Dealership taking my S3 for a spin

RDSCO3

Reaction score
My S3 has been in for the past week having some warranty work done on the sunroof. It’s not having a service, maintenance or any other work apart from the sunroof, but I have noticed from myAudi app that the car has had 13 miles put on it since I dropped it off.

The body shop where the work is being done, is 1 mile from the dealership where I dropped it off and I’m due to pick it up tomorrow.

I’m not necessarily worried about the miles being added, but more so about the manner in which they were added. I’m very particular with my car, never pushing on until the oil is fully warmed up, it was fully run in etc. I don’t see any reason why 10 odd miles have been added other than for a blast.

My range has dramatically decreased (by about 30mi) since dropping it off, leading me to think it’s been driven hard.

Am I overthinking / being paranoid about this or should I say something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t have thought a sunroof getting fitted that a test drive would be required. I would be asking why your car was being driven at all.

Reactions: Pinky1959
I had my sunroof frame changed in my 8v in 2016, they take it for atest drive to ensure there is no creaking, flexing and then come back and usually wet it to ensure the new seals have cured and there are no leaks, or they could have just gone down the road for a curry and a pint.

Reactions: vatdim
I had my sunroof frame changed in my 8v in 2016, they take it for atest drive to ensure there is no creaking, flexing and then come back and usually wet it to ensure the new seals have cured and there are no leaks, or they could have just gone down the road for a curry and a pint.

It was the sunroof frame being changed so it does make sense that they would take it for a test drive to check for noise - I hadn’t thought about that. Thanks for sharing

giphy.gif

Reactions: vatdim
range can decrease due to a number of factors, stop/start the engine, idling, ignition on, etc etc.

When I had my windsheld replaced on a different car the guy said he would have to take it for a short drive, at different speeds (guessing he meant faster speeds on the nearby 50mph roads nearby) to check if everything was sealed correctly and nothing was leaking. Plus anyway, even if they are just parking or slowly moving the car in the usually congested and tight spaced areas, MPG can easily dive.

I would be asking why it has had 13 miles added and if they had to road test it then a trip round the block would have been sufficient.
IMO it should not have had any more miles than being delivered and collected from the dealer.
Would be interesting to find out what excuse they use.

13 miles is not excessive for a test drive. It’s about 30-40 mins driving on different roads. I think people are looking too much into this. How it’s been driven may be a different question.
If my car had been in for the work and returned either leaking or squeaking because it was not test driven to make sure the work carried out was satisfactory, then I would be more miffed about that than the miles.

Reactions: Southall87, vatdim, Sparks43 and 1 other person