Advanced direct TPMS retrofit error - is my wheel sensor bad?

s3mad_dude

Noggies ruuuule!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I had the advanced Direct TPMS retrofitted (properly by DJAlix) a couple of years ago and it has worked great, but a few times I’ve had an error with the front left TPMS sensor. An error would appear with it saying something like “internal error” or something like that, I can’t remember exactly, so I’d plug VCDS on the car and re-code it and tell the sensor its new wheel position and then the error code was gone. It would do this once every 4-6 months I suppose. Also this one wheel sensor would also move itself around the vehicle. I’d start the car up and the TPMS system would say “wheel change detected”, so I’d put VCDS back on and tell the sensor the new location (always front left).

Anyway, today, another TPMS fault occurred and it says front left sensor “no signal” in VCDS. I’ve tried putting in the sensor ID and wheel position again, which I used to normally do, and it accepts the change (and I clear the code), and then when I go for a drive a short while later the same error and code pops back - no signal.

Is this a sign of a totally failed TPMS wheel sensor, or something more sinister perhaps with my module? There isn’t much retrofit advice for this type of mod so hoping someone can provide some advice before I go off and buy a new wheel sensor (if I don’t really have to).

Many thanks!

Attachments

• 012C02D0-13BF-436A-9050-577FFF0B5030.jpeg
    012C02D0-13BF-436A-9050-577FFF0B5030.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 111
Just to update this, I purchased a replacement OEM tpms tyre valve sensor from here to replace what I thought was a dodgy front passenger (nsf) valve. It turns out the sensor had completely failed and I guess the earlier errors were signs it was failing. I had the replacement valve fitted by the local tyre shop for just £15 and the existing tyre refitted and rebalanced.

Driving home the error “TPMS fault” disappeared by itself and the orange light and information disappeared from the messages tab in the virtual cockpit. Still no pressures and temp info was detected. When I got home, I hooked up VCDS and cleared the error codes attached to the TPMS module. I took the car for a short drive and relearn, and all pressures and temperatures are now displaying and working properly again.

Last edited:
Reactions: ahtcap and CraigM