S3 - Disappointing brakes?

Revulike

Reaction score
Anyone else underwhelmed by the S3's brakes?
To me they lack responsiveness, rather like old non-servo brakes. I find I am having to press harder than I expect to, especially in emergencies.
I've fitted EBC Yellowstuff pads, which were absolutely perfect on my previous car - a 2015 TT, which used the same calipers but had smaller discs front and rear.
Although the S3 is about 200Kgs heavier than a TT, I thought the larger discs may compensate.

Anyone upgraded?

They feel great to me, having come from a Cupra Born (where the first 1/3 of pedal travel is to manage levels of regen/recovery and feels unnerving to the uninitiated).

Are you saying the Yellowstuff pads aren't doing much for you, or that you changed from stock to yellowstuff because OEM wasn't up to expectations and the Yellowstuff ones are little/no better?

In an emergency, I'll jump on that pedal without wondering about any excessive effort. I haven't used them in anger yet, but they don't feel any worse than my 2015 Golf R - some S3 owners could be irked that the MK8 Golf R got marginally bigger drilled discs, but the R definitely looks like it's trying to give more of a track focussed vibe than the S3.

The yellowstuff pads are better than whatever was on there previously (probably the oem), but they haven't improved things as much as I'd hoped.
It might be partly due to me comparing the S3 to a TT, which is a far more balanced and nimble car, lighter and lower.

I'm not fussed about drilled discs - plain ones are good enough for road use and drilled ones can crack. I think the discs are also good enough for road use - maybe bigger ones for repeated track days.

I notice the S3 has an electronic servo with adjustable settings.........doesn't seem to be configurable with OBD11 though.

The yellowstuff pads are better than whatever was on there previously (probably the oem), but they haven't improved things as much as I'd hoped.
It might be partly due to me comparing the S3 to a TT, which is a far more balanced and nimble car, lighter and lower.

I'm not fussed about drilled discs - plain ones are good enough for road use and drilled ones can crack. I think the discs are also good enough for road use - maybe bigger ones for repeated track days.

I notice the S3 has an electronic servo with adjustable settings.........doesn't seem to be configurable with OBD11 though.
Does that servo change with driving mode? Haven't noticed myself.

Like monkeyhanger, I think the brakes on the S3 are great, I've no complaints at all with the standard set up.

Last edited: