Does the service pack save you anything at all?

monkeyhanger

Reaction score
Will be getting an S3 in a few weeks -it's bult and in Emden, waiting for a ship. I've repelled most of the dealership's efforts to buy their overpriced add-ons (Poorly applied ceramic coat, wheel insurance, gap insurance, minor damage insurance - you name it) I wanted the 5 year warranty. Looking to keep the car 5 years, or if less, the 5 year warranty will help with second hand values when I sell it on (I will own this outright).

The official VWFS service plan though does not look like good value for money IMO. 1 minor service (5.7L of oil, new sump plug, and a few basic checks), Major service as per minor service, plus a pollen filter and comprehensive checks. Looks about 3 hours labour all in about £100 of oil, a £15 pollen filter and 2 x £6 sump plugs. The service pack is pennies under £540. To me that seems like current retail, no saving to be had. I've had service packs on my VWs before and there's been a very noticeable saving in the packs. I've also had 4 year service packs from Audi coming in at about the same price as this 2 year service pack is.

Anyone know what current walk in prices for both services are vs the £540 pack?

Audi service charges are not cheap, I’ve just had my wife’s A1 done and the cost of one inspection service wasn’t much less than taking out a 2 year service plan.
You can always check the service prices in the owners area of the Audi website

Audi service charges are not cheap, I’ve just had my wife’s A1 done and the cost of one inspection service wasn’t much less than taking out a 2 year service plan.
You can always check the service prices in the owners area of the Audi website
I wouldn't want to pay any more than the service pack for the 2 services. My mate has a MK8 Golf R, and he just paid £189 for his first service, walk in. Can't imagine a major service being more than £300 on those terms.

Pretty much the same car mechanically, using the same oil - are Audi labour rates incredibly more than than VW's?

I wouldn't want to pay any more than the service pack for the 2 services. My mate has a MK8 Golf R, and he just paid £189 for his first service, walk in. Can't imagine a major service being more than £300 on those terms.

Pretty much the same car mechanically, using the same oil - are Audi labour rates incredibly more than than VW's?
Yes, first service they wanted to charge me £350+ it was £300 labour.

Think second service is even more expensive, absolutely worth it imo,

Yes, first service they wanted to charge me £350+ it was £300 labour.

Think second service is even more expensive, absolutely worth it imo,

Wow! First 2 services with this pack then off to the local Audi Indie after that then. I suppose Audi is a funny brand in that it broaches a huge range of price with its car range - does someone with a bottom end A1 pay the same labour rate as someone in an R8? Seemingly so.

I think they are the same Labour rate it just takes 3 times as long to do anything on an R8

I had the service plan when they were doing a 25% off discount and it was definitely cheaper than walk in services

Found out the other day that it's more expensive to service an Etron than the equivalent Petrol/Diesel despite no Oil and Filter required and the motors have coolant canisters which need checking and topping up and that's not included in the service cost

They always say that electric cars are cheaper to service!!

I think they are the same Labour rate it just takes 3 times as long to do anything on an R8

I had the service plan when they were doing a 25% off discount and it was definitely cheaper than walk in services

Found out the other day that it's more expensive to service an Etron than the equivalent Petrol/Diesel despite no Oil and Filter required and the motors have coolant canisters which need checking and topping up and that's not included in the service cost

They always say that electric cars are cheaper to service!!

There's no ****** engine it should be cheaper! whether that works out in practice though is another thing, they should also be cheaper to manufacture but so far electric cars cost a fkin fortune.

There's no ****** engine it should be cheaper! whether that works out in practice though is another thing, they should also be cheaper to manufacture but so far electric cars cost a fkin fortune.
It should be cheaper, but pretty much isn't because tge dealerships want to protect their servicing revenue stream. We have a Cupra Born (in fact, we have 2, one is going for an S3), and the level of work required is about 20 mins of visual checks on battery and motor and replacing a pollen filter, which is as easy as changing a tape in a VHS player. Cost? £229.

