17” or 18” 8V wheels for 8Y RS3?

px81

Reaction score
Hi, as in the subject. Considering buying 2021 RS3. Car will be girlfriend’s daily and as she (1) values comfort (2) tends to damage alloy wheels on kerbs; I’m thinking of doing what I have done in similar situation before i.e. buy a set of smaller diameter wheels on ebay.

Will 17 inch clear brake calipers? 18 inch I think will (correct me if wrong).

If I come across A3/S3 wheels on ebay, do I need to make sure those fit 8Y, or will wheels off a 8V car fit also?

thanks!

Hi, as in the subject. Considering buying 2021 RS3. Car will be girlfriend’s daily and as she (1) values comfort (2) tends to damage alloy wheels on kerbs; I’m thinking of doing what I have done in similar situation before i.e. buy a set of smaller diameter wheels on ebay.

Will 17 inch clear brake calipers? 18 inch I think will (correct me if wrong).

If I come across A3/S3 wheels on ebay, do I need to make sure those fit 8Y, or will wheels off a 8V car fit also?

thanks!

Just from guessing, I imagine 17” will be too small but 18” will likely fit over the brakes. Because the standard wheel offset is quite aggressive on the front I think you’ll probably find you need to run a pretty big spacer (but I could be wrong).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JohnM100
Thanks.
And do you know if 8V wheels fit on 8Y cars?
Centre bore and bolt pattern are the same, it's mainly the offset that you'll probably have issues with on the front. I think the standard 8y is 9" wide with 26 offset and the 8V is something like 8.5" wide with a 53 offset? So when you plug the numbers in you'd need a 33-35mm spacer or so just to get them in the same position as the standard 8Y wheels.

If someone has better figures please jump in because it might make the figures above look a bit better if so.

The front wheel is ET25.

I wouldn't worry about kerbing the front wheels - the 265/30 tyres provide ample rim protection.

18s would be tight if they fit. I wouldn't bother as you're changing the dynamics of the car and you would need to inform your insurance company.

Reactions: Gazjs
You need to be careful with 18” fitment.

The brake line on the fronts runs very close as it is to the inside rim.
b885ca79a8e4883cd48fc1fe5a63a133.jpg

aec7e0feddc6087ee579aea35cbd5981.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi.
If you have any issues with insurance at all for a change of wheels then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.