B8.5 S4 to B8.5 RS4?

Eric_RS6

Audi RS6 C7
Reaction score
I’ve got a slight dilemma!!
I’ll soon be in a position to buy a sub £30k RS4 … which has always been a realistic dream car (along with a C7 RS6!).
Thing is, I’ve only just picked up a S4 about 6 months ago and I’m loving it… with a full carbon intake, a cat back exhaust and map it’s great fun with just 60k on the clock.

Do I make the jump to the RS4 or stick with the fun S4?

I have a supercharger pulley and Coilovers ready to go on the S4.. but do I even bother if I’ll be taking them off in 6 months to sell?

Also I’d be looking at a Noggy Blue with wing backs and pan roof for the RS4

I’m not too bothered about chasing BHP numbers as I think the S4 would ultimately win that fight.
The road presence, looks and sound of the V8 just get me everytime!!
Do I stick with the S4 or take the leap to RS4?

RS is always > S

TX.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions: Simon
RS is always > S

TX.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Yeah you aren't wrong. I think the S4 would eventually be quicker with the mods etc - but the RS is just next level in my opinion! plus they hold their money better too.

Reactions: Terminator x
I pondered this long and hard when I had my B8.5 S4. I ran it on stage one for about three years before going stage two, which largely equalised the performance differential between the two. And as we all know, there are plenty of mods available for those who want to bridge the handling and braking gap for still a pretty modest outlay, relative to the price differential between the cars.

But of course that won't turn an S into an RS; the differences are more than just about how fast they go, stop and steer. The cars have fundamentally different characters, one is essentially covert, the other very overt. RS models generally speak openly of their sport/high performance credentials, both in terms of looks (inside and out) and sound where the S has always been discreet. Individual preferences come into play here, and for me personally, the wolf-in-sheep's-clothing nature of a stage two S4 was a much more attractive proposition. So for me, there never was an RS itch; but for those who prefer the overt over the covert, it's likely that no amount of tweaking an S will satisfy the RS itch.

Reactions: Andy Butcher, the_ace1982 and Terminator x
I think you have really hit the nail on the head there in many ways.

I am at stage 1 now with the S4, but have the parts for stage 2, plus coilovers sat in my garage. I'd still need to pay out for a big brake upgrade... but like you said, it is always just going to look like a black s line A4 to most. I could claw back a little money putting it back to standard and trading it in.

I've always admired the RS models and yes I think i would enjoy the showy off aspect of it - I consider it a "yeah it's an RS4, I don't need to prove myself" to the current situation in the S4 where a 'hot hatch' sits on my bumper till I show them yes it is actually quite fast.

I LOVE my S4, and have wanted one for many years but I think I would regret not achieving a personal goal of owning an audi RS model when I could of! Plus, who doesn't love a fast estate?

You had already decided to get the RS before you started this thread.

Reactions: the_ace1982, RyanJonS4, Simon and 3 others
Let’s assume you’re definitely going to buy an RS4 (it would be my dream car too), but for me it would be a B9 in Sonoma Green purely because of the colour. An old school B5 RS Avant bi-turbo and RS2 Avant would be in my dream garage too. :sm4:

If you haven’t already viewed VAG Technic’s channel on YouTube then search them out. Its interesting from a mechanical engineering point of view, given these guys are stripping these performance engines on a daily basis, and the costs won’t be for the faint hearted, so build in a contingency fund for ownership would be my advice.

Quick scan on Autotrader reveals 18 RS4s between £27,500 - £30k. I take it you know the panoramic sunroof will probably leak at some point in your ownership?

Let’s assume you’re definitely going to buy an RS4 (it would be my dream car too), but for me it would be a B9 in Sonoma Green purely because of the colour. An old school B5 RS Avant bi-turbo and RS2 Avant would be in my dream garage too. :sm4:

If you haven’t already viewed VAG Technic’s channel on YouTube then search them out. Its interesting from a mechanical engineering point of view, given these guys are stripping these performance engines on a daily basis, and the costs won’t be for the faint hearted, so build in a contingency fund for ownership would be my advice.

Quick scan on Autotrader reveals 18 RS4s between £27,500 - £30k. I take it you know the panoramic sunroof will probably leak at some point in your ownership?
I can’t stretch to a B9, so B8 is the one for me. I’ve always loved them and a Sepang Blue one especially.
I’ve not seen their page, I’ll check them out though. I have been looking at various videos though and I’m starting to learn a lot about walnut blasting

I must admit I do fancy a Pan Roof - but have heard of the dreaded issues with it. I would deffo have money put aside - it seems decoking the inlet seems to be something that needs doing to ensure you’re running anywhere close to standard figures.

Reactions: spartacus 68
Find my threads on the pano roof. It’s made by Webasto. Personally I’d have too. It’s not so much for having it open. I have roof rails for bikes and it whistles like Dixie. It‘s the light that comes into the cabin I like it for.

Reactions: Eric_RS6
An old school B5 RS Avant bi-turbo and RS2 Avant would be in my dream garage too. :sm4:
And likely that's where they would stay - who could live with the turbo lag of those two cars these days?

Find my threads on the pano roof. It’s made by Webasto. Personally I’d have too. It’s not so much for having it open. I have roof rails for bikes and it whistles like Dixie. It‘s the light that comes into the cabin I like it for.
The wife has requested that the RS4 have a Pan roof so I'll be looking for one with that! Luckily as it was a fairly expensive option I believe from new, they usually have a few more option boxes ticked too.

I'd stick wth the S4 a little longer till you REALLY get bored/itchy, and then skip the RS4 and jump straight to the RS6.

That's what i plan to do :)

goose

I'd stick wth the S4 a little longer till you REALLY get bored/itchy, and then skip the RS4 and jump straight to the RS6.

That's what i plan to do :)

goose
I am still enjoying the S4, it's a great car tbh and I did have big plans for it. I personally can't stretch financially to a decent spec'd RS6 - plus I think I would of cheated myself by missing a logical step with the RS4 to go straight to the RS6, if you get me.

The B8 RS4 avant is a really nice looking car - I did think about finding one with a blown engine and fit my 3.0TDI to it haha

Reactions: Eric_RS6 and jdp1962