Reactions: Moots
I've just purchased an all in plan that consists of two services (one oil, one oil and inspection, pollen filter) two MOTs, 2 years roadside assistance and two years warranty. The price for this was far better than paying for it all individually, so I'm sure the cheaper plan would be the same. I went through everything on the phone this afternoon with them, breaking it all down and will be paying for it monthly which softens the blow. I'm sure if you gave your local service centre a ring they would go through everything once they have the reg and the mileage in order to give you an individualised quote.

For me, I was quoted £310 for the first service and £510 for the second service.
At the time, Audi had an offer running on the service plan for £410 to cover both of the above - I took it and bought one for my daughter and girlfriend..
Personally I think the cost of Audi main dealer servicing is rather high..

Reactions: AdamInKent and monkeyhanger
The £539/ 2 service pack seems to be incredibly poor value. Guess what the cost is for a new Golf (including the Golf R, which is pretty much the same car as the S3, but with an extra 10ps and more haldex diff trickery to allow a drift mode)?

£269, yes, £269 for a major and a minor service with the same scope of works. The £539 pack pretty much costs the same as a major and minor service that Audi quote for 3+ year old cars. The service pack savings therefore look to be tiny.

Reactions: AdamInKent
The £539/ 2 service pack seems to be incredibly poor value. Guess what the cost is for a new Golf (including the Golf R, which is pretty much the same car as the S3, but with an extra 10ps and more haldex diff trickery to allow a drift mode)?

£269, yes, £269 for a major and a minor service with the same scope of works. The £539 pack pretty much costs the same as a major and minor service that Audi quote for 3+ year old cars. The service pack savings therefore look to be tiny.
I took it out, but I saw it more as a pay as you go, spreading the cost, rather than a way to a saving, I guess the dealer still has its charges, if the plan gives you a significant discount, who would fund it? They would probably only put the cost on top of the car, so you end up paying anyway.
Can't offer any suggestion for justification of such a significant price difference between Audi and VW though!

I took it out, but I saw it more as a pay as you go, spreading the cost, rather than a way to a saving, I guess the dealer still has its charges, if the plan gives you a significant discount, who would fund it? They would probably only put the cost on top of the car, so you end up paying anyway.
Can't offer any suggestion for justification of such a significant price difference between Audi and VW though!
I've taken out these service packs previously, mainly VWs, but I also remember my wife's 2015 A1 1.6 TDI coming with a 4 year service pack (2 minor and 2 major services) for £475.

One of the salesmen I always used to get my VW hot hatches from at Pulman explained that the savings for these service packs paid for via VWFS is tgat VWFS used to pay the dealership labour rates in line with the same rates they are reimbursed for when they do warranty work, which I believe currently runs at about £60ph at the VW dealerships, with a retail (out of warranty repair) hourly rate at about £140ph. Given that the oil change is only about 30 mins labour and about £95 of oil (5.7L on an S3, Golf R/GTI, at about £14 per L), filter and sump plug at retail costing, and you can add 30 mins of visual checks and a £17 pollen filter to the major service in addition to the oil/filter/sump plug, you've got about £332 in labour for 90 mins. £220 per hour labour seems absolute robbery.

Will be getting an S3 in a few weeks -it's bult and in Emden, waiting for a ship. I've repelled most of the dealership's efforts to buy their overpriced add-ons (Poorly applied ceramic coat, wheel insurance, gap insurance, minor damage insurance - you name it) I wanted the 5 year warranty. Looking to keep the car 5 years, or if less, the 5 year warranty will help with second hand values when I sell it on (I will own this outright).

The official VWFS service plan though does not look like good value for money IMO. 1 minor service (5.7L of oil, new sump plug, and a few basic checks), Major service as per minor service, plus a pollen filter and comprehensive checks. Looks about 3 hours labour all in about £100 of oil, a £15 pollen filter and 2 x £6 sump plugs. The service pack is pennies under £540. To me that seems like current retail, no saving to be had. I've had service packs on my VWs before and there's been a very noticeable saving in the packs. I've also had 4 year service packs from Audi coming in at about the same price as this 2 year service pack is.

