Xtrons or Teyes

Paul Keenan

Reaction score
Hi guys don't post on here very much but have been trying to do some research regarding android headunit for my 2010 s3 currently got audi nav plus system

So I've been looking at both xtrons and teyes, I've seen some users on her have been fitting xtrons, now does anyone have any experience with the teyes headunit it seems to be a better looking layout over the xtrons, any feedback would be greatly appreciated please see links below of both headunits

I’m looking at the same units as you, there’s a YouTube user called Saab Unleashed, who has quite a few videos on the android head units including the new teyes cc3 4k unit, which he raves about.

Reactions: TheMightyBK
I’m looking at the same units as you, there’s a YouTube user called Saab Unleashed, who has quite a few videos on the android head units including the new teyes cc3 4k unit, which he raves about.
Yeah I watched his video the other day and was trying to do a bit of searching on it for the 8p platform but can't find anyone who's fitted one, there is a video on YouTube of the fitment into a 8p but the whole unit actually sticks out from the centre console which I didn't want, whereas the xtron unit is flush, there just doesn't seem to be a lot of information with the teyes on the a3/s3 8p

Yeah I watched his video the other day and was trying to do a bit of searching on it for the 8p platform but can't find anyone who's fitted one, there is a video on YouTube of the fitment into a 8p but the whole unit actually sticks out from the centre console which I didn't want, whereas the xtron unit is flush, there just doesn't seem to be a lot of information with the teyes on the a3/s3 8p
The xtrons unit does look a lot better being flush, my other option is a branded non android unit, as I will be connecting and using an iPhone with it, so only really need CarPlay.

The xtrons unit does look a lot better being flush, my other option is a branded non android unit, as I will be connecting and using an iPhone with it, so only really need CarPlay.
I like the idea of the android headunit for all the different app features and they look so slick and upto date, I'll keep digging before I know what one to go with

I have an xtrons unit and it's been great, slightly older model but it's got 4gb ram/8core, I got one with physical buttons as I find all touch screen devices are a pain to use on the move, also looks more oem.

That teyes unit looks like it only has 3gb ram vs 6 in the xtrons, the more ram the better, it also has 128gb storage vs 32gb, so more space for storage/apps.

Android head unit is great, running Spotify tethered to my phone and using wyze with the built in GPS. I did have to buy the adapter kit to work properly with my bose setup so bear that in mind as well.

Attachments

• PXL_20221205_131200304.jpg
    PXL_20221205_131200304.jpg
    986.5 KB · Views: 118
I have an xtrons unit and it's been great, slightly older model but it's got 4gb ram/8core, I got one with physical buttons as I find all touch screen devices are a pain to use on the move, also looks more oem.

That teyes unit looks like it only has 3gb ram vs 6 in the xtrons, the more ram the better, it also has 128gb storage vs 32gb, so more space for storage/apps.

Android head unit is great, running Spotify tethered to my phone and using wyze with the built in GPS. I did have to buy the adapter kit to work properly with my bose setup so bear that in mind as well.
The teyes headunit has a range of different ram and storage available the one in the previous link is the lowest model, highest is 6/128, sabb Unleashed on YouTube has done a review and both units (teyes fitted to a jeep) and he reckons by far the fastest most all round headunit on the market.
I've seen most people use wyze for the GPS, still undecided with what to do

I am having the same dilemma at the moment also.. Teyes vs Xtrons.
Does the Teyes allow steering wheel controls to still work?

The teyes headunit has a range of different ram and storage available the one in the previous link is the lowest model, highest is 6/128, sabb Unleashed on YouTube has done a review and both units (teyes fitted to a jeep) and he reckons by far the fastest most all round headunit on the market.
I've seen most people use wyze for the GPS, still undecided with what to do
Ah yea sorry I see now, late night.

I am having the same dilemma at the moment also.. Teyes vs Xtrons.
Does the Teyes allow steering wheel controls to still work?

Check that video of the teyes one, he says the 3GB is more than capable and quick enough also the steering wheel functions still work through the canbus box

Reactions: djaniero

Check that video of the teyes one, he says the 3GB is more than capable and quick enough also the steering wheel functions still work through the canbus box

Thanks Paul. He seems to rate them highly. I just wish it sat flush like the Xtrons, but I guess I could get used to it.

