Glow plug lights on all the time, DPF light also on.

JS7319

Reaction score
It looks like my problem is a common one. I have a 2.0L 170 B7. For a while now when ever I used to put my foot down on a hill, especially on the motorway, it lost all power and went into limp mode with the orange coil light coming on. I've learnt to restart the engine to erase the error and resume driving. I went away for a couple of weeks recently and upon returning, the glow plug light is now on all the time and therefore the car is also in limp mode. After all the reading I've done on this forum, it looks like the cause of this issue is the vacuum actuator at the front of the car.

I've also realised that it could be the EGR and inlet manifold butterfly flaps, along with the vacuum actuator. I'm not sure which one to start off with. My plan is to firstly replace the vacuum actuator as this is the cheapest, disconnect the EGR and clean this out, and potentially workout what's going on with the butterfly flaps if I'm confident enough.

Does this sound like a sensible approach? I assume the DPF is linked to all of this too and the carbon has solidified during my 2 week absence hence the blockage.

Here are my error codes

Yeah you’re pretty much bang on, I would clean out the EGR first and that will provide you with an idea of how to go forward.

So I cleaned out the EGR and the error was still present when I turn the key into ignition mode. I could actually take it for a spin because my starter motor failed randomly after the clean.

I'm getting that replaced by my local garage as it's hard to get to, so thought I'd leave that to them.

Do I need to reset the error codes before actually driving it again, or will the lights disappear once the car realises it's no longer blocked?

In
So I cleaned out the EGR and the error was still present when I turn the key into ignition mode. I could actually take it for a spin because my starter motor failed randomly after the clean.

I'm getting that replaced by my local garage as it's hard to get to, so thought I'd leave that to them.

Do I need to reset the error codes before actually driving it again, or will the lights disappear once the car realises it's no longer blocked
Yeah it’s best practice to reset the codes, it may also need a throttle body alignment in vcds.