Anyone know what current walk in prices for both services are vs the £540 pack?
Try to find an independent with an Audi licence.
electronic service book fully updated.
Cost me £186 for full service.

Reactions: monkeyhanger
Anyone here has done their first service for a leased car after close to 24 months? Believe it's close to £450 ish?

Anyone here has done their first service for a leased car after close to 24 months? Believe it's close to £450 ish?
Sounds like you went the long life route - that's the equivalent of a full service you need to get done.

My A6 black edition was 3 years old last month and i decided to going for Audi's All in service Package at £719 because of the warranty for two years

Sounds like you went the long life route - that's the equivalent of a full service you need to get done.
Well I originally booked the first service (was £249), then I told them a week before it was a leased car, so they said better to double check which it's set to. Called them, said it was set to 24 months. I intend to keep car for 34-35 months, so either I need to service it 2 maybe 3 times, which as far as I know would be £249 plus another service which was more expensive at 24 months. Or service once at 24/25 months and return the car just prior to the service ping.

My A6 black edition was 3 years old last month and i decided to going for Audi's All in service Package at £719 because of the warranty for two years
I wasn't aware of the all-in package and just had to look it up, seems a far better deal than the service pack on its own. For £180 more than the service cost, you're getting 2 years roadside assistance and 2 MOTs, as well as the warranty.

I was about to buy the factory warranty extension to 5 years for £639 with the new S3, but now I'm not so sure I shouldn't hang on and just go with this at 3 years old. Looking at the warranty terms on the all in deal, it certainly isn't as comprehensive as a factory warranty would be - it looks like something actually has to fail before it is fixed or replaced, rather than be "not right" or on its way out, and there's a £5k limit per claim. I'd hope that'd cover a new mechatronics unit on the DSG box or some moderate engine trouble.

It's certainly got me thinking about whether I want to do the factory extension or not.

I had a look for the service pack for my car 30TFSI MHEV. Eg...2 services no MOTs inc. It comes to £671? £540 for an S3 seems good value. Seeing that my first standalone service (long life) is £470, that makes the subsequent service at £201, which is cheaper by about £50.

I had a look for the service pack for my car 30TFSI MHEV. Eg...2 services no MOTs inc. It comes to £671? £540 for an S3 seems good value. Seeing that my first standalone service (long life) is £470, that makes the subsequent service at £201, which is cheaper by about £50.
I've got a minor then a Major coming my way on my pack over 2 years. You might possibly have 2 long life's over 3 - 4 years? If so, that's like 2 Majors for me, so I could see why it cost more.

My main gripe is that the VW service plan for the Golf is £279, including the R (which is basically a better equipped as standard S3 with cloth seats) - the R is marginally more complicated with its drift mode Haldex diffs on the back wheels.

My main gripe is that the VW service plan for the Golf is £279, including the R (which is basically a better equipped as standard S3 with cloth seats) - the R is marginally more complicated with its drift mode Haldex diffs on the back wheels.
Having switched to Audi from a Golf: and having been happy with my local VW dealer, I have been wondering whether they can service my Audi? Does anyone know if a VW garage can access the online service records?

Having switched to Audi from a Golf: and having been happy with my local VW dealer, I have been wondering whether they can service my Audi? Does anyone know if a VW garage can access the online service records?
They will be able to do it,but you won't be able to buy a £279 service pack for the Audi from VWFS. You'll pay standard labour rates which will be barely less than the Audi standard labour rates.

Reactions: AdamInKent
We are paying £16 a month for the RSQ3 for 3 years afaik which is £576 all in.

TX.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Just saw this:
Guess the older the car (3 yrs or more) the cheaper the service plan becomes?