ve just bought looks fantastic but tells you hardly anything!
These are my A3 codes:
8IT LED main headlight
8SP SBBR light in LED technology
PX2 LED headlight
8WM cornering light and all-weather light
3PB driver's seat electrically adjustable
9AK deluxe automatic air conditioning
6E3 comfort center armrest in front
WD5 comfort package
QQ4 light package

8IT LED main headlight = low beam LED headlight. Xenon headlights also have LED but just running lights, low beam is Xenon, though this is LED.
8Q3 Automatic headlight adjustment = Automatic headlight-range adjustment dynamic (self-adjusting while driving). Its only for auto-leveling headlight range in front. It doesnt include corneringlight "bending".
8WM Cornering and poor weather light = this is turned on by pressing the switches left to your main light control switch. When you turn on poor weather light switch - it lights the additional area to left/right of the car.

These are my A3 codes:
8IT LED main headlight
8SP SBBR light in LED technology
PX2 LED headlight
8WM cornering light and all-weather light
3PB driver's seat electrically adjustable
9AK deluxe automatic air conditioning
6E3 comfort center armrest in front
WD5 comfort package
QQ4 light package

8IT LED main headlight = low beam LED headlight. Xenon headlights also have LED but just running lights, low beam is Xenon, though this is LED.
8Q3 Automatic headlight adjustment = Automatic headlight-range adjustment dynamic (self-adjusting while driving). Its only for auto-leveling headlight range in front. It doesnt include corneringlight "bending".
8WM Cornering and poor weather light = this is turned on by pressing the switches left to your main light control switch. When you turn on poor weather light switch - it lights the additional area to left/right of the car.
Thanks , it all makes a bit more sense now……

The 2018 2.0 TDI Black Edition that I test drove yesterday didn’t appear to have working headlight washers.
The salesman said the washer apertures in the front bumper were just dummy covers, I tried the windscreen washers a few times (with headlights on) and the headlights didn’t become wet.

Not sure on my s3 but on a previous tts the headlight washers only came out every 5th press

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk