Oil in intake manifold 1.8t

T3r0

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

So, first of i built my first engine and got it running and all. Learned alot of things and probably did some misstakes, witch leads to my problem.

I realized that the engine had lost a good portion of oil after running it for a while. I took off the pressure hose from the throtlebody and found oil in the throtlebody and in the intake manifold, there was no oil in the pressure hoses.

I suspect i have messed up something with my pistion rings and am getting too much blowby increasing my crankcase pressure.

Is there any way i can confirm if the problem is my rings?

Everything in the crankcase ventilation system is new.

Ive also done the vacuum canister delete and secondary airpump delete. Bought a kit from BAR-TEK. If that has anything to do with my problem?

Happy for any help i can get

compression test and a leakdown would be the first thing i'd look at if your worries about the rings.

Reactions: T3r0
I'll start with that then.
Thanks
Okey, so ive done the leakdown test. I did it on a cold engine if that matters?
I got about 10% leakage on all cylinders, i could hear air escape through the dipstick, that should be all good as far as i can tell, right?

Gonna do the compression test next.

How can oil push into the intake manifold? The only way that is wet with oil is down from the intake runners. How can the oil push up from the valves? I mean, the flow of air is going in to the engine. This would tell me i have backpressure at some point in the engine?

The oil vapours from the pcv, go through the TIP, compressor housing, charge pipe, intercooler pipe work and condense in the throttle body and intake, some will pass through the engine and be combusted so will be blue smoke out the exhausts.

Unless you also replaced the intercooler(s) they still may have puddles of oil in them.

But you are losing oil? Like how much a litre every 1000 miles is probably acceptable in VAG thresholds.

Also did you replace the valves and guides, and did you correctly push the seals onto the guides?

Last edited:
The oil vapours from the pcv, go through the TIP, compressor housing, charge pipe, intercooler pipe work and condense in the throttle body and intake, some will pass through the engine and be combusted so will be blue smoke out the exhausts.

Unless you also replaced the intercooler(s) they still may have puddles of oil in them.

But you are losing oil? Like how much a litre every 1000 miles is probably acceptable in VAG thresholds.

Also did you replace the valves and guides, and did you correctly push the seals onto the guides?
Intercooler is new and hoses are dry.
I probably lost like 1/4 of my dipstick in 20 miles. Hard to tell how much exactly. But lost a good amount in a few miles and I have kindoff alot of oil in the intake manifold and on my intake valves and in my cylinders .

Did you do the compression test?

If it is rings, did you gap them correctly, just seems weird if oil is on the top of all 4 cylinders,

This does say up to 20% is okay past the rings, not sure how applicable, that is to our engines?

You can rule out the oil coming from the charge circuit by looking at you new FMIC (I assume) to see if there is any in there, or even in the charge pipe, if it is from vapour it might not condense in the pipe work?

Is it possible to see if any new oil is getting onto the top of intake valves If you remove the intake manifold and turn the engine over by hand? Point to incorrectly pushed on valve seals.. you need to properly push them on? They don't quite click but you know they are home....

Last edited:
Did you do the compression test?

If it is rings, did you gap them correctly, just seems weird if oil is on the top of all 4 cylinders,

This does say up to 20% is okay past the rings, not sure how applicable, that is to our engines?

Top ring is 0.41 and second ring is 0.55.
The second ring gap is too big but that was what it was out of the box. Because of a missunderstanding i drilled my cylinders to 81.53 instead of 81.50 because the chart i got with the pistions was missguiding so i did a wrong inturpetation.
But bar-tek said the gaps would be fine.

Top ring is 0.41 and second ring is 0.55.
The second ring gap is too big but that was what it was out of the box. Because of a missunderstanding i drilled my cylinders to 81.53 instead of 81.50 because the chart i got with the pistions was missguiding so i did a wrong inturpetation.
But bar-tek said the gaps would be fine.

Compression shows
Cylinder 1: 205 psi
Cylinder 2: 205 psi
Cylinder 3: 212 psi
Cylinder 4: 210 psi

So all good there

Isn't that too high?

When I bought rings from Badger5, they needed grinding down? Maybe you got a precision kit or something...

With the inlet manifold off you said the intake valves had oil on top of them? And the pistons all had oil on top of them.. unless it's coming from the seals above... it seems crazy to get oil into the throttle body which isn't from the charge circuit

Isn't that too high?

When I bought rings from Badger5, they needed grinding down? Maybe you got a precision kit or something...

With the inlet manifold off you said the intake valves had oil on top of them? And the pistons all had oil on top of them.. unless it's coming from the seals above... it seems crazy to get oil into the throttle body which isn't from the charge circuit
I mesured and grinded my rings aswell. But the bottom ring got the gap it got..

I im not sure where the oil comes from. But it's there, and the pressure pipes are clean.