2006 A4 B7 error code 01331 help needed please

M9GUK

Reaction score
Hi
So I'm having problems with my Keyfobs loosing connection to the car randomly error 01331 drivers door control module intermittent.

When I unlock with key and put key in ignition and turn on the keyfob reconnects, might work for a few days or just a few hours.

I have replaced batteries in keyfob with new ones

I have checked the wiring loom between drivers door and A pillar. I had a broken earth wire which I repaired. I don't think it was completely broken until I removed the rubber sleeve.

I have replaced the drivers door control module with a secondhand unit

Still getting same error 01331 drivers door control module - intermittent

Can anybody suggest where to look next please. I believe from what I read there is a control unit for the central locking/mobilizer under the passenger seat. Could a fault with this be causing the error code for the drivers door?

Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

M9GUK

will be one of these , which are very common probs on B7 platform.

01331 - Door Control Module; Driver Side (J386): Faulty
Possible Causes

• Fuse(s) faulty
  • Wiring/Connectors from/to Control Module faulty
  • Door Control Module Driver Side (J386) faulty
Possible Solutions
  • Check Fuse(s)
  • Check/Repair Wiring/Connectors from/to Control Module
  • Check Door Control Module Driver Side (J386)

have you cleared the stored faults from the log?
9 times out of ten it is damage to the wiring loom to the module, if you have tried another known working module etc that pretty well puts it down to the cabling issue.

Convenience module under passenger seat can get water damaged due to battery area becoming blocked & water overflows down into footwell, so that is a possibility.

Reactions: M9GUK and Charlie Farley
have you cleared the stored faults from the log?
9 times out of ten it is damage to the wiring loom to the module, if you have tried another known working module etc that pretty well puts it down to the cabling issue.
Thanks, yeah cleared faults and checked wires but still intermittent, think maybe need to bite the bullet and buy a new door loom. Want to check every other possibility first

Convenience module under passenger seat can get water damaged due to battery area becoming blocked & water overflows down into footwell, so that is a possibility.
I think that's my next check, thanks

So been thinking, if I'm getting the driver door control module error should the rest of the car doors still unlock/lock or do they all stop working? If they should open but they don't could it be the remote receiver at fault? If so is it the booster behind the NS panel in the boot? If not I have noticed that there also wires on the rear OS window, do they goto the receiver?
OR am I barking up the wrong tree?

Cheers

If they should open but they don't could it be the remote receiver at fault? If so is it the booster behind the NS panel in the boot?
If you're getting the fault code, then I would say, it points to what Charlie and NHN outlined and that particular module/s should be looked at, if all cables, fuses have been checked. The receiver is part of the radio amp unit, but is rarely an issue in Avants, from what I can make out, more often in saloons and much more often again, anecdotally in B6s than 7s. Problems with the receiver would be very poor general signal, i.e remote doesn't work at all from more than a few feet away or completely fails and that would most likely be persistent. I don't believe there is any code for this but I think often also people can rely only on codes, which are not totally all embracing, even with the engine.

If you're getting the fault code, then I would say, it points to what Charlie and NHN outlined and that particular module/s should be looked at, if all cables, fuses have been checked. The receiver is part of the radio amp unit, but is rarely an issue in Avants, from what I can make out, more often in saloons and much more often again, anecdotally in B6s than 7s. Problems with the receiver would be very poor general signal, i.e remote doesn't work at all from more than a few feet away or completely fails and that would most likely be persistent. I don't believe there is any code for this but I think often also people can rely only on codes, which are not totally all embracing, even with the engine.
OK thankyou, appreciate you taking the time to reply. Spending the day on it today

I would just add it certainly sounds consistent with what NHN mentioned, from what I've always heard - did you ever have flooding in your battery compartment, i.e the rubber bungs blocked?

I would just add it certainly sounds consistent with what NHN mentioned, from what I've always heard - did you ever have flooding in your battery compartment, i.e the rubber bungs blocked?
No water problems since I've owned the car which is less than a year and this fault started about 6 months ago. Thing I find weird is when it does it, I unlock the drivers side with the key and put ignition on I hear all the other doors unlock and I press the unlock and lock buttons on the keyfob and it pairs with the car every time. I would have thought if there was an intermittent break in a wires then sometimes I wouldn't be able to pair the keyfob, but it does every time. I've also tried another drivers door module and it still does the same. Be a bit of a coincedence if that module also had the same fault.

Last edited:
Could still be the Convenience module chap. What happens with driver's central locking switch, is that working reliably? I have key insurance and about a couple of years ago, I got a new spare through it. AA came out to deliver and programme it at my place of work, I remember he had a devil of a job getting it all programmed in for some reason. But it's been absolutely perfect since - well worth the 10 quid a year for that insurance and when I drop it in for service I can see them looking at that key, wondering why it looks brand new on a 17 year old car ha ha.

01331 - Door Control Module; Driver Side (J386)
This code does narrow down the area to diagnose quite well as it's one of several codes that pop up all to often in b7's.
The best way is to start again from afresh working through the possible items at fault and paying very careful attention to the wiring to start with.
If you can 100% eliminate water ingress to the cabin and central electrics then moving onto the next item, is the only way, don't get fixated on one area such as keyfobs as it may well be a distraction from the actual source of the fault.
More times than not if you have tested the module and its ok and fuses are good, then it will be wiring, it doesn't take a lot in the B7 to cause electrical nightmares.
check the loom in the drivers very carefully for continuity and then work back through the circuit.
It's only a machine and the fault will become clear once you work through the possible causes for the fault code.
I've been there myself so I know how frustrating it can be.

Last edited:
Reactions: M9GUK
Could still be the Convenience module chap. What happens with driver's central locking switch, is that working reliably? I have key insurance and about a couple of years ago, I got a new spare through it. AA came out to deliver and programme it at my place of work, I remember he had a devil of a job getting it all programmed in for some reason. But it's been absolutely perfect since - well worth the 10 quid a year for that insurance and when I drop it in for service I can see them looking at that key, wondering why it looks brand new on a 17 year old car ha ha.
OK thanks :)

01331 - Door Control Module; Driver Side (J386)
This code does narrow down the area to diagnose quite well as it's one of several codes that pop up all to often in b7's.
The best way is to start again from afresh working through the possible items at fault and paying very careful attention to the wiring to start with.
If you can 100% eliminate water ingress to the cabin and central electrics then moving onto the next item, is the only way, don't get fixated on one area such as keyfobs as it may well be a distraction from the actual source of the fault.
More times than not if you have tested the module and its ok and fuses are good, then it will be wiring, it doesn't take a lot in the B7 to cause electrical nightmares.
check the loom in the drivers very carefully for continuity and then work back through the circuit.
It's only a machine and the fault will become clear once you work through the possible causes for the fault code.
I've been there myself so I know has frustrating it can be.
Thankyou :)