I would say a majority of these units are rebranded AliExpress units.
fitted one to my project mini a while ago with a 10in screen for about £150, 2gb ram with 32gb storage. Fairly responsive and quick. Size was just right so didn’t cover the dials, vents or air con controls and works really well with wireless CarPlay and auto.
mainly run CarPlay and torque pro app so I can setup dials to show me details of sensors and it’s quick and slick at doing that. Tried other obd apps and they all work fine.
key thing is the converter wiring looms must have the canbus box for steering controls. Other things to consider is some of these units need another box for things like dab and cellular connection. Needs extra aerials too.

I would say a majority of these units are rebranded AliExpress units.
fitted one to my project mini a while ago with a 10in screen for about £150, 2gb ram with 32gb storage. Fairly responsive and quick. Size was just right so didn’t cover the dials, vents or air con controls and works really well with wireless CarPlay and auto.
mainly run CarPlay and torque pro app so I can setup dials to show me details of sensors and it’s quick and slick at doing that. Tried other obd apps and they all work fine.
key thing is the converter wiring looms must have the canbus box for steering controls. Other things to consider is some of these units need another box for things like dab and cellular connection. Needs extra aerials too.
Yeah after looking into various different units I've realised I may need the antenna adaptor most units come with the canbus box and if the car has bose sound system then there is an other adaptor needed as static noise can be heard through the sound, the pictures on teyes website shows the unit sitting flush but there is one video on YouTube and it's sitting slightly out a bit more, the extrinsic unit sits nice like OEM

Yeah after looking into various different units I've realised I may need the antenna adaptor most units come with the canbus box and if the car has bose sound system then there is an other adaptor needed as static noise can be heard through the sound, the pictures on teyes website shows the unit sitting flush but there is one video on YouTube and it's sitting slightly out a bit more, the extrinsic unit sits nice like OEM

think the new look is tesla huge tablet style screen and everyone wants a huge screen so half so stick out. Seen some with 13in screens. I ended up with a 10in and that looks huge in a mini.
I would get one from somewhere like Amazon as that’s easily returnable if it’s not to your liking or if it’s faulty. I went through 3 units from Amazon, first one faulty, second was slow and unresponsive and now on third one works a treat. The fit into a single din hole was also very different between them.

Just a little follow up, I ended up going with the xtrons headunit and installed it the other night, purchased the OBD11 with it aswell, all I can say is this is a far better upgrade from the oem system (audi nav plus) as I don't have bose system I'm not experiencing any static noise through the speakers which other users have, managed to contect it to home WiFi and plays YouTube and browses the Internet no problem, did try the 4/5g but can't seam to get this to work so still a bit of digging to do on that side, steering wheel controls all work through the supplied canbus box, android auto instantly connects so overall very happy with the purchase, I went for the top spec one and the response speed is class.
Think I will get the reversing camera down the line and get this installed also may look into DAB+
But yeah really good upgrade over the standard system

Reactions: andykn and AlS3BE
Just a little follow up, I ended up going with the xtrons headunit and installed it the other night, purchased the OBD11 with it aswell, all I can say is this is a far better upgrade from the oem system (audi nav plus) as I don't have bose system I'm not experiencing any static noise through the speakers which other users have, managed to contect it to home WiFi and plays YouTube and browses the Internet no problem, did try the 4/5g but can't seam to get this to work so still a bit of digging to do on that side, steering wheel controls all work through the supplied canbus box, android auto instantly connects so overall very happy with the purchase, I went for the top spec one and the response speed is class.
Think I will get the reversing camera down the line and get this installed also may look into DAB+
Always a good idea to go with a reputable brand, especially when it involves a Android headunit.

Just curious, are you able to reprogram/map the steering wheel keys? The standard controls work find out of the box for me (volume, skip etc) via the Canbus module, however I'm unable to map the other keys ('Menu/Voice control etc..). cheers

I had a reversing cam fitted when I had my Pioneer unit installed and it's great.

I fitted the xtrons 4GB unit to the wife’s A3 cabby, I’m impressed, easy to fit and the wireless CarPlay is spot on.