what dump valve?

edward_harris

s3 gone now a shiney red evo 6
Reaction score
hey guys i no there has been loads of threads about this but I'm looking for a dv that will make some noise. chav i no! but nothing to loud. But because of my cars state of tune can anyone suggest something? But i dont want to lose any performance!
Thanks!

i was considering one of these, as if i get annoyed with the sound i can just blank off the noisy bit, and remain stealth.

Ed come on don't do it!

Old Dave B is running a Forge DV and he putting so much power through it, it makes a right chavy noise! Don't you already have a uprated DV already attached since a standard bosch unit won't handle the what your running!

Have a look under the bonnet top right side of engine! Forge do a adjustable atmospheric DV I think some one on here bought one and now wants to sell it..Oh it was Dannotto or something! He is based in Reading!

Isn't yours loud enough already?

I'm running 100Bhp less than you and with the Forge TIP, and Forge 007p and a LOT smaller turbo hence less air, mine is like woooooooooooooooooooshhh and then pssssssssssccccccchhhhhht.

I sound like a right chav.

have u tried a cold side relocation kit from forge , meant to give a bit more noise for the re circ

Got a Bailey dump valve you can buy from me (cheap) if that's the way you want to go.

I took it off mine as it was too loud. I want my TQS to be a bit of a 'sleeper'

Jas

Keep with the stock one you have Ed!

Too many horror stories on sticking piston valves for me. You are only running 1.5 bar, the stock valve will take it and at least if it does fail you will know and it will be a "safe" fail.

My brand new piston valve was sticking at 85 degrees and nearly goosed my new BT conversion.........I am sure you dont want to knacker your £8k investement! Stick with what APS fitted, if you change it and it causes an issue, you wont have a warranty.
I think you will have a stock dv bosch valve, but i did note a much larger bosch valve at APS once, which looked like and evo 8 one, so maybe they fitted that to yours...?
Beware changing your dv. A guy in seat cupra did it and the forge valve he fitted had a problem and blew his IHI turbo bearing cartiridge.....no warranty big bill!

i had a forge dv007p and had no probs,if you want noise fit a induction kit,i use a hks spf mushroom with a 3" inlet.a blow to atmos dv is always going to be a problem without a map sensored based car.

the bosch valves are usually fine after a re map , doug at mrc puts the stock s3 valves on the s4 , he re maps as he says they are strong old valves , i had a split r valve a couple of times , makes a loud noise but always found i lost a little bit of boost through them

simch said:
Keep with the stock one you have Ed!

My brand new piston valve was sticking at 85 degrees and nearly goosed my new BT conversion.........

A guy in seat cupra did it and the forge valve he fitted had a problem and blew his IHI turbo bearing cartiridge.....no warranty big bill!

im not disputing it for a second simch, but can you explain how a sticking piston kills a turbo? ive heard it mentioned before, and im not sure how it happens.

does it stick open or shut? i assume its through the piston expanding due to mega heat?

if it sticks shut, then surely you will just get compressor stall? which although bad for a small turbo, isnt going to kill a big IHI all that fast is it? ive known people running no dv or BOV on some BT cars (non vag) and claim that the compressor stall isnt a problem as the turbo is so big and can take it.

if it sticks open, then surely you just get no boost? or is this the problem? that theres no boost yet the turbo will be spinning out of control anxd no pressure to open the wastegate and save it>?

having heard so many stories about the bosch valves splitting, even on standard cars (i know mine was fecked!) would it not make more sense to run a DV cold side relocation kit? im about to fit one to my A3 when i fit my ko3s. my charge pipe at the back of the bay gets far too hot to touch at all, and so does my forge DV.

with a decent FMIC and a cold side kit, the dv should never get anything more than luke warm at all.

glen said it certainly helped him with sticking DV's after relocating to the cold side.

On that subject, since fitting my FMIC, my charge pipes and DV have NEVER got hot enough so that you cant easily touch them.

On the standard SMIC they regularly got too hot to touch, like after 10 minutes average driving even.

I can't see how they could get too hot to touch after fitting a BT install as you should have a decent FMIC.

So, we would then only be considering airflow, and as said, the stock valves split easily, or least almost everyone has had their stock system split the diaphram.

Surely the Forge would be a more reliable alternative?

Prawn said:
im not disputing it for a second simch, but can you explain how a sticking piston kills a turbo? ive heard it mentioned before, and im not sure how it happens.

does it stick open or shut? i assume its through the piston expanding due to mega heat?

if it sticks shut, then surely you will just get compressor stall? which although bad for a small turbo, isnt going to kill a big IHI all that fast is it? ive known people running no dv or BOV on some BT cars (non vag) and claim that the compressor stall isnt a problem as the turbo is so big and can take it.

if it sticks open, then surely you just get no boost? or is this the problem? that theres no boost yet the turbo will be spinning out of control anxd no pressure to open the wastegate and save it>?

having heard so many stories about the bosch valves splitting, even on standard cars (i know mine was fecked!) would it not make more sense to run a DV cold side relocation kit? im about to fit one to my A3 when i fit my ko3s. my charge pipe at the back of the bay gets far too hot to touch at all, and so does my forge DV.

with a decent FMIC and a cold side kit, the dv should never get anything more than luke warm at all.

glen said it certainly helped him with sticking DV's after relocating to the cold side.

A sticking piston one can stick open or closed or halfway! thats the problem. The DV diverts to boost when you are foof throttle, if it sticks shut it can blow the compressor wheel, if it sticks half way you lose boost and then the ecu tries to compensate by working the turbo harder etc, chasing the requested boost. Can lead to all sorts of grief.....i speak form personal experiecne!

at least when the original one splits, you know it and its safe!

A few of you guys talk about putting an induction on but i dont want the roar you get from a induction, i just want the dump valve noise! Is there no real d/v that can do this for my car?!

Dave_Bayern said:

I can't see how they could get too hot to touch after fitting a BT install as you should have a decent FMIC.

Surely the Forge would be a more reliable alternative?

Of course there is the small matter of a ruddy great big turbo sitting about 6 inches away running 1.5bar boost!!! Plus its flowing lots more than the K04, so what it compresses to 1.5bar is a far higher volume than the smaller turbo, hence far more heat.
The one that caused problems for me was found to be sticking at 85degrees c, was fine at 84.......!! Not exactly super hot in the scale of things.

Many BT conversions are going back to stock valves or at least diaphram bosch valves, because fo the issues caused by potentially faulty aftermarket piston valves.

Fit a bigger turbo with external wastegate and screamer pipe that will be loud.
forget the vta dump valves mate they will kill your engine.Fit a decent induction kit it raises the noise of the dumpvalve.

Ryanc said:
Fit a bigger turbo with external wastegate and screamer pipe that will be loud.
forget the vta dump valves mate they will kill your engine.Fit a decent induction kit it raises the noise of the dumpvalve.

I spoke to Aps and they said the only one they would recommend would be the BMC inductions, whats your view on these? How much louder does it make the d/v? and does it give a big roar everytime your on the power, because i dont want that!? Any power gains from these?

BMC's rock. You won't really get an induction noise, but the overall noise of the engine definately improves - as well as the DV making a lot more noise.

And no, no improvement on BHP.

Thanks for the replys everyone, still not sure what to do! So desperate for one especially when i saw all the evos etc going round silver stone on sunday!

ChriS3 said:
BMC's rock. You won't really get an induction noise, but the overall noise of the engine definately improves - as well as the DV making a lot more noise.

Thanks chris, does anyone know where to get one from for a good price? Also need to make sure it's the correct one for the car. Any links anyone? do you need any extra parts?

ID RECOMEND A BAILEYS DUMPVALVE IVE HAD TWO IN VARIOUS CARS AND THEY SOUND GREAT. IF YOU WANT IT TO SOUND LOUDER ID RECOMEND A POWERTEC SL1000 METAL MESH INDUCTION KIT. THEYVE ONLY JUST RELEASED THIS AFTER RESEARCHING AND DEVELOPING IT AND I BOPUGHT ONE AND FITTED IT. IT COMES WITH A SPUN ALUMINIUM HEAD ATTACHED AND ALSO A HEAT SHIELD THAT REALLY COMPLIMENTS THE ENGINE BAY. BUT THE BEST THING IS THE NOISE IT SOUNDS LIKE A HOOVER SUCKING IN!!! COUPLE THAT WITH A DUMP VALVE AND YOU CANT GO WRONG

Yea i know but speaking to Aps they still say to me the standard filter is the best for my car! Am i going to lose any power going with the BMC?

Ed, read what people are telling you!!! lol. You won't lose power with the BMC, but you won't gain any either. You won't get much of an induction noise, but you will get the DV pttiiisshhh.

Loads of places sell bmc,personally i'd go with a 3" mushroom or the powertec is not bad but you will get that sucking noise on boost.Perhaps get a few bhp at the top end with a decent induction kit.

hey this is my first post so hey first off! i bought a forge splitter valve for my s3 on friday and fitted saturday lunch time. its a quality valve as it gives the woosh but not the run of the mill rs turbo noise! its not over the top loud at all. im running standard boost at the mo but hopeing to have a remap in october/ november. its probably going to make a bit more noise once its mapped but for now its about right.

if interested i may still have my bov recirc for sale £65 depends on whether s3 saf still wants it