TFSIe?

abmat

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Anyone got one?

what are the real world figures compared to the publicised ones?

If you had to swap, would you have one over a normal petrol?

Getting rid of the 40tdi and I’m not too keen on the offerings from Merc or BMW.

Reactions: NHN
One of my good friends recently got himself a 50 TFSIe S-Line trim and absolutely loves it. I've sat in it and have been amazed by how it is. I do however need to ask him about the real time figures though on average

Reactions: abmat
Replying back to this. So my friend on average gets about between 45/50 mph but he does some serious frugal driving.

So in reality no better than a 40tdi.

And when you factor in petrol is the same price as diesel round by me the greater outlay doesn’t make it cost effective.

residuals do seem good on them though.

So in reality no better than a 40tdi.

And when you factor in petrol is the same price as diesel round by me the greater outlay doesn’t make it cost effective.

residuals do seem good on them though.
I think given the way diesel cars are currently in freefall it makes sense why people are reluctant to go for them and switching to either petrol or hybrid or electric to hold the value

Hybrids only really make sense if you do lots of short journeys, and primarily in towns and cities. On motorways and the fast A roads, they make little sense as for much of the time the hybrid function is not involved in powering the car and you are affecting fuel consumption with additional battery weight. It used to make me smile when a Prius owning friend would boast about their fuel consumption and I was getting much better with my diesel A6.

If I compare the A6 TFSie fuel consumption mentioned above with my own A6 40TFSi, I am getting an overall average of about 33mpg, however many of my journeys are short (5-10 miles). On longer trips I regularly see over 40mpg but not the 55-60mpg I could see on my previous 40TDi, so the "e" part looks to definitely helps compared to the pure petrol. Also note that currently you can only get a 40TDi as a Quattro, indeed the only 2 wheel drive A6 available is the 40TFSi, but that may be to do with only selling vehicles in stock until the MY24 cars become available later this summer.

Reactions: abmat
The usage that you describe is exactly what I want one for. The better half rarely drives more than 15 miles from home, so in theory the majority of her driving could be done on battery.

my neighbours VW Tiguan is returning 90mpg when on journeys using the built in nav. This maximises and optimises the battery usage. He can easily do a 30 mile round trip on the battery.

@Mkay315 diesels are going up in price again used as the fuel price drops.

I won’t go ev though. Mate has a mustang and lost 20k in 12 months. The only people who’d buy it off him were ford. Even WBAC wouldn’t touch it.

Reactions: Mkay315
The usage that you describe is exactly what I want one for. The better half rarely drives more than 15 miles from home, so in theory the majority of her driving could be done on battery.

my neighbours VW Tiguan is returning 90mpg when on journeys using the built in nav. This maximises and optimises the battery usage. He can easily do a 30 mile round trip on the battery.

@Mkay315 diesels are going up in price again used as the fuel price drops.

I won’t go ev though. Mate has a mustang and lost 20k in 12 months. The only people who’d buy it off him were ford. Even WBAC wouldn’t touch it.
Good Lord 20k depreciation. It could be worse he could have gotten an A8. The depreciation on those cars are hefty and serious. The brave folk who paved the way for the second hand users I salute them because that would burn me to lose that much on depreciation.

The TFSIe is perfect for short runs to work, shops, dropping kids off at school because of the battery range making it ideal for a typical family estate car or an executive city taxi for short to medium typical trips A-B.

It’s not the car I’d go for if you’re doing medium to long distance driving as it is less economical
range per mile compared to the TDI 40.

With regard to resale figures the depreciation on any battery vehicle is significantly more since the potential for battery cell fatigue is present and likely requires extensive repairs.

The only contributing factor with the decline of the diesel engines is higher cost at purchase, emissions tax and so forth. They hold their value better and if you look at the used car market premium vehicles with economical diesel engine platforms are going up in price or hold at a significantly higher value as people sought out newer diesel models to their own.

The TDI 40 still is the better engine all round cost, to value. If you live in the city or large town the TFSIe is the better all round value, to cost.

Reactions: Mkay315